This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid @#$%%## thieves and scammers!

Late night/early morning May 10/11, I arrived home at 3am exhausted and completely out of it. While getting out of my car I heard a thunk, but thought nothing of it. I hit the lock button on the door, plodded into the house and went straight to bed. At 7AM I rolled over to grab my phone only to discover it wasn't there. Well, shit. That's what that thunk was: my phone falling out of my pocket. Then I go outside to get my phone and realize my door is unlocked. Weird. I open the door and start looking for the phone and realize that the glove compartment and center console are open and the contents had been tossed out. Double shit. I go inside, log into my iCloud account on my laptop to locate my phone and it's offline. Well fuck. At this point the only logical conclusion is that my car's been broken into and my phone is gone, but what else was gone?

Turns out that in addition to my phone, my son's skateboard, a pack of cigarettes, the folder with the registration/insurance/bill of sale (original and second owner)/maintenance records, and a tool bag with a couple hundred bucks worth of basic hand tools are also missing. Now, my phone was a 16GB iPhone 6 Plus with an OtterBox Defender series case on it (Total about $800). The skateboard was worth about $50 and approximately $200 worth of tools, and now we have Grand Theft. Yay.

Of course, I have Apple Care on my phone, which covers damage, but does not cover lost/stolen. Dammit. *sigh* Oh well. I'm eligible for an upgrade on the 29th, so I pull rank on my youngest kid, have my cell phone carrier do what they need to do to report my phone as stolen, and then have them suspend the kid's line and put my phone number on his phone. Too many doctors, therapists, lawyers, CPS workers (not my kids, the girl I posted about some time back...I'm still very involved in her life), and schools have that number, so I need that one to be active. It sucks being the youngest, as that was the phone I commandeered.

Fast forward to tonight. I get a phone call from a man claiming that he'd bought a phone off Craigslist and when he turned it on it had a lock screen flashing my number on it. I informed him it was a stolen phone and I'd like it back. He got all panicky and said he couldn't afford to lose the money and blah blah blah and he'd call back in a half hour and then hung up on me. Of course, I immediately called the police to update them on what had happened. For the moment, we were working of the idea that he was legit in his story, but I wanted to cover my bases. He didn't call back, so I called him. It rang a bunch of times then went to voice mail. It's a Magic Jack number. Oh-oh. This isn't looking so good. I left a message, still playing the party line that he's just some hapless schmuck who got cheated, and said that I realize that it sucks to lose money, but that it's my phone and the right thing to do is turn it in to his local police (the number ID'd from a town about 45 minutes away from me), and they would get it back to me.

Then the officer from my local department called back. I filled him in on everything that happened and he tried to call the number. Apparently, the way Magic Jack works is that if the owner of the number has never called you, it's an "unknown number" and it doesn't let the call through. The police here had tried to call him to leave a message, still playing the line that he's a victim, saying that failure to turn it in could be a felony, and that the police there would work with him to attempt to recover his money and yada, yada, yada. He couldn't do that, so he asked if I would. Of course I would. So I did. As soon as I said who I was, the dude hung up on me. And then I really got mad. I called back and he sent me straight to voicemail after half a ring. I left the message the police told me to, and then called the cops back.

Now, I firmly believe that the dude who called me isn't some hapless schmuck, but the actual thief who was trying to con me into giving him money to get my own phone back. It didn't work very well. I'll wait two more weeks for my free upgrade, while he sits there with an iPhone 6 Plus shaped brick, thank you very much! In the meantime, I'm pissed, so I called the officer back and left a message updating him, and told him I'd like to throw everything they can at this guy. Given the value of what was taken from my car alone (6 other cars that we know of were hit that night in my neighborhood), this is Grand Theft, and I'm pissed enough to try to nail this guy to the wall. Now here's hoping that the police feel the same way.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Thiefs are the worst, and it seems like this one is not too bright.

I hope things turn out well.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Not to bright might be an understatement. Looks like their attention to scam me might be the key to break up a much larger petty theft/scam ring. I don't want to say too much, but even if I never recover the phone, some good may come out of this.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Definitely didn't think some things through.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Fingers crossed, prepping for possible updates...

PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Hope that some good does come of this, but sad you lost so much stuff. *offers hugs & cookies*
            1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
            -----
            http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Thanks. The investigation is still open. Unfortunately, my local police department is kind of small and doesn't have a dedicated homicide division, as they almost never have them (average 1 per year). Unfortunately, that one per year happened right as my case was breaking open (not connected), so the department has pulled all their detectives off their regular cases to work the homicide. The detective I've been working with told me they aren't very far from an arrest in my case, and hopefully he'll be able to get back to it in a few days. I don't want to go into detail about what they have or don't have, for obvious reasons. But I will update this as soon as I know anything.

In the meantime, the phone replacement situation is sort of sorted out. I should have a new phone Friday, though a 5s, not a 6 plus, which really kind of blows, but I'll take it for reasons that should probably be it's own thread. My kid will be glad to have his phone back. I pulled rank, as I needed my line active for all the doctors/therapists/schools/etc. that frequently call me, so I had my number transferred to the kid's phone, and had his line suspended. Sucks being the youngest.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                Fingers crossed, prepping for possible updates...
                What the fuck is that thing???

Mathnerd; so sorry. Hope the cops nail this bastard!
                Last edited by MadMike; 06-01-2015, 01:02 AM. Reason: Did you really have to quote the image???
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

It's Discord, from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, played by Star Trek alum John de Lancie
                  Last edited by Tama; 05-30-2015, 08:22 AM.
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Update: My phone was connected to a wifi network and wiped out. In China.

Comment

....wow Just wow. I didn't think people would go to that kind of trouble.
                      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Your phone is in China! Wow, that blows me away that the crooks went hat far with it. Sadly, it's gone now.
                        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

From what I've read online, sending stolen goods to China seems to be a common thing. Especially with higher end products. It sucks that this happened to you, mathnerd. I understand the requirements for having a phone at all times, and when you fork over good money for something good you hope and pray nothing happens. I hope that the thief ends up with one hell of a karmic kickback.

Comment

Honestly I'm more than a little surprised that it didn't wind up somewhere in Mexico, as it only takes about 20 minutes for me to drive to the nearest border crossing. There are places I like to go, not to far from my house, where I have to turn off roaming/cellular data because the signal bounces off a Mexican tower. I would have thought the easiest way to dump it would have been there.

Comment

If you have find my iPhone active, and it sounds like you do, then you can view and delete information on the phone via icloud.com
                              My store had a demo iPhone 6 flogs, but I had put find my iPhone on it. It ended up in Vietnam and I kept getting photos of a teenager on the other iPhones that were on holiday same icloud account. I kept locking the phone and sending messages in Vietnamese that the phone was stolen. I also kept deleting the photos and content (http phone was stolen by a Vietnamese man, and by the first group of photos was probably related to the teenager). I stopped doing after a couple of months ago my managers request.

Comment

Working...
                              X