This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, aren't you special.

The tourist season is picking up around here, and with it comes a flood of entitled jerks. The one I encountered at the gas station yesterday was one of the special ones.

Our cast:

Me: Myself and I.
    EJ: Entitled Jerkwad - incidentally he looked about 4 - 5 years older than me.
    EJF: EJ's friend, which clearly calls into question his intelligence and/or poor character judgment.

I pulled in, got gas, and was scrubbing some wiper/washer fluid resistant crud off my windshield with the scrubber/squeegee that the station provides between the gas pumps. As I was doing this, a couple of vehicles pulled up on either side of the pump behind me and the drivers were conversing. I wasn't paying a lot of attention to them until this happened:

EJ: *speaking to his friend* Do you need your windshield cleaned?

EJF: Yes, that would be nice.

EJ: You!

Me: ... *cleaning my windshield and really not paying attention*

EJ: You, boy! You need to wash my friend's windshield when you're done there.

Me: ... *thinking: you'd better not be talking to me like that*

EJ: You! Boy! In the black t-shirt!

Me: * ORLY? He IS talking to me!* Call me 'boy' one more time and I'll come over there to shove this squeegee up your ass, you obnoxious prick.

EJ: Who do you think you are? I'm going to have you fired! Where's your manager?

Me: Not working today, but her name is Irene and her direct dial work phone number is 555-5555 if you want to leave a message. *I then chucked the squeegee back into the holder and drove off, with EJ just staring at me as I went.*

I'm waiting for my boss to arrive now to find out if the tool actually called her. I'm pretty sure that not cleaning someone's windshield on demand at the gas station will have no impact at all on my job as a corporate accountant / accounts payable supervisor.

Even if I did work for the gas station, calling me 'boy' is not going to get you what you want.
    Last edited by Gerrinson; 06-15-2015, 01:27 PM. Reason: I'm my own grammar-Nazi.

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
    I'm pretty sure that not cleaning someone's windshield on demand at the gas station will have no impact at all on my job as a corporate accountant / accounts payable supervisor.
    Well, not unless Irene is a complete tool anyway...
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Ho-ly crap. I think you were more restrained than I would have been!

Comment

I applaud you for saying aloud what others may not have had the gumption to do.

Seriously, I haven't seen a gas station offer windshield washing to anyone for decades! I can get them to pump my gas for me because I'm disabled, but I don't think I could get them to clean my windshield unless it were a safety hazard covered in mud or something and the worker took pity on me.
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Man, if someone had said that to me, I'd probably have responded similarly, but not given them my boss' phone or anything. I'd just have said, "I don't work here, f@#khead."
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I'm waiting for my boss to arrive now to find out if the tool actually called her.
            And...? Don't leave us hanging!
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Best way I've found to break my youngest is to say, "Mommy doesn't understand rude," and not acknowledge him until he uses his manners.

"I don't understand rude," ignore until they are polite, and then tell them you don't work there!
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

WTF? "You, boy"? Seriously??? Who the hell says that?? This guy thinks he's JP Morgan or something?? In 2015 no less?

You were definitely more restrained than I would have been.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I would have replied with a hearty, "Yes, sir!", then spit repeatedly on his windshield before giving it a token swipe with the squeegee and walking away.

Comment

Holy CRAP! And there was NO indication to him that you worked there? No similar clothing colors or anything?

Comment

Oh, I'd LOVE it if a customer presumed I worked somewhere I don't and got nasty with me. You have to restrain yourself when you're working, but hell, I'd let rip at them seeing as I'd be a customer just like they are

If they end up phoning your boss, please keep us updated!

Comment

Way back when, I was wearing my Dice manager's shirt when I stopped at the grocery store. I grabbed a cart from the parking lot and was pushing it into the store when someone grabbed the cart and DEMANDED that I give it to him. I refused. He yelled at me because he was the customer and needed my cart. I walked past him with cart proudly in front of me.

He contacted Dice Corp to lodge a complaint that I was so unhelpful and rude.

My boss laughed and laughed and I always changed out of my shirt before leaving after that.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in responding, things at work went to hell real quick on Monday. I might make a CoC post about it later, but after 2 days I'm still seething about the stuff that came up. And co-opted all my time doing someone else's work. *sigh*

Anyway, the jackass did not call my boss. I was hoping there would be a great message, but nothing. Maybe he finally figured out I didn't work there?

As for the 'no indication that I worked there' - nope. The employees where black slacks and a grey/red shirts with logos & name tags. I was wearing a black t-shirt and jeans with a couple gaping holes in them (but they're so comfy!)

I have to wonder if maybe he didn't go inside to lodge a complaint and they informed him I was just another customer.

Comment

I have to wonder if maybe he didn't go inside to lodge a complaint and they informed him I was just another customer.
                            Either that or writing a paper letter
                            Tell me that you gave your manager a heads up on this nonsense.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

The tourist season is picking up around here, and with it comes a flood of entitled jerks.
                              Tourist season, you say? What's the bag limit?
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X