Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People who complain about weather alerts...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who complain about weather alerts...

...really make me laugh. From the local news' Facebook page:

You are killing me with the thunderstorm warnings as I try to watch the US Open golf tournament. Unless there is a tornado WARNING we do not care.
    I love the irony of that statement. Killing you with thunderstorm warnings. That guy must not have lived here long, we regularly have tornadoes and funnel clouds spawn from what are supposed to be minor storms, and it's been pouring down rain so hard lately that we couldn't see through the windshield when we had to go out earlier.

As for the "we do not care" part, dude, speak for yourself. I don't drive and the only vehicle I have when Hubs is at work doesn't run. With a 1-year-old to look after, I am as paranoid as possible about any storm that has the slightest chance of turning serious. I care very much about the weather, and absolutely not at all about golf.

Yeah, sports are SOOO much more important than people being warned of possible flooding, lightning strikes, or tornadoes.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

"Everyone complains about the weather, but nobody ever does anything about it."

Obviously, whoever says stupid things like that FB quote has never had to do anything outside with the threat of bad weather approaching. They probably sit in an easy chair all day, sipping a favorite beverage and watching some mindless programming on the idiot box.

I hope a bolt of lightning flies out of their TV, and zaps their Diet Coke.
    Goofy music!
    Old tech junk!

Comment

Heck I REALLY need sever weather updates/warnings for my JOB.

Is there a nasty thunderstorm, hail, tornados, blizzard forecasted or coming our way.

YOU DAMN right I want to know about it as this effects how I do my job, how safe my job is going to be that shift, and IF I can persuade the MOD to STOP delivery if the weather will make my driving very unsafe.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I admit that I've been known to complain about Emergency Alert System notices, but that's because in my area, the sound quality is so poor that it's impossible to understand what's being said (and of course, no closed captioning on those!). Roaring static is NOT useful transmission of information!

Intelligible warnings/alerts regarding needed info are important enough that Mr. Armchair Golfer can just shut up.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

You are killing me with the thunderstorm warnings as I try to watch the US Open golf tournament. Unless there is a tornado WARNING we do not care.
          You are killing me with your US Open golf tournament warnings as I try to watch the thunderstorm. Unless there is a meteor impacting the course we do not care.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Any sort of alert that wakes us up in the middle of the night (we sleep with the radio on) is usually something like the parents from "Peanuts" mixed with loud static. We can usually understand enough to catch if it's a test, weather alert, or Amber Alert, but that's it.

We DID have a problem with tornado sirens going off every time there was a storm that had the slightest chance of producing a tornado (which is almost every storm ever). Eventually the people in charge realized, "Hey, nobody believes the tornado sirens anymore, we should probably use them a bit less." Since then, it's only been a few times a year versus once a week during tornado season.
            The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
              We DID have a problem with tornado sirens going off every time there was a storm that had the slightest chance of producing a tornado (which is almost every storm ever). Eventually the people in charge realized, "Hey, nobody believes the tornado sirens anymore, we should probably use them a bit less." Since then, it's only been a few times a year versus once a week during tornado season.
              My community blows the sirens for severe thunderstorms as well as tornadoes.

This started 15 years ago after we had a bad storm go through that didn't produce any confirmed tornadoes, but caused a lot of damage from hail and high winds.

The elected officials don't want to deal with people irate that they weren't warned about a damaging storm even if it didn't produce a tornado. I can understand that, but I do think the sirens are sounded too frequently.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I have a weather app on my phone that alerts me to warnings and such. I had to turn the sound off because it would blare an alarm for every little thing ever. In the middle of the night when I'm trying to sleep. Flash flood watch all the way up to tornado warning. Luckily I can hear the tornado sirens if they go off so I'm not missing anything.
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

^Me too. Plus I have an uncanny knack for awakening just before the sirens do go off.

One time my phone blasted the Emergency Broacast System This Is Not A Test Dammit noise for a flood warning that wasn't for my immediate area. After checking my lucky rocketship underpants for soilage, I disabled storm alerts on my phone and tablet.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                  X