Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, that was a thing (Empath problems)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, that was a thing (Empath problems)

I have what I call an unreliable Spidey-sense. Once or twice, I've been hit by a very strong wave of emotion but I have no idea where it came from or why I'm feeling that way. It happened to me just now, worse than I've ever had it happen in a good long while. This time, in the form of an intense nervous excitement that is making me both twitchy and feel like I'm going to throw up.

No idea what brought it on. There's nothing going on in my life right now that would warrant it. O.o No concerts or shows I'm going to for another couple-a weeks, my sister's visit is still almost a week away and I wasn't even particularly nervous about that to begin with...

So...uhm...has this happened to anyone else? And how do I figure out what it means? PM me or leave a comment here or something because I'm a bit weirded out.
    Last edited by firecat88; 06-27-2015, 01:04 AM.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Could it have to do with SCOUS's gay marriage ruling today? That's big news that could lead to excitement.

Comment

What you're describing is consistent with how many people describe the feeling of a panic attack. Your fight or flight response suddenly, and for no reason, going "OH HOLY SHIT!" Super excitement and freaked-out-edness are very similar.

Now, if this feeling was followed by shaking, driving post haste to your best friends house, kinda sorta breaking in (her bf left the door unlocked, not my fault!) and then bawling on her shoulder for five minutes...then your symptoms would be consistent with my reaction to the scotus ruling.

In the former instance, I would recommend consulting a health-care professional. I am not qualified to offer any advice, other than the fact that some people find a dose of caffeine helpful. One friend used to keep chocolate espresso beans in her purse for emergencies.

In the latter instance, I would recommend a party! I will be providing treatment for several similarly-afflicted friends tomorrow, with rainbow cake and possibly balloons.
      My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
        Could it have to do with SCOUS's gay marriage ruling today? That's big news that could lead to excitement.
        Though that is very cool and I'm happy to hear about it, I don't think so. This was more like the excited I get when I'm at a concert and I'm about to go get autographs and pictures with the band. Like, it's a very specific feeling I've had before, but there's no real reason I should be having it now.
        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Panic or anxiety attacks can happen even if the upcoming thing is a good thing. My sister used to get them sometimes when we used to go to cons. A few days before we were due to leave, usually. Even if you're not worried, sad or scared, "good" stress can sometimes bring these feelings on. If "nervous excitement" is how you would describe these feelings, than I would almost bet that they're related to that upcoming concert and visit.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I get bursts of intense emotion often enough that I have to ask myself every time whether the emotion I'm feeling is caused by something external (hey, cool, we're going to a con), or internal (dammit my hindbrain is messing around again).

The neurochemical part of emotion is caused by several organs in the back of the brain (brainstem area, if you remember the 'Pinky and the Brain' song about neural anatomy). Like any body organs, they can become unreliable.

If emotional surges like this only happen to you once every other blue moon, and never severely enough to more than make you go 'what?', tell your doctor but otherwise leave it alone. Consider it to be no more significant than a shoulder that clicks sometimes, or the occasional ache in your leg.

If they happen often enough or badly enough to impact on your life, get your doctor to refer you to a 'mental physiotherapist' - basically, see any of my many discussions on the topic.

But since it sounds like this is your first time ever ... eh, you've got an ache in your hindbrain. Get some rest, make sure it's got plenty of micronutrients to work with, and maybe do some stuff you enjoy that you find relaxing: a nice bubble bath or a good game of tennis or some such.
            Eat a good salad with lots of different veg, and if you like seafood, get some oily fish into you.

Edit to expand on the 'food' thing:

Your neurochemistry requires some chemicals (nutrients) that the rest of your body doesn't use much of. Your brain uses 'a lot of' oils and fats, for instance. Though 'a lot' in this case means roughly one avocado worth per week, or one serve of oily fish, or one handful of olives.
            To keep your neural chemistry well supplied, make sure you do eat about that much of an oily fruit or veg, or oily fish, per week. That provides the .. hm. Grossly oversimplifying, the oils and fats provide a framework for the neural chemicals, and the various other micronutrients provide the bits that make each neural chemical different from the others. Eating a variety of foods should ensure that you get a nice mix of nutrients to turn into 'chemical bits' for the neural chemicals.

And yes, this is my understanding of how it works, and I'm only an 'armchair expert' (ie, not really at all) in neurochemistry. And worse, this is an oversimplification of my understanding. If you want more accurate - or detailed - information, look for one of the online free courses provided by a reputable university: some of those have lectures or textbooks accessible to everyone, whether you're enrolled or not.
            Last edited by Seshat; 06-28-2015, 09:09 AM.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

All the time. Part of the reason I dislike large groups of people is that I can "feel" their emotions. Even in a completely silent crowd, it is just to darn noisy.

I prefer a more subtle and balanced emotional states.
              I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Working...
              X