This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take A Pill

This one came from one of my coworkers. Apparently, on my day off, an elderly man came in with his wife, and brought some vitamins that he had bought at our store. Now, at First Job, we do not sell anything for more than $1.25. So, keep in mind that these are cheap, cheap vitamins, and probably made of powdered plastic and gelatin.

He came up to the cashier, already aggressive, and demanded that we refund him for the vitamins because they 'made his wife sick'. We cannot do refunds, exchanges only. It even says so on the receipt. So the cashier called up the assistant manager, El, and as she was trying to talk to him, he claimed that he actually had bought four bottles, not three, but also that he didn't even have his receipt. El started to say that we couldn't do anything, and this guy just laid into her. He was screaming about how he was going to sue us, just going completely insane.

It got so that two male customers came and stood by El, and one of them started arguing with the old man, like, "Calm the f*ck down, buddy, you're gonna sue them, yeah right, get your head out of your ass," sort of thing. Needless to say it did not calm PsychoGeezer down. Eventually he left, still threatening us. We haven't heard anything about it yet. And I don't think his wife said a single word the entire time.

I'll update if anything comes of it, but wow. I'm glad I wasn't there, because I doubt I could have acted professionally.
    Last edited by The_Mysterious_Mr_L; 06-27-2015, 05:21 PM.

Costs

Costs of pills $1.25 * 4 = $5.00

Cost of Lawyer to start a lawsuit $100.00

I would really worry that he is going to sue!

Comment

Haha, well, I think we all know it's an empty threat. I'm amazed he thought it would effect us at all, honestly. I've just never heard of someone actually threatening to sue us before, it was only something I read about on here!

Comment

"As you have stated you will be seeking legal representation, kindly direct all future communications to our legal department."

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
          Cost of Lawyer to tell you that you have no case $100.00
          FTFY

I have heard the "I'll sue" threats in person, more than once. It's simply one of the usual intimidation tactics. It's right up there with the "I know/am related to the owner" tactic, and just as fictional, 99.9999% of the time. They just want you to shut up and do whatever they tell you.

As for the proper reaction, computeraide hit the nail on the head. That is the absolute best, most practical way to handle it, for the simple reason that it minimizes the company's exposure to liability. Let the guys who are paid the big bucks to handle legal matters handle it.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I've often wondered, do these people actually WANT to follow through on the lawsuit, but just lack the money to do it? Or, do they know they're SOL and just hope the other guys cave when they hear the L-word?

Just curious, because the end result is always the same, they look funny and we all laugh.
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I honestly believe that nobody, save for perhaps the crazies (e.g., the ones who take "the customer is always right" literally), actually intends to do anything of the sort. They're just acting like bullies, and trying to intimidate workers into (at times) something that could very well get them fired for violating policy.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

There's three possibilities:

1. threat was pure intimidation- most likely
                2. the lawyers keep laughing them out of the office- possible if they actually know a lawyer
                3. They can't afford it- least likely, simply because i doubt it would get to the stage where money would come up. Most lawyers will at least do a free initial consultation...

Comment

Yer probably right on #3 -- but If I were a lawyer, I'd charge for that if it turns out to be a waste of my time ^_^ If there's a viable case, I'd waive the charge or just give them a discount of the same amount for future charges.

Comment

I suddenly feel bad for a lot of lawyers, because you just know that 1 in every 100 of these crazies has the money to get that far... and they have to patiently remind them that no, we don't just go into court and say whatever the hell you want, we are legally obligated to make a good-faith inquiry into the complaint, see what laws and contracts are in place, and so on and so on...

And the poor lawyer finds themselves probably threatened with being added to the suit for being "in on it too!"
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X