This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bro's Cat, is it ok for him?

So I need some advice. I'm taking care of my bro's cat while he is remodeling and selling his place. My building allows cats but also makes us have mandatory pest sprays for roaches. Won't the pets get poisoned too?
    I told bro that I'm afraid that his cat will get sick from the spray and plus that I read that if he eats a poisoned roach, he'll get sick! Bro was furious with me, saying that my place needs to be sprayed and that he doesn't care if his cat gets sick from it.
    I saw the cat eating one so I know that he eats them. He rips off the head and shakes it around like a dog. LOL. I guess what I'm asking is are there safe sprays for pets? :\ I had them spray once and it only made the bug problem worse, IMHO. The letter they gave me didn't say anything about it being non toxic.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Can you find out exactly which pesticide spray is being used? Is the pesticide used mandatory, or can you provide something you'd rather have used? There are several compounds used, some relatively non toxic to cats. Is the cat actually eating the roaches, or just dismembering them and playing with them? If he's actually eating them, you might try to divert him with some food puzzles. Also, sticky traps inside cabinets and other places where the cat can't get into might help curb the number of bugs the cat has access to.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I know they make roach/bug sprays that are non-toxic to humans (and, therefore, safe to use in restaurants -- in theory), maybe they make pet-safe ones, too? Ask at a local feed store.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

YES pesticides will make the cat sick! They're poisons. A non-toxic pesticide is a contradiction in terms. And "bro" doesn't care?? Why does he even have a cat?

Read the label of the pesticide if you can. They usually state that pets should be removed from the premises before use and kept out for a certain length of time after as well. These products can cause major illness or death. Please, if you care about the cat, don't expose him to this stuff.
        Last edited by MoonCat; 06-30-2015, 12:32 AM.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Orkin sprays my house once every 3 months on a routine basis. I've never had any issues with Taz getting sick.

I've got ants again. Got to call them back to spray again. All the rain drives them indoors.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            YES pesticides will make the cat sick! They're poisons. A non-toxic pesticide is a contradiction in terms. And "bro" doesn't care?? Why does he even have a cat?

Read the label of the pesticide if you can. They usually state that pets should be removed from the premises before use and kept out for a certain length of time after as well. These products can cause major illness or death. Please, if you care about the cat, don't expose him to this stuff.
            I think he meant that he cares more about me, his sister, getting overrun by roaches than his cat getting sick. Sometimes he speaks too harshly. My place isn't that overrun, but he THINKS it is. I see a bug ever so often, but hey, I live on the ground floor and the building is right next to thick woods, you're bound to have bugs! As long as it's not mosquitos or wasps it's fine.

Bro's place is getting sold in a month so I guess I'll just have to hold on a bit longer. Can't risk the poor cats getting sick. Though, I also read that roaches have bacteria in them and he might get sick from them anyway. Hopefully not as bad as the former though. He's so cute. He makes prrr prrr noises wish I could have a cat but I haven't the time for them for 13 years.
            Can't reason with the unreasonable.
            The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Yeah, roaches are generally pretty filthy.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                YES pesticides will make the cat sick! They're poisons. A non-toxic pesticide is a contradiction in terms.
                Diatomaceous Earth. It's a non-toxic (to humans and pets) pesticide. Basically the silicon dioxide exoskeletons of microorganisms, it has sharp edges (on a microscopic scale) that scratch through the vapour-proof layer on the outside of an insect's exoskeleton, so that the bug dries out.

Other non-toxic (at least in the dose a kid or pet would eat) pesticides include a mixture of icing sugar and baking powder (roaches can't burp - the sugar is the bait, and the baking powder gives them a lethal case of gas), and icing sugar and plaster of paris (again the sugar is the bait, and the plaster will set up and block the bug's guts).
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                X