This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I call this job back?

As you know, I lost my job after a month. When that job was offered to me, I had another offered as well. The second job, he was happy as hell to talk to me and told me I set the bar very high for anyone else that applied.

The day that I lost the first job, my husband sent an email to the second job letting him know that I was available.

The second job called me yesterday but my phone was dead and I didn't get the notice until today. I don't know what to do. I'm not emotionally ready to go back to work, I know that. But if I don't reply, I could lose any chance at this and I need to work because we have bills to pay. I think I could be happy at the job, but if this one blows up in my face too when I'm not ready to handle it, I don't know how I'd handle it right now.

What would you do?

Go for it. See if you can get a bit of breathing time before you start but I'd go for it even if you can't.
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
      What would you do?
      I'd agree with Gizmo. I don't know how much time you feel you need, but as a friend of mine says, "You can always say no."

I would at least return the call to keep a good rapport with the person. What would the position be? Is it something you would otherwise be interested in doing if you weren't going through this "recovery" period?
      Last edited by EricKei; 07-01-2015, 11:40 PM. Reason: trimmed quote
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

It's a reservations agent job "with the possibility of more in six months". Meaning, I'd be exactly where I was five years ago. No benefits either. Wage isn't bad. $13 an hour.
        Last edited by Moirae; 07-01-2015, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
          It's a reservations agent job "with the possibility of more in six months". Meaning, I'd be exactly where I was five years ago. No benefits either. Wage isn't bad. $13 an hour.
          I don't see what it would hurt to at least explore the opportunity. Even go to the interview.

If it doesn't feel right, you can always say no.

BTW...I gotta say...I like your name. But I don't know how it's pronounced.

Is it "Mwah-ray", or more like "My-rah"?

Comment

Already had the interview when the first job was offered. They happened only a day apart but the first job was more money and benefits so when both were offered I took that one to only regret it.

It's pronounced More-ay. The Moirae are the three greek goddesses of fate. Klotho, whose name means "Spinner," spinned the thread of life. Lakhesis, whose name means "Apportioner of Lots"--being derived from a word meaning to receive by lot--, measured the thread of life. Atropos (or Aisa), whose name means "She who cannot be turned," cut the thread of life.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
              Already had the interview when the first job was offered. They happened only a day apart but the first job was more money and benefits so when both were offered I took that one to only regret it.

It's pronounced More-ay. The Moirae are the three greek goddesses of fate. Klotho, whose name means "Spinner," spinned the thread of life. Lakhesis, whose name means "Apportioner of Lots"--being derived from a word meaning to receive by lot--, measured the thread of life. Atropos (or Aisa), whose name means "She who cannot be turned," cut the thread of life.
              Ah, I see...I was not aware of that.

Comment

Might as well give them a call back, as it sounds like they are interested. I second the notion of letting them know that you need a week or two "to get your i's dotted and t's crossed" or simply "to reorganize" after what happened at the old job. They don't need to know any details. Rushing into a new job is obviously not ideal (been following the other thread), but not calling them back will guaranteethis will never happen. It's your call, of course but maybe it could be worth your time to hear them out...? They are obviously impressed by you.

My only caveat is that, from your description, this sounds like a sales job, possibly one with a fair amount of pressure (because of the "possibly more in six months" bit). Weigh your options carefully, and remember that we're all here to listen to ya vent when you need us! ^_^
                Last edited by EricKei; 07-02-2015, 12:29 PM.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I would consider doing two things: As the others said, accept the job but ask for a week or two before you start.

Also find out what kind of counseling is available in your area for low-income folks and see if you can get to talk to someone who can help you work through your feelings re: losing your previous jobs. I sympathize, it sounds rough. There might even be a hotline you could call (they usually have trained counselors). Just a thought. Whatever you decide, good luck and hang in there!
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                  X