X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lack of planning on your part...

I just need to rant here.

My little sister got married tonight. She has known the guy for six months, and has been dating him pretty much the entire time. She turned 18 only a week ago, and only two weeks before that did I find out about the wedding. She has been across the country on vacation for the last few weeks, and since most of the family disapproves of her union and wants nothing to do with it, I was left to do some of the things she couldn't from out of town, like bake her wedding cake (which is important).

She and her new husband are both unemployed, so the wedding was paid for by his parents. Their food budget? $30 to feed 50 people. They're doing a cookout tomorrow to celebrate. Of course, since my husband works in the meat department of a grocery store, we HAD to get her all the best deals. And she only gave us two days to do so.

Only last week was I told that I wasn't actually invited to the wedding, since it's in a tiny gazebo on a street corner. Our mom was invited though, so she ended up staying last night at my house. We had a good time and planned to take Little Ara to the park to play in a water fixture they have there, but on our way there, we got a text from my sister. "Wedding dinner's in half an hour at [Chinese buffet]." Now, this wasn't the RECEPTION dinner, but rather something my grandfather wanted to do for her. We had to call and ask him if it was okay if Little Ara and I tagged along, since we were already in town and it would take an hour for my mom to take us home and get to the buffet. He okayed it, and we were the only others who showed. (Little Ara still got to play in the water at the park, though.)

Now, for the cake. My sister wanted to use our grandmother's cake recipe, but the only people who have it now that she's been dead nearly a decade are my dad and aunt. I can't get ahold of either of them right now, and I have no idea who's supplying the ingredients if I CAN get the recipe. It's currently almost 11:00 at night, I have to have the cake ready by noon tomorrow, and I have nothing other than the pan.

I want nothing more than to slap this girl and tell her, "Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine," but I'm too good of a person to do anything about it.

Someone save me.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Frost a stack of cake pans with whipped soap.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Can you fake it with a store-bought cake that you frost yourself? I mean, she has a choice here: Take it or leave it.

Whatever happens, you have my sympathies.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Can you fake it with a store-bought cake that you frost yourself?
        It's supposed to be a chocolate chip bundt cake with fudge glaze on it, so probably not. The only store-bought bundt cakes I usually find around here are chocolate or some sort of spice.

Update: I got that all sorted out, but it looks like I'll be pulling an all-nighter. I have to stay up and make sure laundry gets done for tomorrow (that was my fault, I didn't realize Little Ara's dress for tomorrow was dirty and our dryer takes forever), and my sister's going to be bringing everything I need for the cake over first thing in the morning. Coffee, here I come.
        Last edited by Aragarthiel; 07-02-2015, 04:00 AM.
        The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

Comment

I'm sorry, WHY are you baking a cake for a wedding you were not invited to??? The bride's self-centered entitlement staggers me.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

She's my sister, and I'm told rather often that I'm too nice for my own good. I think I felt a little sorry for her, since nobody's really bothering to show up to anything (even her maid of honor missed the wedding) or get involved at all. I'm still invited to the reception though, so I will get some of the cake.

Comment

Is this the same sister who threw a fit about her grad being so close to Little Ara's birthday? If so, I'd be washing my hands of the entire situation. Your sister is a selfish bitch. I don't feel sorry for her at all - people probably don't want to show up to anything because they are sick of her bullshit.

Comment

Yes it is, hopefully this is the last time I'll have to deal with her for a LOOOOONG time, since she's going off to college next month.

She texted me early this morning to ask me what ingredients she needed to buy for the cake. Um, I never got the recipe, and you have only a few hours to find out get the stuff to me. Good luck with that, when the only two people with the recipe are two and three time zones behind us and not likely to wake up just to give you a cake recipe.

Comment

I'd tell her what she can do with herself, regardless if she's your sister or not. Just because she's family doesn't mean boo, there are things I am not willing to do for family if they can't be bothered with the common decency to plan ahead.
                  Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Spontaneous wedding, you're not invited but make me a cake and help supply the food to my BBQ for it too.

I'm so glad my sister has more class than this.
                    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

So. My grandpa was supposed to be here an hour and a half ago. My phone's not working so the only contact with the outside world that I have is through the internet. About an hour ago, my sister FINALLY showed up with some of the stuff for the cake (they assumed I had butter and eggs and were lucky I did), it's in the oven now (and smells AMAZING) and my grandpa will be here in an hour to pick me up. So I'll only get to be at the reception for about an hour. How fun.

Yeah, after this I'm done with her for a while.

Comment

Wth? She really shouldn't be getting married..... they are too young and impulsive.

Comment

Being nice and a good person doesn't mean being a doormat. It sounds like she's not going to be grateful for all the work you're putting into this or sorry for the inconvenience she's causing you. You have the right right idea: cut her off after this one.
                          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                            It sounds like she's not going to be grateful for all the work you're putting into this or sorry for the inconvenience she's causing you.
                            She wasn't. She complained about being tired because she barely got any sleep last night, sat in her new husband's lap the entire time, and barely said anything to anyone. And she didn't even actually cut the cake, she just took it home to eat later.

At this point, I'm not sure if she's going to grow up a little and stop thinking about herself all the time, or if she's stuck like this forever. We've never gotten along and I really don't want to try to anymore.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                              She wasn't. She complained about being tired because she barely got any sleep last night, sat in her new husband's lap the entire time, and barely said anything to anyone. And she didn't even actually cut the cake, she just took it home to eat later.

At this point, I'm not sure if she's going to grow up a little and stop thinking about herself all the time, or if she's stuck like this forever. We've never gotten along and I really don't want to try to anymore.
                              At that age (18?) I doubt she's done forming as a person. But boy, do I foresee problems down the road. I could be wrong - people sometimes grow up fast when they have a reason to - but why grow up when you don't ever bear the consequences for less-than-wise decisions?

You're an amazing sister for helping her out with this last-minute stuff. If you've still got that recipe, why not make another cake for yourself and your family? You deserve a treat
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X