This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why won't people just listen?

Putting this in Sightings because the customer is a pretty nice guy and not an SC, just DOESN'T LISTEN.

Have a guy who had his motherboard fried by a recent storm. All his other hardware was fine so we got him a new board. Different brand, though, so we had to reload Windows.

After having it a week or so he realizes his printer isn't working. Normal - you usually have to install a printer. Doesn't have the disk that came with it. No big deal.

Tell the guy to go to the HP website: hp.com

Simple, yes?

No, of course not.

For some reason the guy just types: HP printer driver into the address bar. When you type keywords and not a true web site (www.cocacola.com, www.comcast.net, etc.) into the address bar, any modern browser will use its default search engine to search for those terms.

So instead of going directly to the HP site like I told him, he did a keyword search and clicked on the first site that came up, which, of course, was some third party driver site that wanted to charge him $30 for what would be a free printer driver on HP's site.

And in the process of doing that, he got some sort of bogus "driver updater" software installed which is now causing his computer to bluescreen.

If he had just gone to the website I told him, he would have been done by now. Instead we have to pick up his computer and bring it back to the shop and repair the thing and hopefully clean out whatever crap got in there.

And it wasn't like he didn't hear me correctly... I said hp.com at least half a dozen times and this isn't a senior citizen with hearing problems.

WHY. WON'T. PEOPLE. JUST. LISTEN.

I used to do printer support for HP LaserJet and DesignJet, so I know your pain all too well. I gave up counting how many people would simply not listen when I was trying to help them with their issues...especially when they felt they knew more about computers than me. Even though it was MY damn job, something I had trained in and even was tier two support for! Oh well, some people just suck.

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
      I used to do printer support for HP LaserJet and DesignJet, so I know your pain all too well. I gave up counting how many people would simply not listen when I was trying to help them with their issues...especially when they felt they knew more about computers than me. Even though it was MY damn job, something I had trained in and even was tier two support for! Oh well, some people just suck.

If I knew it would have been such a trial I would have remoted in and done it for him. My fault for thinking someone would listen to simple instructions.

Comment

Nope, they never listen. I think while you're talking they're busy counting cracks in the ceiling or whatever.

Of course, I still have a co-worker who gets to Google by ... yep, typing "Google" into the search bar on her computer's home page (home page is one of our company sites but the Google search bar appears near the top. So she is basically using Google to search for Google!!!)
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

And then they call their bank to file a billing dispute.
          Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Working...
          X