This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guilty Pleasure Reads

I am reading these books called The Captive Prince trilogy by CS Pacat and it's my guiltiest guilty pleasure read ever.

I actually feel seriously kind of guilty reading them.

Just not guilty enough to stop.

What do you read that you don't want to die while reading, so no one knows you read them? I also like the horribly repetitive horror novels of John Saul.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

I don't know if this actually counts, because most of my friends already know I read these. But the books I read that I definitely wouldn't want my parents, grandparents, or younger cousins seeing me read are the Dark-Hunters books. They're by Sherrilyn Kenyon and they're pretty much the only romance novels I read.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I am caught occasionally and extremely furtively reading those mystery novels by Rita Mae Brown in which a cast of talking animals helps solve murders.

Those novels, and any others like them, raises a question: Why is no on ever suspicious that the postmistress (or caterer or reverend or doddering old lady or whatever) has a higher clearance rate than the city, county, and state police, and the FBI combined? And why is no one ever suspicious that the postmistress (or whoever) was connected in some way to enough dead people to fill the New York City potter's field? And why is no one ever concerned that due to those connections, the inevitably charming small town has a higher kill rate than war zone Afghanistan?

Discuss.
      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

LOL, that is EXACTLY what I always say about cozy mysteries. A detective or maybe a journalist will run into murders a lot...but a chef, interior decorator or B&B operator? Has no one noticed that people die when they turn up? I assume the main characters are all secret serial killers.

I used to read The Cat Who...mysteries myself, by Lillian Jackson Braun. The cats in that were named...dear God, Koko and Yum-Yum.

Comment

The Meredith Gentry series by Laurell K. Hamilton. I normally pride myself on not getting into romance novels but a good friend introduced me to them, telling me that it was a fantasy series. She omitted a rather important bit of information but I forgave her.
          The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
            I don't know if this actually counts, because most of my friends already know I read these. But the books I read that I definitely wouldn't want my parents, grandparents, or younger cousins seeing me read are the Dark-Hunters books. They're by Sherrilyn Kenyon and they're pretty much the only romance novels I read.
            I love the series myself.

Comment

Quoth dawnfire View Post
              I love the series myself.

Which is your favorite book? Favorite character? Have you read Styxx yet?
              "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Josh Lanyon M/M romances.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I don't consider LKH or Sherrilyn Kenyons series' to be guilty pleasures. I have books I read at a certain time of year... Debbie Macomber's Shirley, Goodness, and Mercy. I can't read them any other time but Christmas. Lol

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post

Which is your favorite book? Favorite character? Have you read Styxx yet?
                    it's a tie between styxx and Acheron. Favorite character would either be Acheron or Simi. I'm looking forward to dragonbane coming out on the 4th.

which is your favorite book? Character

Comment

To clarify, I don't think anyone should feel guilty for reading any particular genre, by 'guilty pleasure' I mean books you know aren't particularly good, but still like.

Comment

Quoth dawnfire View Post
                        it's a tie between styxx and Acheron. Favorite character would either be Acheron or Simi. I'm looking forward to dragonbane coming out on the 4th.

which is your favorite book? Character
                        Favorite character is definitely Zarek. He's such a snarky little shit. *lol* My favorite book is...it's a toss-up between Night Embrace and Dark Side of the Moon. I have a soft spot for The Dream Hunter, though, as it was the first book of hers I ever read and it led to me slowly trying to acquire all of them.

Comment

Personally when I want to read something of a romantic persuasion, I write it myself. I have so many issues with romantic books, so many complaints about certain plot elements.

Maybe I should self publish some of my stuff, after I edit it from the fanfiction it is, and none of this "fifty shades is normal and you should want this guy" crap.
                          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                            To clarify, I don't think anyone should feel guilty for reading any particular genre, by 'guilty pleasure' I mean books you know aren't particularly good, but still like.
                            In that case I guess I don't have any. Lanyon's books are well written and l'm picky about that. Life is too short to read crap.
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I have no problem with MM romance, I've published it myself! I'm not one of those 'literary' elitists. I love me some genre fiction, and I write it too.

Comment

Working...
                              X