This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm helping someone else

One of the things I do is walk by the dedicated computers that people use to sign up for benefits and help them when I see red boxes. There is only 1 person for each aisle so sometimes there are 7 people waving at me.

How hard is it for people to understand that if they wouldn't like me to just walk away from them because someone else waved, the person I'm helping wouldn't like it either.

I don't mind helping people who get confused by what they are seeing on the screen. I am happy to help people who look at me and when I meet their eyes and nod that I'll be with them soon will sit and wait for me to come over.

Its the jerks who snap their fingers and give me dagger eyes when I don't just rush over to hold their hands while walking them through the very simple process that just tick me off.

I just look at them and say "I'm helping this person now and those people are next. I'll get to you as soon as I can." The shocked looks on their faces always make me do an internal eye-roll.

Also, snap your fingers at me and when I get to you, I will only answer your single question. I will not stand behind you and walk you through the next part like I do with people who are polite and thank me.

Grrrrrr!

Yeah, bad day today. Tank was actually following me around and warning people to be patient and respectful because for some reason EVERYONE was yelling, demanding, finger snapping jerks.

(OK, not everyone. I can't/won't mess with anyone's benefits because they are self-entitled jerks who think that they shouldn't have to wait in line or fill out applications just like the 200 people in front of them, but that nice lady with the child who was polite and grateful for my help...yeah, there is a good reason that she was done before you. Please and Thank You really aren't just magic words for children. They also work very well for adults.)

Why is it that people still fail to understand that, in general, being polite will get you help faster than being rude? It amazes me. It really does. It's not that difficult a concept. Hopefully your day is better next time you work!
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

We've had our food stamps cut off because the lady at the desk was tired of dealing with "one more damn cripple." She didn't think I heard her mutter that but I did. We were nothing but polite, but my husband being in a wheelchair was apparently offensive to her. Good for you for not messing up people's benefits. An appropriate punishment for being a jerk is to get perfunctory service, not to get to starve.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

WS - Please tell me you reported her at the time...-_-;> Someone with an attitude like that has no business working in a job like that, where you're supposed to help folks in difficult circumstances.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yes, what Eric said. I am continually shocked at the bad attitude people have at those who are disabled. It's especially bad if it's not visually obvious and they think it's a lie.

As for the OP, do they not see that you are one person helping everyone??
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post

I just look at them and say "I'm helping this person now and those people are next. I'll get to you as soon as I can." The shocked looks on their faces always make me do an internal eye-roll.

Also, snap your fingers at me and when I get to you, I will only answer your single question. I will not stand behind you and walk you through the next part like I do with people who are polite and thank me.
            People tend to hover where I work, and when they start to launch into a long winded question I'll interrupt (I try to be nice, but they don't care) and ask them to take a number. They also get that "WTF??" look. Often they refuse to take a number and either storm around trying to find someone who will help them NOW or just head straight out the doors.

And yes, the meaner they are the less I will help them. Take a number and ask nice, and I'll look for the item in overstock or the back room, or make a suggestion of what other thing might work. I might check to see if it's available through our online store, or see if I could special order it. Interrupt me and ask mean, I'll pretty much say "I'm not sure please take a number and we'll check." And I'll check one place, and not really look that hard.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
              We've had our food stamps cut off because the lady at the desk was tired of dealing with "one more damn cripple." She didn't think I heard her mutter that but I did. We were nothing but polite, but my husband being in a wheelchair was apparently offensive to her. Good for you for not messing up people's benefits. An appropriate punishment for being a jerk is to get perfunctory service, not to get to starve.
              Please tell me that you asked for a supervisor. That just isn't right. Besides, and please don't take this wrong, but handicapped people might be more in need of help than able-bodied people. Everyone needs food, but some people are more able to get jobs than others.

NOT that I'm judging young able-bodied people who need help. This economy is tough on everyone.

Anyhow...I have never been able to understand why anyone would go up to someone who is obviously helping someone else and demand to cut in. That's just rude. Not to mention that the interrupter would be livid if someone did it to them.

I've never allowed anyone to interrupt me while I was serving someone else unless their hair was on fire, and I'm not going to start now.

Comment

I have been on food stamps before and dealt with no good workers, and I have called a supervisor who was more than prompt in dealing with my concerns....

but I hate when I am talking to another customer, which is difficult enough, due to the fact that not many people seem to understand basic english, math and comprehension the second they step into a store, but to have someone yell and scream about how much they need help is so rude and annoying. I have to very firmly tell them I am in the middle of a situation with another customer and they have to wait their turn or get help at another register. It would be rude for me to just walk away from someone I am helping and start helping somebody else.

Comment

Working...
                X