X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a HOME!

Hi everyone.

Ever since Hubby "graduated" to almost-fulltime use of a wheelchair, we've been living in hotels. We were on the third floor a complex with no elevator, so that wasn't going to work.

Well yesterday we moved into a new apartment. Ground floor with no stairs on the access route (so hubby can actually GO someplace without my hauling his chair out), all hardwood (ok laminate) flooring, dishwasher, gas stove, laundry onsite, gated community and locked building, with a view of the entire Denver skyline (or there would be if we were higher up and pointed the right way, but meh).

The location is fantastic. There's a park for my dog to run around in right across the street from our back door, with grass even closer for when Hubby takes him out. There's a public library literally next door to the entrance to the complex (woot for quiet when Hubby is having a game night). The light-rail station is just down the street, far enough away that we don't deal with excessive noise, but close enough that it's an easy walk. I just have to jump on the train for about 20 minutes and then transfer to one bus and ride it for about 5 minutes to get to work.

I could do without the buzzing from the elevator (it's annoying but not horrid, at least nobody is playing drums upstairs...and I'm not making that up, that actually happened) and the d-bags who think that parking next to the park and blasting their music is the height of entertainment (the cops will chase them off if they try that after dark), but nothing is perfect. There's also a fire station somewhere near by, but there was one where I grew up too, and sirens don't bug me too much.

We have a roommate, but it's a two bedroom so we're not packed on top of each other, and the bedrooms and closets are HUGE. Never would have been able to afford it otherwise, and the roomie is a big-hearted laid-back friend of my husband (and now mine) we've known for over a year. They're basically both geeks, and the company will be good for him when I'm working on the weekends.

I'm still wrapping my brain around the concept that there's actually another room I can go into if I want some time to myself and it's taking me a while to figure out we don't have to pack everything up every 3 days, but so far I'm loving our new place. Our kitties decided to yowl in the middle of the night, but that's the only problem so far.
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 09-07-2015, 04:29 AM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

That sounds great! I'm very happy for you!

Comment

Congrats to both of you! Glad you landed (at least somewhat) on your feet, so to speak.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That's great news. So glad things are looking up for you.
        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

YAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You deserve it!

Comment

Yay! I'm glad that you are on the upside of this little adventure and hope you all settle into the new place quickly.
            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Just having that stable place to call home can make all the difference. Congratulations.
              I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
              In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

That's wonderful! So glad for you!

The kitties will adjust, give them time
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

YAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! ::happy dance::
                  1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                  -----
                  http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Yay!!! That's great!!

Comment

Working...
                    X