Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seshat asks for advice! Essential fatty acids & recipes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seshat asks for advice! Essential fatty acids & recipes.

My optometrist tells me that the main reason I've got chronic dry eye is that the oil film that's supposed to protect the tear film isn't happening.

We have glands in our lower eyelid that are supposed to push out a thin film of oil, which floats in front of the tear film and helps prevent dehydration. This film relies on us having a strong supply of essential fatty acids...
    I also have evidence of insufficient EFAs in my skin (sebum) glands, and in other ways.

So. Time to make a serious effort to get EFAs in my diet. Problem: NO FISH. No seafood at all.

Flaxseed oil is damned difficult to keep stable, and expensive to buy. I'd rather use other vegetable sources, ones which are cheaper, even if I have to buy/use more to get the specific acid. (Well, not if it becomes more expensive overall, obviously.)

Skipping past all the .com and .org and other such google results, we get:
    - from Harvard "Foods high in Omega-3 include fish, vegetable oils, nuts (especially walnuts), flax seeds, flaxseed oil, and leafy vegetables."
    - from dieticians.ca "ALA is found in certain vegetable oils, walnuts, flaxseeds and soy products. EPA and DHA are found in fish, seafood and fish oils. This table shows you foods which are sources of omega-3 fats."

The Canadians were also kind enough to provide a handy table: Food Sources of Omega 3 Fats

Given the reminder that fish and seafood are right out, and I dislike most soy ... advice? Suggestions? Recipe ideas?
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Macadamia nuts are practically sopping with oil; eating them is like eating pats of butter. Try some and try crushing and adding them to food.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
      Flaxseed oil is damned difficult to keep stable, and expensive to buy.

Given the reminder that fish and seafood are right out, and I dislike most soy ... advice? Suggestions? Recipe ideas?
      well vegans usually use the actual flax/chia seeds and don't bother with the oil, I searched for vegan sources and got this also there are supplements without fish oil, they're made from modified alge, it's where they get it for baby formula.
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Thank you, Shadow.

BK: it never occurred to me to look for what the vegetarians and vegans use. That's brilliant!
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
        X