This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm going under the knife, soon...

Wish me luck...having a procedure done to correct an issue with my pulmonary valve...

It's probably going to be in early January...

Thoughts/prayers/whatever are appreciated...I'm actually kinda scared.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Will it be open or cardiac catheter?

Good luck!
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
      Will it be open or cardiac catheter?

Good luck!
      At this point, I'm thinking it's going to be open. Because they're replacing the valve completely. It's not closing all the way, and is causing some regurgitation, which is causing regurgitation in the tricuspid valve.

Apparently this surgery on the pulmonary valve will fix both issues at the same time.

I'll be in the hospital between 3 and 5 days, but I won't be able to drive for a month or so afterward. Lot of pressure on the Mrs.

I'm gonna talk to my boss tomorrow and see if I can work from home during that month period. I don't wanna use my short-term disability if I can keep from it, but it's good to know it's there if I need it.

Comment

Good luck, heal fast. We're kinda in the same boat over here, my were needs the same surgery as he was born with a bicuspid valve.
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Best of luck to you!
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Holding thumbs!
            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Thanks, everyone! This is one of those things that, from time to time, absolutely permeates my thoughts.

I've already talked to my team lead, and he's suggesting that I don't work at all during my recovery period.

Comment

Best of luck! You'll be fine, and your team lead sounds like a great guy!

Comment

Good luck!
                  Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Best of luck! I hope it goes very well for you.
                    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Not to show vulnerability here, but when this creeps into my thoughts, I get terrified. I've got a family (wife is a stay-at-home mom, and our son is 10), so I'm praying (literally) that everything goes well.

Comment

While it is natural to get freaked out over heart surgery, you need to fight it and stay under control.

And while this will not help you feel more at ease, please make sure your will and advanced directive are in order. It will be one less thing for Mrs MJR to worry about.

I will second you r team lead's advise. Double check how your disability works, going back part time too soon may screw up your benefits.
                        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                        Save the Ales!
                        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

*hugs*

No matter how often you go under the knife you never get used to it. Feeling very much the same for different reason (surgery for cysts of doom in 16 days).

Listen to the instructions they give you and give them as much info as possible about previous surgeries and reactions to the knock out meds as you can if you've had previous. I'll be letting my surgical team that I'm asthmatic, have one kidney, had previous surgery in the same area and I vomit like a good one afterwards if they don't give me anti-nausea drugs (I once threw up over a nurse who now knows not to stand near the head of a patient while they come round).
                          As soon as I start thinking
                          That I'm sensible and sane
                          The Random Hedgehog comes along
                          And fiddles with my Brain
                          (from card I got)

Comment

So my wife has decided she's going to put me on some type of insane diet. She's going to do it with me, but it's almost a "rice cake and water" diet. It's her version of the Pritikin diet from the 1970's.

She's doing it because I gave her some numbers from some blood work I had, and she didn't like them.

Comment

So to update this, as I did in the other...

It's looking like early February. They're gonna use a cow valve (or a valve made from cow vein, or something like that).

Comment

Working...
                              X