X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applied for unemployment today

The link below pertains to this post.

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=113331

What is odd about my situation is this...

At the end of November 2015 the first shift and the second shift were notified to come to the main garage office for a meeting on 11/30/15.

The Senior Manager over the entire area of garages mentioned that there will be some changes beginning in January 2016.

She also mentioned that there would be 2 shifts...

A bigger evening shift and a smaller morning shift.

I mentioned to her that I would like to be considered for the smaller morning shift.

At that time I was working 6 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

I started working for that area of garages in 2013.

The Senior Manager then told everyone that we had to interview for those positions. The interviews were held the next day on 12/1/15.

A different company employee interviewed all of us. I mentioned to this particular company employee that I do not have a car and that I would like the morning shift.

Yet when the Senior Manager called me into her office towards the end of December 2015 to let me know that my last day of work would be 12/31/15, the only shift she mentioned was the overnight shift from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. Monday through Friday. Nothing was mentioned about the morning shift.

So when I filed for unemployment today I mentioned this to the person whom I was speaking to.

Our rent was due today. So when I paid our rent at the office I mentioned the fact that as of today I am unemployed. We live in low income housing. I was given 2 forms for my employer to fill out... a reduction in income and a job loss.

My husband will have to take those 2 forms to work since according to this link http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=113364 he still has a job with our employer.

I will have to go to my local worksource as required by the unemployement office.

There is a hiring event at my local worksource today from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 01-04-2016, 05:07 PM.

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
    She also mentioned that there would be 2 shifts...

A bigger evening shift and a smaller morning shift.

Yet when the Senior Manager called me into her office towards the end of December 2015 to let me know that my last day of work would be 12/31/15, the only shift she mentioned was the overnight shift from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. Monday through Friday. Nothing was mentioned about the morning shift.
    The cynic in me wants to think that someone in the chain that presented this change is a master at using Weasel Words and knew that a" smaller morning shift" is a technically correct way to refer to a shift which is going to virtually cease to exist. Thus allowing them to bait you and others to interview for nonexistent future positions.

I'm not sure that I'd care to be working for an organization run by such people.

Comment

I wish you both plenty of good luck! o_O
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth LoTech View Post
        The cynic in me wants to think that someone in the chain that presented this change is a master at using Weasel Words and knew that a" smaller morning shift" is a technically correct way to refer to a shift which is going to virtually cease to exist. Thus allowing them to bait you and others to interview for nonexistent future positions.

I'm not sure that I'd care to be working for an organization run by such people.
        Me neither.

It will be interesting if unemployment calls that employer and speaks to the Senior Manager about this "so-called" morning shift and asks her why it was never mentioned to me when she told me my last day will be 12/31/15.

I would love to know what her answer will be if this happens.

I asked my husband for the e-mail address to the corporate HR dept. so I can ask if severance pay is offered. I was asked this by the person at the unemployment office whom I was speaking to. I told him I did not know if my employer offered that.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          I wish you both plenty of good luck! o_O
          Thanks.

The Senior Manager may have to fill out those 2 forms mentioned in my post.

If she asks my husband why I need them to be filled out, I hope he tells her the reason why... even though we live in low income housing our rent needs to be reduced since I am unemployed due to their not retaining me.

Comment

I saw it a little differently. I'm guessing they already knew who they wanted on the smaller morning shift, but they were trying to make it look like they were being fair so nobody made a stink about it. I've seen similar things done before.

Good luck to you, I hope you find something else soon.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              I saw it a little differently. I'm guessing they already knew who they wanted on the smaller morning shift, but they were trying to make it look like they were being fair so nobody made a stink about it. I've seen similar things done before.

Good luck to you, I hope you find something else soon.
              According to my husband, a different division of the company is now cleaning the garages. A smaller morning shift and a larger overnight shift.

No-one who previously worked the morning shift was retained.

Comment

I am going to send corporate headquarters a letter asking if severance packages are offered to full-time employees who are laid off.

I will explain exactly how long I was employed, where I was employed at, the hours I worked, when I was laid off and so on.

Comment

Let me guess, previous morning shift people had been there a while?

Probably were making too much money for corporate's liking
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Tama may be on to something. That's a classic ploy.
                    BTW, don't forget to have withholding on your unemployment.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

My husband just told me that his hours have been changed from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. to 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. effective this Wednesday.

He worked from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday and Tuesday.

The Senior Manager who told me late last month that my last day on the job was 12/31/15 was the same one who made this decision. She called the area manager who works at the garage office where my husband is currently assigned to.

Does my employer know what they are doing?

I am beginning to wonder about that.

I told my husband to be ready to job hunt.

Comment

If there are openings on the night shift, you may be disappointed.

If the company has jobs available, and offered them to you, they can deny unemployment.

Your job sounded awful. it shouldn't be hard to find something better.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
                          If there are openings on the night shift, you may be disappointed.

If the company has jobs available, and offered them to you, they can deny unemployment.

Your job sounded awful. it shouldn't be hard to find something better.
                          Nothing full-time was offered to me by my employer.
                          Last edited by snugglegirl05; 01-06-2016, 02:18 AM.

Comment

The good thing is I was approved for unemployment.

I had to sign for my last paycheck, and so I had to go to the Area Manager, whom I reported to, office to pick it up and sign it.

One of our neighbors works part-time for this employer.

I found from him that he asked the same area manager why were the changes happening. He was told that the property management company that is over the garages as well as the individual property managers were not happy with the overall job the area managers were doing regarding how well their staff cleans the garages. According to the property management company as well as the individual property managers the porters were doing jobs that did not involve cleaning the garages such as helping customers who needed help at the pay machines either inside the building(s) attached to the garage(s) or at the exit gate(s), issuing parking violations, and doing space counts so the property management company knows how many cars park in the garages, especially monthly parkers. He also said that the property management company wanted to cancel the entire contract, and if that happened, everyone would have been out of a job.

I was talking to 2 security guards who work in the building that, one of the former garages I used to clean, is attached to. Both of them told me that they see a crew of around 5 porters late at night clean the garage. However, when I mentioned that I was told that there is a smaller morning crew, they told me that they have not seen someone in the morning clean the garage.

Everyone was told back in the end of November 2015 that there would be a larger crew cleaning the garages at night. So that made me wonder if the morning crew just does what needs to be done such as dump the trash, clean the entrance and exit, and so on to keep the garages clean.

Last year our immediate supervisor told us that the Senior Manager over the entire area of garages had a meeting with the supervisors and area managers, and she asked this question "if the porters are able to clean the garages in 5 hours, then why are we having them work 8 hours a day?" She asked this because the property managers as well as the property management company did not see every porter work 8 hours a day.

Our employer is paying the porters more per hour, but there could be a smaller staff over-all. So corporate gives them a raise, but they want to see if the job can get done with less people.

My husband has to use his own personal cell phone at work because someone took all of the chargers that were used to charge the work cellphones.
                            Last edited by snugglegirl05; 01-09-2016, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
                              My husband has to use his own personal cell phone at work because someone took all of the chargers that were used to charge the work cellphones.
                              What connector do the work cellphones use? If it's one of the standard ones, would probably be better to get a cheap (i.e. dollar store) USB charging cable and a universal extra battery (typically around $20). Charge the extra battery at home, then at work use it to charge the work phone. I'm assuming that your husband is walking around at work, so a wall charger wouldn't work for him (couldn't carry the work phone around while it was charging).
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X