This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy New Year?

Saturday became an... eventful day for me. I have weekends off, was lazing with the cat, and decided to take a shower and wash my hair before an online meeting for a community I GM for was due to start. I'm in the shower, washing away, when I smell that musky electrical burning smell. At first I wondered if it was something up with the taps, but when I shut them off I could still smell it, so I quickly finished and hopped out. Smoke detectors in the hall were going off so I just threw my dirty clothes on fast and ran to check my computer.

Everything in the bedroom where the computer was seemed fine. I thought... maybe the neighbors burned dinner. Then I hear sirens. So I throw on a shirt, grab my purse, grab my laptop bag and start freaking out a touch. I see my cat by the doorway resting peacefully and after locating her I notice black smoke is rolling in the air vents. CUE PANIC! I go to grab the cat and hear BANG BANG BANG... firemen had been in building and had broken down my apartment door. Cat bolts. I curse and rush out and am asked if I'm the only on there (yes) and told essentially to GTFO and barely given time to slip my shoes on and run. I get to the hall and smoke is everywhere. The walls and stair railings were piping hot. I couldn't breath. It hurt so bad. I get outside just as firemen break one of the glass doors on the balcony above my apartment so I'm showered in glass.

Another guy had gotten out just before me and he freaks out, clinging to me and dragging me over to the other people clustered in the front yard around the firetrucks and paramedics. There is a tree that was cut down and is essentially a giant log, and I was shaky, so I sit there and go to swipe my hair out of my face... it was frozen. I called my mom and burst into tears freaking out and a paramedic wrapped me in a blanket and then got me into an ambulance to warm up.

There was a family in with me and they said they'd smelled electrical burning and went to check the room with their TV and computer and opened the door to rolling black smoke and moments later their whole living room engulfed in flame. They've had electrical issues so we are guessing there was an electrical fault in the building.

I got friends to pick me up and stayed the night with them and was told by my landlord that I'd have a new apartment the next day. Next day I finally find out that my apartment was essentially only smoke damaged and that I could come get a few things. Sort our that I'm going to have to pay to move to a temporary apartment that the landlord will put me up in, set up help for moving for this coming weekend, and then make arrangements to stay with another friend all this week (first friend only had a couch I could surf on since they have two kids and no spare bedrooms. Second friend has a spare room.) We get my valuables, clothes, computer, finally locate a very traumatized and scared kitty (poor thing!) and get me moved to the other friend.

Darn landlord lets me know where they want me to move and that it's handled by another landlord in the company. When I go to try and find his number online I see the reviews... drugs, robberies at gunpoint, broken heat and a/c, mice infestation, rotting decks... yeah no. So I've arranged to just pay my friends rent and stay here the 4-6 weeks my landlord thinks it'll take to renovate my former home. They have to gut and remodel the whole building since several units are destroyed.

At the very least, the kitty is finally adapting to where we are now. She can't leave this room (my cat has FIV and my friend has a cat that doesn't) which I can tell irks her a bit, but she's mostly just been snuggly. I'm stressed, frayed, worn out, hurting, coughing a bit still from the smoke damage but that's getting better, and just... just meh.

So yeah... dammit, 2016! I had high hopes for you and I spend the first week sick, have female issues as soon as I feel better and as soon as those let up my home half burns down. GAH!

TL;DR - APARTMENT FIRE FOR THE FAIL!
    "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

I'm so glad that you and your kitty are okay! Things can be replaced but living things cannot. Hopefully when everything gets remodeled there won't be any further issues with electrical and there won't be a repeat.

Comment

glad you're safe. We have a condo complex here that caught fire on one floor and damaged maybe 2 others maybe 3, that was maybe 10 years ago they still haven't fixed the floors they just condemned them.
      ACNL Dream Address: 5300-6013-1370

Comment

OMG thank god you're okay! And your kitty!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Thank goodness you're okay, and that your things aren't too damaged. And especially glad to hear you were able to recover your kitty.

My grandparents went through similar last spring, due to a problem with a chimney, and lost the house and most of their stuff. I'm just hoping that extended family has replacements for the photos of the child my grandparents lost as a toddler, because that, to me, is the most irreplaceable thing.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
            My grandparents went through similar last spring, due to a problem with a chimney, and lost the house and most of their stuff. I'm just hoping that extended family has replacements for the photos of the child my grandparents lost as a toddler, because that, to me, is the most irreplaceable thing.
            About... eh... two years ago?... we had another fire. My mom lives in a rural area where they houses are along a street out towards a lake, and on the other side of the street is an extra lot they can purchase to put stand alone garages. They had a bad storm and went out to add some fuel to their 4-wheeler the next day and... the garage was a pile of debris and melted rubble. Lightning had struck and destroyed everything overnight. The bad thing was they kept family mementos, all the photo albums, saved schoolwork from my brother and I, some things I was storing, etc. All the important things were in there. My mom swore up and down that she'd rather the house had burned over that garage since everything in the house was replaceable... until I pointed out she, my stepdad and the dogs were in the house.

So yeah... we had that side of fire a few years back. Thankfully I didn't have to go through that again, but now I've experience a fire first hand and I never want to again.
            "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

Quoth Heksubah View Post
              So yeah... we had that side of fire a few years back. Thankfully I didn't have to go through that again, but now I've experience a fire first hand and I never want to again.
              I really don't blame you for not wanting to experience that again.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I'm so glad you and your cat are okay!

Comment

Working...
                X