This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking For Prayers/Good JuJu

as ya'll know, I follow the king/snow crab fishing fleet from the show 'Deadliest Catch' on FB...I have the majority of the crews/captains on my friends list both current capts/crews & former

Well, just logged in & saw a post from one of the former show members, Travis Lofland, he served aboard the Cornelia Marie for the last 2 yrs as well as the Wizard & The Time Bandit

He's been fishing Dungeness crab off the coast of Oregon the past month (which btw has the nickname "Graveyard of the South Pacific" because of all the boats that have been lost there due to bad weather/currents etc) which makes the Bering Sea sound like a picnic, running his own operation

2 hours ago, he posted & said they'd gotten word that a boat was lost this morning & asked for prayers for the families

here is the link to the news story I found on Google http://www.currypilot.com/News/Local...es-in-Coos-Bay

PLEASE, I'm asking for prayers, not only for the families of those lost, but also that Travis & his crew will be ok

honestly? I feel like shit, because the first thought that popped into my head was 'thank you Lord that it was Travis telling us this & that it wasn't his boat'

I just...I feel like I'm going to be sick
    "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Prayers sent.
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Have to log in to view link.

I am sending thoughts and prayers that they are found safe.

I cried when Captain Phil died. It's a shame that his sons can't seem to get it together.
      What do you want for nothin'? R-r-r-r-r-r-rubber biscuit?": Blues Bros.

Comment

thanks guys

as an update, the skipper of the boat somehow made it to shore, the body of one man was found on the jetty that the boat apparently hit...2 other crewmen are still missing & at this point, the chances that they are still alive is pretty thin

my buddy, Travis, said that the night this happened, a bad squall came up & things got nasty QUICK. the boat he runs was 25 miles away, too far away to do anything but wait & pray

See, it's stuff like this that makes me nervous, I have all the confidence & faith in the world in Travis & his abilities as a fisherman. Lord knows, he's got the experience (like I said in the OP, he's served aboard the Wizard, the Time Bandit & the Cornelia Marie, that's been since 2003)

But as we've seen, you can plan for everything & be uber prepared, then you get out there, shit happens that is completely out of your control & plans go straight out the window...This Oregon fishery is derby style (which means catch as much as you can as fast as you can which is the most dangerous, there's no quota system like Kings/Opies have now)

Like you lvsssycat, I was crushed when we lost Phil...that's the thing I struggle with the most..those of us who watch the show, we get to know these guys like family & the thought of losing any of them (except Elliott, I don't wish him ill, but I don't miss him) makes me sick ...God, that season with the Wizard & the fiasco with the tarp nearly put me on the floor

And you're right about Josh & Jake...Jake actually is now living clean & working in construction from what I've heard...Josh...Josh isn't interested in learning to be a competent captain, he's there strictly because of the cameras IMHO (and that comes straight from Travis) & as Travis put it, Josh is the weakest link out there...which is why Scott Hillstrand, Travis & one other guy washed their hands of the whole thing. Three other people bought shares into the CM after last season & the boat was completely re-built...So, I'm hoping that these new shareholders have a come to Jesus meeting with Casey & tell him either Josh goes or we go, ultimatums suck yes, but I'm afraid Josh is going to get someone killed
        "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Working...
        X