This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grief Triggers

My dad died a year ago this Friday, February 12. This past week especially has been very hard; the last time I got to talk to him was on February 5, and just the other day, I heard somebody in my neighborhood using a chainsaw, just like my dad used to do. I guess that because I could only hear it, but couldn't see the person using it, it triggered memories, and I just broke down. I'm just grateful that I've got his text messages saved, and have a precious video of him preaching on youtube.

I still often get little things that set me off even six years after my husband died. Can often be something as simple as a favourite song on the radio. They come less but I still get drown by them occasionally.
    As soon as I start thinking
    That I'm sensible and sane
    The Random Hedgehog comes along
    And fiddles with my Brain
    (from card I got)

Comment

My father died 16 years ago. A friend of my mother sang "Danny Boy" at the funeral.

To this day, I will cry when I hear that song.

Comment

If I hear "Taps" I will fall completely apart. We couldn't get anybody from the local veterans' groups to do it at my dad's funeral, and I always feel like I failed him, even though I know he probably wouldn't really have cared.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
          My father died 16 years ago. A friend of my mother sang "Danny Boy" at the funeral.

To this day, I will cry when I hear that song.
          I'm the same with "How Great Thou Art". I cannot hear that song without my dad's funeral coming to mind.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Mosaic tiles. Yeah, I know its weird. My grandmother had mosaic tile stepping stones in the backyard of the house I live in(when she lived here). They've long disintegrated but every once in awhile we'll find one, like pennies from heaven.

Comment

I used to love "Tears In Heaven". I can't listen to it now. I understand it much better than I did when it came out.

Comment

It's "The Old Rugged Cross" for me. It was my father's favorite hymn, and my wife sung it at his funeral. To this day I can't get through it without tearing up, and it has been 17 years since he passed away.
                A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Oh boy. Mom passed a few years ago. Triggers are: Everytime the news mentions cancer, When I see a mom and her little mini me holding hands in the street, the song "A song for mama", yes "tears in heaven" too, and the song I dedicated to her when she was still alive "Daughters". I can still see her eyeroll at that. Lol
                  Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                  The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

The country song "If Heaven" came out right around the time a close friend of mine died. I have never been able to listen to that song. There was a stereo in the bathroom and I have a vivid memory of that song coming on the radio and me getting out of the shower sobbing to change the channel as fast as I could. He's the reason I can't listen to "If I Die Young" either. Other songs can trigger the grief if I'm in the right mood. It's been 11 years since he died.

The grief of losing a loved one never really goes away. It just gets easier to live with.
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      If I hear "Taps" I will fall completely apart. We couldn't get anybody from the local veterans' groups to do it at my dad's funeral, and I always feel like I failed him, even though I know he probably wouldn't really have cared.
                      Rent or borrow or buy a bugle or trumpet (or whatever instrument you most wish it had been played on); and learn to play it. Then take a special trip to his grave, memorial, place his ashes are scattered, or other emotionally-significant place. And play it for him.

It will be special-er (I decree that that's a word) because YOU are playing it. Because you learned it.

If you have disabilities which prevent you from playing it on a brass instrument (and I know brass is the traditional instrument type); play it on whatever you CAN play it on. Instrumentalist musicians are likely to be sympathetic to the desire, and attempt to help you find a suitable (and affordable) instrument.

I offer this simply as a way to provide closure for that particular problem. I hope the idea is either useful, or sparks some useful idea.

Taps is a simple enough song to play as an intermediate amateur: you won't have to work your way to professional or skilled amateur level to play it well enough to satisfy yourself. Unless you're a perfectionist!
                      Last edited by Seshat; 02-10-2016, 07:38 PM.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        ... play it on whatever you CAN play it on...
                        Trombone...
                        I have played bugle calls as harmonics on a single string of a guitar...
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Thanks, Seshat. I don't think I could do that, my musical "talent" is in the negative numbers. But I might eventually be able to find a group to do it. A few years after my dad died I found out that a group in a nearby suburb make themselves available for ANY veteran if needed. So there is a possibility, I just have to make the effort.

I have another trigger, actually. "Memory." Yes, that song from Cats. It reminds me of our old cats who are gone now, and every time I see Cats at the theater I turn into a blubbering blob of jelly
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                          X