This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoping for a new start

Due to some very bad circumstances where I am now, I've decided to walk out of my life and catch a bus to Portland, Oregon.

I don't actually know anyone there, so does anyone have any advice on where I can look for work and a place to stay, at least until I find work, and what social programs if any they have there to help newcomers?

Thanks so much. Kristev.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

I don't have any advice on the job front, but I have 2 cousins, an aunt, and 2 nieces that live in Happy Valley, OR. I know, crazy town name, right??? But they love it there. My blood cousin moved to Portland for his job about 10 years ago, met his wife, and happiness ensued. His mom moved up there when his dad died.

From everything they tell me, that area is a really great place to live .... small town feel, but with all the perks of a city. You should be able to find a job in your field pretty easily, especially as computer-savvy as you are.

Good luck to you.. I wish I was brave enough to make a change like that. I'm stuck in a town/state that I hate because my kids are here :/

Comment

Wish I knew something to help you, amigo.
      I too, recently left Idaho, and I COMPLETELY understand that impulse. Best of luck to you.
      Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

I have nothing for you, except that I wish you the best, and can make yourself a better life there.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
          I don't have any advice on the job front, but I have 2 cousins, an aunt, and 2 nieces that live in Happy Valley, OR. I know, crazy town name, right??? But they love it there. My blood cousin moved to Portland for his job about 10 years ago, met his wife, and happiness ensued. His mom moved up there when his dad died.
          No, crazy town name is Happy Valley, AZ. Seriously, in AZ?

And to Kristev, nothing I can offer, but my hat is off to you, few people have the option of starting over, and even fewer the bravery to do it. Good luck.
          Seph
          Taur10
          "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Good luck, Kristev. I hope you find greater stability in Oregon than you had before.
            1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
            -----
            http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
              No, crazy town name is Happy Valley, AZ. Seriously, in AZ?
              No, as a former Vancouverite living in Toronto, crazy town name is "Richmond Hill".
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Kristev is now on the bus, headed for Portland. He is going to apply for jobs online during the long ride, and has definite plans for what to do upon his arrival. Just to keep you updated.

Comment

Kristev, I'm wishing you all sorts of luck on your journey. That's a huge step and I admire your strength of character. If you need an ear, I'm around.

Comment

Working...
                  X