This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Job!

I just got hired for a new job last Thursday at a video rental store and am totally stoked. My first day is tomorrow so it should be interesting.

I'm going to try and keep my original job along with the new job for two weeks to see how I like it. Since I do make more money with the old job. If I hate it then I am giving the old job a collective and quite happy adieu and never look back on the hell that is working in a grocery store ever again.

As an old hand at the video game , let me tell you, it's 50% about the customers, 25% keeping the returns and retail on the shelves, and 15%-20% making the place look shiny, and 5%-10% watching out for thieves. People slitting DVD with razorblades was a big problem, and someone even figured out how to use a fridge-magnet to open the mag-locks on the hard plastic around the retail product. Only other advice I can give is to know your product (aka, watch as many movies as you can get away with, especially the big-name new releases... even if you're 'iffy' on them), and to watch out for SCs. Hope you end up working with a crew as great as the one I was part of during my stint.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Thanks! I'd never heard about someone actually using a fridge-magnet to open a lock. It's a shame that someone would actually go to such lengths to steal a movie.
      And luckily, I'm very familiar with the store's staff and having had a sibling whose also worked in a rental place. There isn't much I haven't heard so I know what I'm getting myself into. I'm not worried about getting to the product either, I watch more movies then I do regular old tv shows. That is definitely not a problem.

Comment

Quoth GoldFinch View Post
        Thanks! I'd never heard about someone actually using a fridge-magnet to open a lock. It's a shame that someone would actually go to such lengths to steal a movie.
        I probably shouldn't be saying this, but it's not all that hard if you can look at the mechanism for a couple minutes. There's two magnets inside the spring-loaded tabs, and all you need is one with the opposite charge to pull them inward and the lock-bar slides right out. Those black boxes they stick the things in just have the right polarities in the right place. When the guy finally got caught, we found out he'd been selling the stuff bootleg on E-bay for 1/2 our price.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
        X