This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye my friend -- The Sad Series Finale

As put forth in this not closed thread Goodbye my Old Friend I am going to have to euthanize my Senior Citizen Golden Retriever tomorrow.

About 10 days before GF passed away we had a nice snowstorm. The storm left a 2 foot high drift in the back yard. Doggie just HAD to get over that drift into the corner to do his business. Unfortuneately, he was not a spry as he used to be and I have been trying to keep him from bounding through the high drift. Well since he was bound and determined to get over the drift he did just that.

Afterward he started limping in both his front and back legs. OK wait a few days to see what happens. Then GF passed away suddenly and things got real blurry for a week.

I finally got him to the Vet about 10 days after GF passed. The Vet thought it might be a combination of arthritis (doggie is almost 13 years old now) and a sprain or two to either the front wrist and/or shoulder and/or the hips. She gave me some pain meds and anti-inflamitories and told me to keep an eye on him and keep him as inactive as I could. I tried to time the pain meds to an hour or two before I took him out for a short walk. He still wanted act like a "normal" doggie ie. getting up for attention, eating and drinking. I had to mostly hand feed him human food but he still had an appetite and was drinking enough water.

Over the next 4 weeks he has continue to limp badly. Finally When I tried to take him out on Tuesday afternoon he could not stand up on all fours. He managed to get up on his two front paws but just could not get the two back legs working. I tried to help him by lifting his back end up. But all he wanted to do was just lay down again.

Now I knew this was the decision I was dreading. I have made the painful decision to euthanize him. My DD and I will take him to the Vet and then I will have him cremated so I can scatter his ashes in a nice place.

DAMN IT I HATE THIS!!!!!!!!!!! 2 events (losing loved ones) like this in a very short space of time
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Sorry Racket Man that really sucks. I once read this and had to go find it it gets you in the feels but it has a good ending.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/benny...6375600160863/

You buddy will always be with you in spirit.

Comment

Oh, Racket Man - it happened to me too.

One loved one after another died in an all-too-brief period of time starting in 2008. 2010-2014 were the worst years of my life. In addition to hearing about one family death after another, I had to have my wonderful kitty put to sleep. Having already been devastated by immense grief, this one was just too much.

It's just not fair. It's not right. We should be allowed to grieve much, much longer before another one leaves us.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
        Oh, Racket Man - it happened to me too.

It's just not fair. It's not right. We should be allowed to grieve much, much longer before another one leaves us.
        Me, too. I know life's not fair, but sometimes it's just NOT FAIR, DAMMIT.

There are hugs here for you, Racket Man.

Comment

Damn, that's hard. I'm sorry for you losing both of them. Hopefully after you've had some time you can open your heart to another doggie or other critter. (My vote is for one from a shelter, but I'm biased.)
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
            Damn, that's hard. I'm sorry for you losing both of them. Hopefully after you've had some time you can open your heart to another doggie or other critter. (My vote is for one from a shelter, but I'm biased.)
            This is my plan eventually. I just have to wait a bit to see how things sort themselves out. IF I am forced to actually rent an apt. again I might have to forgo a furry companion.

I have now realized this ----- This is the first time in decades that I am totally alone in my own home. as in No spouse/significant other, no pets/fury companion(s), no child no roommate, no parents----- NO ONE but me. This is a very weird situation for me.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

/hugs RM

I'm sorry for your loss.

Comment

*oodles of hugs*

I'm so sorry, RM.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

*massive huge hugs*

Keeping you in my thoughts RM
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                    This is the first time in decades that I am totally alone in my own home. as in No spouse/significant other, no pets/fury companion(s), no child no roommate, no parents----- NO ONE but me. This is a very weird situation for me.
                    It's very uncomfortable, yes. The silence is deafening. Take care of yourself, give yourself time to grieve. I hope things get better for you.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

*hugs Racket_Man lots*

*more hugs*
                      1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                      -----
                      http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Working...
                      X