Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just got gut punched (a bit long and rambling)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got gut punched (a bit long and rambling)

As some of you will remember my GF passed away about 4 months ago. She did have a will and it is in probate court. Now 6 months before she passed she was able to get on my states Medicaid program (time frame is important) by doing the liquid asset spend down and such.

Yes she did have prior medical bills but some of them were partially covered by the Federal Medicare program and hardship bill reduction/forgiveness. She also had a mortgage on the house that was about 80% paid off.

Now concerning the house: GF really wanted me to have the house even IF I had to buy it. Because of the way the Federal and state disability laws are written (the financial aspects that is) GF could not transfer the house to her daughter or sell it at a reduced price (which looking at circumstances yes I agree).

Now if GF were to have had to go into a care facility the house would have to be sold ASAP and the state would (after paying off the mortgage) use whatever funds were left to "assist" in paying for her care. My state is one of those that really likes to keep people at home and do the majority of caregiving in the home. This is to keep expenses down and the person is at home where they are most comfortable.

OK now back to my situation. for the last 3 months I have been, on the direction of the probate lawyer, essencially renting the house by paying the mortgage payment , utilities and cable bills. I also applied for a home loan, through my bank, a purchase price I thought would cover the mortgage payoff, medical bills and other expenses and give me a monthly mortgage payment I could afford ( lower than renting even in the not so nice parts of my town).

The house will NEVER sell at full appraised/market value. IT is an older house with older problems (not willing to detail them here). GF and I were, after getting married (which did not happen because of her disability), were going to gradually remodel the house as much as possible so I know intimately what needs to be updated/upgraded/fixed.

I got approved for said loan about 2 months ago and have played the waiting game for the will to move through probate court which essenctially means the court gathers all the "claims" against the estate and figures out what to do and who to give what $$$s to.

GF daughter came by today with the bills and dropped a punch in the gut (NOT her fault she was just "relaying" the message from the lawyer she even feels bad about this). It seems the state NOW wants $25,000 in "reimbursement" for the 6 months of enhanced care they provided access to/paid for.

WOW I knew they might try and get some of the funds spent BUT THAT AMOUNT????? WHAT the holly hell is going on in this world these days. I know people game the system but everything we did was above board and transparent. All the state sees is that big juicy high dollar asset that they let her keep as per the law and now they want that too!!!!!!!

IF this does happen it really dashes all hope of me attempting to buy the house and flips my world upside down once again (GF passing and getting my dog put to sleep within a month of each other). Along with all of the other crazy shit that has happened in my life

WHAT deity did I piss off and when?
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

All I can say is, lawyer up. The only alternative is to (probably) lose the house.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

That sucks. I have nothing to offer other than <hugs> and lotsawine Good luck, dealing with bureaucrats is even worse than working retail :/

Comment

Working...
      X