This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Kids

What is one of the stupidest or most risky things that you or someone you know did as a kid?

I'll start off. When I was maybe 5 or 6 years old, my family was at a barbecue at one of our friend's houses. This family friend had a son who I attended school with and we were horsing around in the back yard. IIRC, we either were pretending to be rams or were playing chicken, but didn't know the rules, but we ended up running ad fast as we could at each other with our heads lowered, slamming them together. We both fell down crying and my friend's dad, who was a pediatrician, brought us and our parents to an Urgent Care clinic. I ended up needing staples, since I split the skin on top of my head open, and my friend had a concussion.
    Note to self: Hot glass looks like Cold glass.

I once one my bare hand to test a stove when I was 12 or so. I had a nice ring around my palm for days. At 14 I leaned in too close and fell back, my ankle was melon sized for a week. At 8 I didn't pay attention and stuck my leg too close to spinning bike wheel, skinned my leg. None of these warranted a trip to the hospital since my parents were of the "unless you have a limb missing stick some neosporin" type. My sister was worse, she put her hand thru a glass pane playing tag, chopped her finger with a saw, fractured her arm. Thankfully she did go to the hospital. My brother didn't do anything stupid so he's never had an injury, he's in his 20s.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Stupid but not risky: when I was about five, a friend and I had heard adults talking about dandelion "milk" ... you can see where this is going ...

Needless to say, dandelion "milk" doesn't taste AT ALL like cow's milk.

Somewhere around the same age, a friend dared me to drop a rather large stone on her foot. So I did. I'm not sure who was more stupid there: her for making the dare, or me for taking her up on it.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I touched the neighbor's electric fence. Zzzzap! I stuck my thumb in a hot cigarette lighter in the car. I can remember my kid logic which was that the car wasn't running, and the coils weren't glowing so it must not be hot.

There were others, but I'm just counting things I did on purpose, not stuff that happened accidentally, like when I fell and bit through my lip, or when I was swimming and chipped my tooth off on the edge of the pool.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Another thing I did was when I was 7 or 8, I almost set one of my grandparents chairs on fire with my grandpa's lighter.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
            I once one my bare hand to test a stove when I was 12 or so.
            Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            I stuck my thumb in a hot cigarette lighter in the car. I can remember my kid logic which was that the car wasn't running, and the coils weren't glowing so it must not be hot.

Hah, I used the same logic on our stove top when I was about 3. It wasn't glowing, so it wasn't hot! So obviously it was OK to lean on as I was climbing up on the counter.

One trip to the ER later.......
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
              Hah, I used the same logic on our stove top when I was about 3. It wasn't glowing, so it wasn't hot! So obviously it was OK to lean on as I was climbing up on the counter.

One trip to the ER later.......
              I like to think I was intelligent as a kid, but I do remember it took a few tries before I learned that hot glass looks like cold glass.

Comment

When I was in my .... er, single digits somewhere, probably around 7 or 8, we had finished cleaning up from my birthday party. We had a Space Walk (bouncy house) there, which had just finished deflating. I, in my decidedly finite wisdom, decided to see what would happen if I plugged the thing back in and rode it to the top. I waited for the remaining adults to go inside, then I tried it... I actually held on long enough to get it to full height, then promptly lost my grip and slid/bounced down the side, head first. By some miracle of pure, unadulterated luck, I just sorta bounced when I reached the grass, shook my head, and wandered off into the house wiht no aprant negutiv sid efxtz.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth apocolypse101 View Post
                  What is one of the stupidest or most risky things that you or someone you know did as a kid?
                  That list is so long I'm having trouble narrowing it down to even a few. Let's see...
                  • stuck my finger in a power socket to see what would happen
                  • touched a stove burner after turning it off, assumed it would be instantly cold (which seems to be a theme here)
                  • loaded the payload section of a model rocket (like this one) with gunpowder -- again, to see what would happen (I expected a bit of a bang; I got an explosion that set off car alarms a non-trivial distance away)

...and that's just a few seconds of thinking. (Thinking right now, that is; obviously not thinking back then.)
                  Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                  OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                  she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                  Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I jumped off various roofs, multiple times with a variety of objects that I thought may slow my downward trajectory. Umbrellas, grocery bags, trash bags, etc. None of them worked haha. I wasn't a dumbass, it was science!!! Can't believe I never broke anything.

we went into a half burned shell of a house. Still the scariest thing I've ever done. there were bloody handprints on the wall.... Nothing happened, but I still remember that. I was only like 10

About 10 blocks away from my house, there was some sort of natural pond. I used to go there, wade in and catch tadpoles. Ignoring all of the used needles from all of the drug users that hung around there.

A group of us kids went to some home made bike jump/track thing. People used it as a dumping ground as well. there was a guy on a couch with a dog next to him and we thought they were dead. So we poked him with a stick. he was not dead and was not happy.

Comment

Riding bikes too fast and sans helmets.

I skinned myself up pretty good a few times and my sister once split her lip wide open. Guess we are lucky we never broke bones or needed stitches.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I was about 4 or 5(???) and it was Easter morning and we were at my Aunt and Uncle's house. they had a basement greenhouse setup complete with near ground level windows/glass.

Guess who thought it would be fun to crawl onto the glass with NO fear whatsoever???? ME and I got a REAL good lesson in gravity that day as I fell about 10 feet to a concrete floor. Surprisingly I did not break anything, bruise anything or scape anything. The fall could have ended VERY badly for me. I also landed on my back with just a REALLY GOOOD SCARE.

After Uncle repaired the windows he also installed some solid chicken wire fencing sections over the windows. I remember some weeks later walking up to the greenhouse windows and patting them for some reason.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I thought of some new ones. when my son was about 4 or 5, he decided to peel large strips of weather stripping off the door and shove them up his nose. I think he had like 6 or 7 inches shoved aaaallllll the way up there. Almost an emergency visit.

He jumped off of a chair once, and bit completely through his tongue. Still has a scar

He was riding his bike when we were on a walk about 7 years old, got clotheslined by a sunflower. went ass over teakettle off his bike. an onlooker called 911 for that one (he was bruised and scraped but fine)

Comment

This was not something I did to my self, but something my friend and I did to our younger siblings. We were about 8 and we made mud pies and told them they were chocolate pies and they ate them

Comment

Working...
                            X