Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would anyone else talk to their mother like this?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would anyone else talk to their mother like this?

This dealt with a simple cancellation of the internet, yet it took longer than needed. Why? Well, take a long look at this one:

Me: Thank your for calling ABC internet, how may I help you?

SC: I'm calling for my mother, who is hard of hearing. I need to cancel her internet.

Me: OK, I will be happy to do that for you. I just need......

SC: (Background noise) Mom! Can you please shut up a minute so I can cancel this for you?

Me; Uh, maam, I will need to......

SC: Yeah, yeah. Just a second. My mother talks to much all the time that she can't shut up for one second so I can help her.

Me: All right. (Waited for nearly two long minutes while she's placating her mother)

SC: OK, now I can take care of this. What do you need?

Me: I first will need to verify the account information.

SC: Aw, come on! You waited this long to tell me that? (Uh, no bitch. I did not wait to tell you this at a later time. You're the one verbally abusing your mother)

Me: No, maam. I was waiting for you to......

SC: (More inaudible noise) Mom! I told you to shut the hell up so I can do this for you. I can't do this if you keep running your damn mouth!

Me: Uh, maam. Perhaps it might be better if you call back at a later time.

SC: Don't patronize me and tell me that. I've been trying to cancel this for four days now and can't get you all to do it. (Yeah, that's because you're spending more time abusing your mother)

Me: I understand that, maam, but if you could just verify.......

SC: Dammit, Mom! I told you to stop talking to me so I can cancel the service. Damn!

Me: (By this time, I really wanted to end this call, and she still has not verified the account information) Maam, I really need you to verify the account, and then I will be happy to cancel.

SC: Ugh! Its'..................Mom! I told you to shut the hell up. I can't talk to this stupid guy and you at the same time.

Me: Thank you, maam!

SC: For what?

Me: I was thanking you for both the compliment, and for verifying your account. It's canceled. Is there anything else I can help you with? (Cringing that she will not say "yes")

SC: No, thank you! (And as she's hanging up the phone.....) Damn, Mom! How many times (click!)

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I do not think I would be here today if I spoke to my parents like this. I'm an adult now, and I still do not think my parents would allow this. But, I do know of some households where it seems like the children, not the parents, are in charge. Does this seem odd to anyone else?

I'm not going to lie, my mom and I have said that sort of stuff to each other. Our family runs on a high level of sarcasm, quick wit, and deadpan humour. The hard part is remembering not everyone is like that.
    "I live in Los Angeles, and I was on the walk of fame. I was drunk, and I got a henna tattoo that says, 'Forever.'" -Zack Galifianakis

Call Sophia Moore or Kent E. Ryder for a good time!

Comment

If I talked to either of my parents like that, I'd have been beaten black and blue by both of them, even if only one was present at the time.

As for the customer, I think I might have just hung up after the little insult regardless of the consequences. Verbal abuse over the phone is one of those areas where I don't feel obligated to put up with it when I can hang up instead.
      The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Me and my mom joke around all the time and will swear at one another, cut rude jokes, make snide comments, etc., but it's ALWAYS in a joking way and I would NEVER be that rude to her were I not kidding around.
        Though on the same note, an ex of mine would always tell me how terrible I was for talking to my mother the way that I did, never paying attention to the fact that it was all a joke between her and I and that she knew for a fact I wasn't serious, as I knew she wasn't either.

Some people are so lacking in respect that they can't even be arsed to direct even the smallest amount to the people who gave them life.

Comment

I'm 20 years old now, but if I talked to my mother that way, there would be hell to pay.

Comment

You and me both, Pizzaboy. Safe to say, if I were to ever treat my mother that way (not joking around not teasing each other, but honestly arguing), and I swore at her, I'd be lucky if I'd get an open casket funeral.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Both my mother and I have said worse things than that, however can you imagine how annoying it would be if you were in his/her position. Im not saying its right to abuse someone (anyone including your mother) but I always try and put myself into both sides shoes.

Imagine your trying to talk to someone on the phone (doing a favour for your mom) and she wont shut up.... seriously! It sounds like that person was at the end of their rope.
              I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post

Imagine your trying to talk to someone on the phone (doing a favour for your mom) and she wont shut up.... seriously! It sounds like that person was at the end of their rope.
                I don't know......I still look at this as abuse no matter what other people may think. Sure, sometimes your parents, your children, even your friends can do things like try to talk to you while you're on the phone, and it can get on your nerves. Still I do not think this justifies literally cursing these people out, and also allowing some strange person on the other end of the call (which was me) hear all of this unpleasant banter. I can only hope this person does not work somewhere such as a nursing home, daycare center, pre-school, what have you.

Comment

Quoth KuzcoLlama View Post
                  I'm not going to lie, my mom and I have said that sort of stuff to each other. Our family runs on a high level of sarcasm, quick wit, and deadpan humour. The hard part is remembering not everyone is like that.
                  I still find no good reason that children, even if they are now adults, would have the right to speak to their mothers like this. I have a really good couple of questions to ask you on this: Is this how you speak to other people? Were you raised to be rude, nasty, and downright condescending to people, especially people who are much older than you? I know I wasn't, and again, I cannot justify speaking like this with a total stranger on the other end of my phone call.

Comment

sounds like maybe the mom didn't WANT the service cancelled.... perhaps darling daughter was paying for it and got pissed at mom and wanted to cancel the service......and mom wasn't "shutting up" b/c she didn't want the service cancelled..

still doesn't sound like a really loving relationship......

Comment

And you missed what I said. We do it jokingly, hence the line about sarcasm. My entire family and I joke to each other like this. I promise not to be so subtle with what I say next time.

EDIT: And yes, I have enough brain cells to rein my sarcasm in public. Such as me and my mom at the dentist's office where I politely pointed out she gave them the wrong number instead of making a joke.
                      Last edited by KuzcoLlama; 05-24-2007, 07:38 PM.
                      "I live in Los Angeles, and I was on the walk of fame. I was drunk, and I got a henna tattoo that says, 'Forever.'" -Zack Galifianakis

Call Sophia Moore or Kent E. Ryder for a good time!

Comment

Perhaps I was taking what you said too personally there. I am fine with joking around and being sarcastic to be funny. However, this call I was referring to was nothing close to joking around. It was so awful that it made me wonder if not only this lady is verbally abusive with her mother, but also physically. And if she is one of those people who then drags me into the middle of it, calling me stupid only because I won't just give in to her and keep quiet without verifying her information, then that strengthens my point of her being your no-so-ordinary person who just kids around.

Comment

we don't know the full story here . . . .

It could be a situation where the child has had to become the parent. If the Mom has a mental challange . . . all kinds of things could be going on.
                          I knew of a situation where they had to block QVC cause the Adult living in their house didn't understand what she was buying - she would just call in because the number came across the screen.
                          Could be that Mom is on a very fixed income . . . and it comes down to a matter of choices . . .and if the "children" can't help Mom out - then it could be frustrating.

Of course the Elderly are protected . . . there is honestly nothing to prevent you from turing in a suspescion of Elder Abuse without giving your inro.

Comment

I dunno, if I spoke with my Mom like that, I'd lose a couple teeth. We do joke around, but you can HEAR we're kidding - as in gales of laughter...
                            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

All things being equal, I wouldn't speak to anyone like that.

However, I can't say how i would behave if, for example, I was compelled to become sole carer for a parent with severe dementia, who literally drove me insane with frustration because even the simplest thing was beyond them. Not all people with dementia, for example become sweet dotty old ladies. Some of them become downright nasty foul-mouthed old b*tches and make their families' lives a misery because they are physically well enough to live alone, but mentally in desperate need of a carer. If you are living 24/7 with someone who is severely mentally ill, who never stops talking, who soils themselves every two hours, who lets themselves out of the house in the middle of the night unless you barricade the doors like Fort Knox and who regualrly spends hours screaming abuse at you, you might be somewhat short with that person as well.

Obviously, we have no way of knowing if the situation in your caller's house is anything like that, or if the daughter was indeed a genuinely abusive person, but its something to bear in mind.
                              A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                              - Dave Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X