Go Back   Customers Suck! > Community > Off Topic > Life Advice

Getting a Quasi-Related certification?
Old 04-18-2020, 08:10 PM
Area Manager

Default Getting a Quasi-Related certification?

Ok, as many of you know, I am a software developer by trade.

I'm strongly considering getting a Microsoft Azure certification (Azure Developer Associate), but that's rather expensive, and I would likely have to use vacation time to do it.

That said, a couple of years back, I did get a quasi-related certification related to Kanban.

The Kanban one has, for lack of a better term, a "next step". It's $1,000 initially ($280 for the "application" and $800 for the "membership" (which is a yearly fee). Which is also expensive, but only about 1/3 of what some of the other training I'm looking at costs.

I'm thinking about doing it. If nothing else it gives me one more credential that I can use personally, but I would like to think it would give me value at my company as well.

I'm also considering getting another Scaled Agile certification (Implementing SAFe). That one is $3,000, and again, I'd probably have to take time off work, even for a "virtual" course right now.

I've heard that, in general, any certification is better than no certification. I've also heard they're meaningless.

Thoughts?