This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Towel Tosser Has Crossed The Line

The towel tosser, C, from previous posts has finally crossed the line. I'm sure you guys remember her from the previous posts, namely the one where she purposely trashed the hotel room so that "those fuckers" would clean it. Well kids, it took all that I had to keep from throttling her this afternoon. This is a long one. I am sooooooo mad.

She has never, ever, ever worked in customer service, except for a remarkably brief stint in the call center before she applied for this job and moved. Actually, during her highschool days she wasn't expected to hold a "regular" job, as she helped out on the ranch at home. ALSO she wasn't expected to work while in college, so she had LITTLE job (and real life) experience after graduation. I’ve explained all that in previous posts.

We were on our way back from lunch when we saw this woman, probably late 20's, in a Burger King uniform walking on the sidewalk. C pointed her out and said "Oh look, she just got off her shift at the fast food store because she's not smart enough to have the job qualifications for anything else!" before erupting into a fit of giggles at this woman’s expense.

Whisky.
    Tango.
    Foxtrot?

I casually mentioned that fast food is a job that I will never do again and that I had dutifully put in my time behind the counter. Her giggles ceased at that point, as she realized the weight of them. She stammered that she'd never done food service before...or retail either (trying to change the subject). I said that I had done BOTH, and I believe EVERYONE should do one or the other at some point in their life. Obviously uncomfortable with her faux pas, she tried to change the subject again, and stammered half hearted, embarrassed apoligies. I, on the other hand, felt it necessary to give this stuck up little you-know-what a little talking-to from a former not smart enough to have better job-skills person.

I told her the tale of being 15 and having a hamburger smashed into my face because it was not prepared just right and of having to remove a customer from the store that I managed due to his name-calling of my 15-year-old counter person. Of giving up prime “party nights” because I had to work and of the thieves and general rudeness of those you encounter in retail.

I told her about the people you meet, in any service position, that think you are a looser or mentally challenged simply because you wear a uniform.

She did not say anything the rest of the ride back, and has said very little to me since we’ve been back in the office.

It makes my blood boil when ignorant people feel the need to flap their mouth hole. It’s an industry that, by her own admission, she knows nothing about and yet she still feels the need to put down another human being because of it. Neither of us knew anything about that lady, save for the most obvious, outward facts: She was a brunette in her late 20’s that worked at Burger King. She could have been a young woman putting herself through college or a single mother doing the best she can to keep herself off of welfare and her kids fed. Maybe she was a housewife trying to earn a little money of her own or fill her otherwise boring days with something constructive.

Or maybe she was just a lady trying to earn an honest freaking dollar, just like the rest of us in the world.

How dare she or anyone else take it upon them self to pass judgment. Who the hell do you think you are?

People like C wouldn’t last a day salting fries and apologizing for “the wait” than can't be helped in a lunch rush. C would be rocking in a freaking corner with 3 bus loads of teenagers rampaging through the lobby. She’d crack after an hour of folding and refolding a display of shirts and cleaning out dressing rooms at prom time. She doesn’t have what it takes to spend her 8 hours running around covering different departments let alone being able to answer questions in said departments. Her stint in the call center was so brief; she never made it past the probationary period where a supervisor was there to hold her hand the entire time. Yes C, I want to tell her, ‘if you take that bit of customer service work, you can say that it’s easy. You’ve never had food ground into your pores, drinks thrown at you, or been screamed at while you sat there, helplessly silent and fighting back tears. It’s easy for you pass judgment and look down your nose at people who wait on you because YOU'VE NEVER DONE IT. You’re lacking humility, and its from that humility that compassion stems. It’s where character begins to take shape to create a humble and caring individual.

Like I told her, those of us that have done our time in customer service think long and hard before raising a stink. We, unlike you, have a very hard time being an ass, because we've been on the other side of it.

GOD DAMN IT I'M PISSED. And she knows it. I did't even have to raise my voice, or cop an attitude. I think she realized the size of the nerve she hit. It's people like HER that burn us out. Attitudes like hers that make me insist that everyone needs to spend some time on the other side of that counter.

On a related note, I tried on some clothes at Target (thats where we were coming from) and I gathered up the gigantic pile of clothes in the dressing room and brought them to the girl at the front. She looked utterly shocked stuttered a surprised thank you to me. I patted her arm and told her it was no biggie. I know how awful it is to clean out changing rooms.

See? It's that kind of compassion and responsibility that customer service fosters. It's all about being kind to one another. It's not that hard.
    Well fiddle dee dee!!

I'm completely of the opinion that everyone should work in some form of customer service for a while in their life, just to give them some compassion for the retail workers they often think nothing of abusing.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I have to agree. I think it should be mandatory that everyone (especially the people who are just getting out of high school or college) should have to work in customer service or retail for a time.
      "If ignorance is bliss, then I work in Heaven."

Comment

I have to agree on the making people work retail/food at least once in their lives. I think it should be at least a year for each. My wife has only worked food, not retail, so there are times I need to stop her before she gets into SC type behavior.

Like today, she wanted to complain to a manager how an employee told us the store (large sporting goods store) was out of an item, and to try the store across the hallway (we were at the mall). The other store had a similar item, for about $10 more than what I found on the first stores webpage. We decided to just go back over to the first store and look for ourselves. Sure enough, we found what we were looking for, and it was actually $5 cheaper than that stores webpage had it listed at. So she starts saying we should tell management about the one employee, and I said no, since we didn't know the persons name, and we couldn't remember exactly what they looked like. I didn't want to waste the managers time having to go around questioning every male employee to find out which one it was.

Comment

Jesus, someone smashed a hamburger into your face? That's got to be the worst thing I've ever read happen to anyone here. WTF is wrong with someone who would think that was an appropriate response to anything?
          "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

What a great post, SnapAddict218. I know you were (are) mad while writing it but you sure stated your case, and very well I might add.

A few years ago, before I worked in the hell-hole I'm in now, I had gone there for groceries. I finished my shopping and headed for a checklane. Ahead of me were two old, blue-haired biddies dressed in furs and bling-bling, obviously SO much better than the rest of humanity.

There was a very nice older gentleman who was a greeter. He had come to our lane for some reason (I don't recall exactly what) but he had to pass by myself and these two old b***hes. After he walked away one of them made a derogatory remark about him and the other commented that he should get a real job.

I was so angry but I didn't have the guts to tell them off. Now that I'm in retail I regret that I didn't use that opportunity to tell them just what I thought of them. Good for you that you let the towel tosser know what you thought of her stupidity!
            Retail Haiku:
            Depression sets in.
            The hellhole is calling me ~
            I don't want to go.

Comment

You said EXACTLY what I have been saying for yrs to people. I CHOSE to work the resturant business as my career but many people have looked down upon me because of my choice. They thumb their nose at that fact that I am in the fast food business. I love the work, it is extremely hard, very challenging and very rewarding. Fast food is the foundation of instilling good work ethics in today's youth. I find it very satisifying when I train a new employee and they learn valuable lessons of respect and hardwork. These young people go on in life but what they learn in the resturant business will help them in any situation through life. I am not just a shift manager, I am a mother, a director, a teacher, a guidence counselor, a therapist, a big sister, a nurse and a friend. I am getting out of the business, which is why I am enrolled in college to obtain a business degree but the only reason is because I am getting too old and the body is starting to wear down.

Comment

I've read the stories you've posted about this woman before, SnapAddict. I just have one question..

WHY on Earth do you keep hanging out with her?!?!?!
                From what I've read about her.. she sounds like a dumb, stuck-up bitch that revels in judging people she doesn't know based on their current career choices. If I were around her for any length of time, I'd probably snap and strangle her!

I can't stand people who think that everyone who works retail must be dim-witted, a welfare queen or lazy/unmotivated. What these dumbfucks DON'T think about is that many of us are also full-time students, struggling parents or maybe we don't really HAVE to work a full-time job because our spouse has a job and so we just want a little of our own spending money. Sometimes I can just FEEL people looking down their nose at me. My boyfriend says it's only my imagination, but I don't think it is.

I guess it looks really simple and easy to stand behind a counter and ring up items or take orders at a fast-food restaurant. So these people who've never had to work a crappy retail/food service job in their life just think "Oh, any idiot could do that." What they don't realize is that we work our ASSES off for shitty wages, are generally unappreciated by the public and have to deal with screaming, grumpy-ass customers all day. And if you put those people in our shoes for a day, they would probably snap, freak out and run away crying from the pressure.
                My Myspace, add me!

Comment

I hear that a lot too at our store. So many customers "joke" that oh, they should get a job here for the discount...yeah, right...

Sometimes I just want to say to them "you wouldn't last 5 minutes here" - with your entitled attitude, i can't see you cleaning out the fitting rooms, putting stuff back on hangers, folding, running around like a chicken to the back, going up and down the ladders to get stuff, vacuuming, and the list goes on. They think its funny, but in reality, having seen how they act as customers, i wouldnt want to work with them! I work my ass off, and yes sometimes its a pain, but most of the time, i enjoy it. We also have a few ladies who work there already who don't need to, but do simply for the discount. Fortunately, i don't have to work with them often...

And as for people who think only losers work in retail or fast food - I work full time, and part time in retail - and i have a graduate degree....i'm not bragging, just making a point, don't judge someone by what they do...i do it by choice. I live in an expensive area, and have a lot of debt. The second job allows me to pay my bills, and buy a few things i might not have been able to.

I have the utmost respect for anyone who works in ANY job dealing with the public. I don't care why you cashier at the grocery store, or work at a fast food restaurant, or work in retail - you are still a person, and as such, deserve to be treated well. If i'm shopping, i will put my clothes back on hangers, bring them out, etc. i would never leave them in a pile on the fitting room floor, as so many of our customers do.

I agree with everyone else who says that people should be required to work some type of job where they deal with the public. I think it would be a rude awakening for many of them!

Comment

This is why I'm so happy Paris got put in prison. Some people don't work a single minute of their lives. They need a dose of reality.
                    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                      Jesus, someone smashed a hamburger into your face?
                      Yeah, because it had pickles on it. The other 2 people waiting in line at the time looked surprised, but complained to the manager when I ran to the back because the mustard in my eyes and onions in my nose were burning. I think of that story first when people want to put down fast food. You pick ketchup and greasy bits of burger out of your ears before coming back to handle dinner rush and then tell me how ANYONE can do that job.

WHY on Earth do you keep hanging out with her?!?!?!
                      It's not by choice, I can assure you. She is the wife of my boyfriend's good friend, and she is my office mate. She actually helped me get this job. Since I've taken the job with her, I do not hang out with her by choice. I can't stand her. That day she invited herself along to my target outing. Normally I don't care because I tune her out. Tonight there is a get together, so I have to see her tonight also.
                      Well fiddle dee dee!!

Comment

Definitely - what's funny, is i don't think there's been any "news" of her or her being in jail for the last few days....how sad....although why it was newsworthy to begin with, i'll never know.

Comment

The towel tosser should be asked to answer a few questions.

Do you ever eat at Burger King? Do you eat at any restaurant, or drink at any pub? Do you get groceries? Do you ever go to the movies? Do you ever buy a pair of shoes, get an oil change, fill your tank, borrow a book from the library, pay your bills, take a flight, surf the internet, drink coffee, see a doctor, or go to an amusement park?

You have those of us in the service industry to thank for that. We aren't just contributing to the economy...more and more, as production is outsourced overseas, we ARE the economy. We allow you to live your lives.

Despite the amount of shit the young woman in the Burger King uniform takes from people like the towel tosser, she still gets up everyday, puts on that uniform, and goes to work to earn an honest living by serving the eternally ungrateful.

What a repulsive society we live in that such a person should be treated as an object of scorn by the very people to whom she gives so much.
                          Last edited by Boozy; 06-16-2007, 05:53 PM.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Yeah, because it had pickles on it. The other 2 people waiting in line at the time looked surprised, but complained to the manager when I ran to the back because the mustard in my eyes and onions in my nose were burning. I think of that story first when people want to put down fast food. You pick ketchup and greasy bits of burger out of your ears before coming back to handle dinner rush and then tell me how ANYONE can do that job.
                            I can't believe that the other customers in line had absolutely NO sympathy for you! I guess they wanted you to stand there, smile, and take their orders happily with condiments all over your face? What's wrong with people! Technically, you probably could've nailed that customer for assault. But you probably didn't think of that at the time. I would've made a big show about it if I were you.. "Oh god, my eyes! It burns!!" so then you COULD nail them for assault.

It's not by choice, I can assure you. She is the wife of my boyfriend's good friend, and she is my office mate. She actually helped me get this job. Since I've taken the job with her, I do not hang out with her by choice. I can't stand her. That day she invited herself along to my target outing. Normally I don't care because I tune her out. Tonight there is a get together, so I have to see her tonight also.
                            I know you feel like you have to be hospitable to this woman, but maybe you could just limit your contact with her to work only? You'll probably see her at a lot of social gatherings since she is the wife of your b/f's friend, but you by no means have to hang out with her or even talk to her other than a Hello! And how rude of her to just invite herself along on your shopping trip. I would've told her to bugger off myself. Don't feel like you HAVE to be this awful woman's friend. I'm guessing she doesn't have many friends because of her terrible attitude/personality, so it looks like she's latched on to you.
                            Last edited by RammsteinGirl; 06-16-2007, 05:40 PM.
                            My Myspace, add me!

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                              The towel tosser should be asked to answer a few questions.

Do you ever eat at Burger King? Do you eat at any restaurant, or drink at any pub? Do you get groceries? Do you ever go to the movies? Do you ever buy a pair of shoes, get an oil change, fill your tank, borrow a book from the library, pay your bills, take a flight, surf the internet, drink coffee, see a doctor, or go to an amusement park?

You have those of us in the service industry to thank for that. We aren't just contributing to the economy...more and more, as production is outsourced overseas, we ARE the economy. We allow you to live your lives.

Despite the amount of shit the young woman in the Burger King uniform takes from people like the towel tosser, she still gets up everyday, puts on that uniform, and goes to work to earn an honest living by serving the eternally ungrateful.

What a repulsive society we live in that such a person should be the object of scorn by the very people to whom she gives so much.
                              Very well said Boozy! Unfortunately, I don't think most people think of it that way. I have more respect for a "burger flipper" than someone who inherited all their money and never has to lift a finger (a Paris Hilton-type), someone on welfare NOT working that is perfectly capable of working, or some lowlife peddling drugs out on the street. And you're right - without service industry workers, life in this country would grind to a complete halt - no groceries, gas, clothes or any of the comforts we're accustomed to would be able to be bought and people would riot. "You don't know what you got 'till it's gone"
                              Last edited by RammsteinGirl; 06-16-2007, 05:48 PM.
                              My Myspace, add me!

Comment

Working...
                              X