This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first story

This one is probably one of my weaker ones considering all the crap I've seen in the time I've been in customer service.

I used to take calls for emergency roadside assistance. It's amazing how many people think that when they would call in, I'd just be able to push a key on my keyboard and beam them a truck. (Even if I could, it still probably wouldn't be quick enough for some!)

If service was late, they'd call back for an update. Some folks were nice, others, not so nice. The company was so big that they would not always get the same person calling in. Here's one story of such conversation:

SC: Hello, I'd like to know where the truck is?
    ME: Hold on while I'll check that out.
    (get the info in a couple minutes)
    ME: It's going to be about another 20 - 30 mins. We do apologize for the delay, but it won't be much longer than that.
    SC: WHAT? I CALLED IN TWO HOURS AGO! (mind you, when the calls come in, they are time stamped! She had only called in less than one hour before.)
    ME: I apologize for the inconvience, but they are running a little behind.
    SC: MY HUSBAND CAME HOME FROM WORK ON THE 1/2 HR HE GETS FOR LUNCH TO HELP THE DRIVER! HE'S ALREADY LATE GETTING BACK TO WORK AND YOU SAY IT'S GOING TO BE LONGER?!?!?!?!?!

I attempt to assure her that her husband could go back to work because our driver can handle getting the car on the truck by himself. She was adamant about having her husband there to help the driver. In my opinion, this lady did not want to be alone with the driver!Which, if she would've said that, if that was the case, I'd understand.

SC: WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG!?!? I WANT TO KNOW!

I called the company back to ask for details on the extended ETA. They explained that someone was broke down at the nearby Wal-Mart that they had to get to first. I understood this, I know that any call that comes in from someone who is not at home takes precidence over someone who is in the comfort of their own home.

ME: Ma'am, the driver had to stop to assist someone broken down at Wal-Mart. Then he will be coming to assist you. Calls that come in from people who are not at home come before those that are. (Mind you, I never told her WHO or WHAT kind of person was at Wal-Mart because I didn't know that info)
    SC: WHAT? THAT'S JUST RIDICULOUS! MY HUSBAND HAS TO BE BACK AT WORK AND SOMEONE WHO HAS TO BE BACK AT WORK TAKES PRESIDENCE OVER A LITTLE OLD LADY AT WAL MART!

I was flabbergasted. I didn't know what to say to her. There was the akward pause and me grasping for words. All conversations are recorded and nothing I wanted to say would allow me to keep my job.

I finally told her that I was sorry she felt that way, but that is how service is determined. She hung up on me.
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

you handled it well, I think sometimes going into a somber monotone works best..... they think they are dealing with a machine, might as well act like one.

I have come to hate that word.... ridiculous.... even typing it makes my blood boil!!
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

What an ungrateful bitch, I hope her husband lost his job

Comment

I KNOW! That word is way over used when dealing with angry customers!
        "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

You totally handled that call appropriately. Sounds like she needed a good slapping in the mouth. *sigh*
          The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

And now the food service version:

SC: [ten minutes or so after ordering]: "Hey, what's going on with the food? We're hungry here!"
            ME: "Sir, you DID order a well done steak, and those DO take longer."
            SC: "This is [wait for it....] RIDICULOUS! How long does it take to cook one lousy piece of beef?"
            ME: "The answer to that question, of course, is anywhere from 15-25 or more minutes if you want the thing well done, sir. Now...SIT down and shut the FUCK up, and I WILL bring your food to you WHEN it is ready, the way YOU ordered it, and NOT a moment sooner!"

Okay, so that last part is just the answer I WANT to give.....

THREE DAYS TILL VACATION!!! (And I won't have to deal with suckass customers for a week!)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Ahh, the things we wish we could say.

My ex husband, too smart for his own good, had a funny story regarding a lunch shift he worked.

The restaurant he was working in got slammed. While he was running through someone else's section a SC stopped him and demanded, "What the hell is going on around here!?!"

Ex-hubby, being the educated smart-ass he is, started into "Well sir, what we have going on is lunch. It started somewhere back in (such and such time) and was revolutionized by the coming of restaurants (somewhere in some country) where people could actually go out and dine elsewhere besides their homes."

He continued that speech for a few moments and walked away smiling. I wish I could've seen the look on that guys face!

Comment

Quoth SonOfSpam
                What an ungrateful bitch, I hope her husband lost his job
                Oh, C'mon now. let's not take it out on the husband, you don't want to sentence him to be with this wench do you? Hmmm.. I wonder How long his lunch REALLY was, if this chick is like that around the house, i could see him not wanting to be home if he could avoid it. Geez, woman, emergencies happen, and NO ONE controls them.By the way, you did a great job heathermv, welcome to the site.

Comment

Quoth Crow The Robot
                  Oh, C'mon now. let's not take it out on the husband, you don't want to sentence him to be with this wench do you? Hmmm.. I wonder How long his lunch REALLY was, if this chick is like that around the house, i could see him not wanting to be home if he could avoid it. Geez, woman, emergencies happen, and NO ONE controls them.By the way, you did a great job heathermv, welcome to the site.

I think you need to replace husband with "pool boy" and then it might make more sense.
                  Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

Comment

Quoth Crow The Robot

Thanks! Hello to you as well. I am really enjoying this site!

Unfortunately, in this particular job, I HAD to find ways to difuse situations like this one. There were a lot of them. Talk about people who believe they are entitled to something - deal with these members of this roadside assistance company! They are some high and mighty seeming people. It's like, "Yes, I know you pay for this service, but so do nearly 48 million other people in the U.S." (that's about how many people belong to this club!)

I've only hung up on one guy once and that is an absolute no-no at this company. I had been there about a year before I finally got one that I was just not going to be abused by! They did not pay me enough for this moron.

Setup: My particular call center handled roadside calls for 8 states. Sometimes, for some reason, if it is the cell phone towers or what - calls in a certain state that was not in our territory would come through in our center. They were always cell phones. I chalked it up to towers messing the signal up or something. Most people understood this situation and I would politely inform them that I was unable to help them but I could transfer them to someone who could....everyone understood but this one jerk:

SC: Yeah, my car died and I need a tow truck.

I get the pertinent information, name, cell number (I notice it is an out of our territory area code, but he could be traveling in our area) - everything was okay so far. Then I asked for his location.

SC: I'm on {nameless hwy in a state bordering on our territory but not servicable by us}

ME: Oh sir, I'm sorry, you're just outside of our territory. I will be happy to transfer you to the club that can help you.

SC: WHAT THE F*&^ EVERY F*&%*^ TIME I CALL YOU MOTHER*&#^@#$ YOU &@$%^ TELL ME I F&@^$* HAVE THE WRONG F&(%^@ CLUB! WTF?

ME: (maintaining politeness) Sir, I apologize, but for some reason cell phones in your ar....(couldn't finish)

SC: OH! IT'S MY F(^&#$# PHONES FAULT? THAT'S F*&#(*^% STUPID! JUST F(*^(*^ TRANSFER ME THE RIGHT F(*(@%# CLUB!

ME: Sir, I will be happy to, but please do not speak to me that way.

SC: F*&# OFF!!!!

ME: (ever so politely) Thank you for calling ________. *click*

Comment

Working...
                    X