This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you mean you cant take this check

so made a late night trip to wal-mart with some friends lastnight since i was off work, while in line to check out this guy ahead of us wanted to pay for his items using a check.

Ok no big deal usualy, but the check didnt have his name on it and the adress on the check didnt match the adress on his DL, the cashier calls over the CSM and explains the situation and the CSM refuses to accept the check. He kept insiting that it was his wifes checks and his name is on the account at the bank. The CSM still refuses to take the check, and says that she told him earlier that they cant accept checks like that.

So the SC starts yelling and screaming at the two women saying this is bs and "every other place takes it" so after some more yelling and screaming and swearing he says hes never shopping there again and that hes going to the other 24hr walmart at the other end of town and they will take his check.

i told the cashier that that guy was a moron to think that a retalier would accept a check without that persons name being on it. and whished her a good nioght.

Honestly I've never had a man try to use his "wife's" checks without his name on it, but I've had women try to used their "husbands" checks. Onetime this woman even wrote "Mrs" in front of his name and said "Now my name's on the check!"
    Mon aƩroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

Comment

If his name REALLY is on the account, then why in Gord's name would it not be printed on the check? The guy was pulling a scam.

Comment

Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. But why would he gripe about it, just go to the bank and write a check to cash and get the money yourself. (If you're really on the account)

I have checks with my name on them only, however my mother can write checks out of my account on them if she wanted to. No she don't live with me, it's because she really is on my account.

Yes, I can trust my mother not to steal from me. It's easier than trying to deal with lawyers/state/bank when (hopefully if) something happens. She has instant access to my money to deal with whatever needs to be dealt with if I'm not able to.
        I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I can sign my parent's checks but my name is not on the checks. But if I tried to use them and the CSR refused to take them because my name wasn't on them I wouldn't throw a fit - I would use another form of payment.
          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind
            Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. But why would he gripe about it, just go to the bank and write a check to cash and get the money yourself. (If you're really on the account)

I have checks with my name on them only, however my mother can write checks out of my account on them if she wanted to. No she don't live with me, it's because she really is on my account.

Yes, I can trust my mother not to steal from me. It's easier than trying to deal with lawyers/state/bank when (hopefully if) something happens. She has instant access to my money to deal with whatever needs to be dealt with if I'm not able to.
            Exactly. And the bank would know if you were on the account or not. The extreme reaction just screams scam to me.

Comment

When I got my very first checking account I was so frustrated at those stupid "starter" checks they give you b/c NO ONE will take them. And of course, never having a checking account, I didn't know this. I was so mad at the bank for giving me these "useless" checks. I mean seriously - NO ONE would take them for anything - why do they give you those checks at all???

I always loved playing w/ people in drive-thru when they would hand me their "wife's card"...... so your name is Susan, sir?? I usually didn't really care though and just let it go..... prob. should have asked to see some kind of license or something so I could verify the last name was the same at least - but they were using the card to pay for like maybe $4.00 for coffee so I figured someone else could catch them when they spent money on some big items (if it wasn't their card)....

Comment

Our debit cards are suppose to work as credit cards too, but my husband's card has never worked when someone has tried to run it as a credit card.

When we got new ones to replace the expired ones, the same thing happened with my husband's card. So, he uses mine when he has to make a credit card transaction. He has never had a problem using a card with "Diana" on it. I told him that maybe people think he looks like a "Diana".
                Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth air914 View Post
                  ...NO ONE would take them for anything - why do they give you those checks at all???...
                  You can use them to pay utility bills by mail as well as mail order items. A utility company already has your name, address, etc and mail order won't ship until the check clears. They are useless in person though.
                  Mon aƩroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

Comment

Personally, I find the fact that so many places even still take cheques absolutely nuts. So many of them bounce so why even bother?

Stick with debit cards, credit cards and cash for god's sake. When we, as cashiers have to go through so much hassle to take them and you have to go through so much hassle to cash them and chase after those that bounce, why even bother?

I can't help but think that so many businesses would be so much better off if the policy of taking cheques was stopped.
                    The customer is always right until I decide he isn't.

Comment

My b/f and I were at BestBuy one time, and I had placed an online order for pickup, and while we were there, he found some things he wanted, but didn't have the cash for. So while I'm standing in line at CS he goes to the regular registers to cash out. No one questioned him at all about the card. It made me kind of nervous, especially since I sign and write See ID on my cards. Had they checked ID they would have seen that his name does not match mine in any way.
                      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

One good use for checks (or checques): My parents do not like carrying cash, but every once in a while I need to give them a large amout of money, or they want to give me a large amount. To my Mom, anything over $20 is a large amount. Checks work quite well for transferring funds between family members.

I pay most of my bills online, but my mortgage company wants to charge $12.50 for the "convenience" of an online payment. They get a check each month.

<shrug>
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                          I pay most of my bills online, but my mortgage company wants to charge $12.50 for the "convenience" of an online payment. They get a check each month.

<shrug>
                          And I wish my credit card company would stop running my checks through as online payments. It messes up my accounting.

Comment

I hates checks

I'm the one who processes the bad checks. Some people just make bookkeeping errors, but most people who write bad checks do it with full intention to steal.

I'm so evil that I gloat when I get a notice from a DA that I've filed enough complaints that there is a bench warrent out for the scammer.

Comment

Working...
                            X