This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiot customer causes explosion

This happened to a member of my husband's family last week and details are still sketchy. His uncle owns a garage and had a old guy coming in to have fuel tank of his 1970s truck replaced b/c it was rusting through. Old guy was informed to bring it in as close to empty as possible (makes sense right, since they're replacing fuel tank). They bring the truck on the lift and as its going up, the tank ruptures and the FULL tank of gas sprays across the room and catches a pilot light (or something, I'd have to verify what it was with my hubby) and causes a huge explosion. Luckily, everyone got out ok and the firedoors contained most of the damage, but the crappy old customer was last seen running down the street, when he realized it was because he didn't listen to instructions.
    "If all else fails...blame the dog"

Ok, I don't even know what to say to that other than Wow.

Just wow.

Comment

Oh wow, just wow. I've read all sorts of things on here but this takes the cake.
      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Um, wow.

I know the first thing *I* think of when I need a new fuel tank is "better make sure the old one is nice and full"....

WTF?

Comment

Directions are given for a reason!
          Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

I'm not a professional mechanic but I'd put a syphon hose down the fill neck and pump it dry before I tried to remove it and certainly have a fire extingisher handy. Lots of time you have to cut those mounting straps or the bolts holding them in.
            Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
              I'm not a professional mechanic but I'd put a syphon hose down the fill neck and pump it dry before I tried to remove it and certainly have a fire extingisher handy. Lots of time you have to cut those mounting straps or the bolts holding them in.
              That's what I was thinking--even if the tank was full couldn't you siphon out the remaining gas into a container or something?
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth IlovemyGeek View Post
                Old guy was informed to bring it in as close to empty as possible (makes sense right, since they're replacing fuel tank). They bring the truck on the lift and as its going up, the tank ruptures and the FULL tank of gas sprays across the room and catches a pilot light (or something, I'd have to verify what it was with my hubby) and causes a huge explosion.
                Good grief, that's even stupider than the moron in this thread: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=13104

The DMV ought to issue IQ tests before you can get a driver's license or buy a car.

The mechanics probably could've siphoned out the gasoline, but would they have had a container (or several) large enough to hold 12-20 or more gallons?
                Last edited by XCashier; 06-26-2007, 09:39 PM.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I'm not surprised. GM has a campaign on some SUV's to replace a wiring harness that's part of the fuel level sensor. It's not an urgent repair, so the service writers tell the customer to come in when it gets below a quarter tank. Most of them bring it in with at LEAST half a tank, if not full. No one listens. And then they have the nerve to bitch about it if they think some of the gas isn't there when they pick it up. Hello? You were told.
                  I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

WTH?????

Did somebody put industrial-grade stupid in the water today? That's the second post in a row I've read pertaining to a moron and gasoline.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I can see why it wasnt syphoned first, because they where going to lift it first and it ruptured before they could.

Moron!! he should have been injured or worst.

Comment

Both times I had to have fuel pumps replaced on my trucks, the gas tanks had been filled the day before. The first time, the pump failed as I was pulling out of the gas station. I barely made it the 3 blocks home. There was no way I would have been able to burn off any of the 20 gallons of fuel it was carrying.

But, I did let them know the tanks had just been filled, both times I had them in the shop. And, they were returned with full tanks.
                        That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Are people so stupid that they don't understand how dangerous gasoline can be? This really irks me.
                          For the most part, I don't care about what everyone else is doing, or what is popular.
                          -Namie Amuro (Japanese singer)

Comment

Sounds like an unfortunate accident. The customer should have listened to instructions better, and the mechanic who put the vehicle on the lift should have taken better safety precautions prior to putting the truck on the lift.
                            If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
                            www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

I hope the business takes that moron to court for the damage he caused.

Comment

Working...
                              X