This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Yup." <insert witchy nod here>

I am currently visiting Quebec City (it's beautiful and I highly recommend it as a vacation spot!). My mom and I went into an ice cream shop (with DELICIOUSLY creamy soft serve) a few minutes ago and I witnessed something I used to witness all the time in my Kroger days and it really ticked me off. The exchange rate here is 1.13 CAD for every 1 USD, so things here are a bit more expensive (also thanks to the fact that this is a tourist hot spot). My mom and I had just walked into the store when I heard a woman (while holding the ice cream that she had just purchased and doing that assertive/"I have a point to make" semi-lean over the counter) say, "This is much more expensive than in America. Yup." *nods* "Uh-Huh. Much more expensive than in America." *walks off*

She had said it all in a tone that sounded like she expected the girl to just wave her hand and bring the price down. I have a few issues with this lady.

1) Lady, you are on vacation. When have you EVER been to a vacation spot that wasn't more expensive than your hometown (especially in a foreign country)?
    2) She doesn't CARE how expensive the ice cream is here compared to the States. And if she did, she couldn't change it. Quit trying to make her feel guilty (which won't work) for having a job. Feeling like you're being ripped off is your own fault. And by the way . . .
    3) Why the did you buy the ice cream if you thought it was too expensive? Must not have been too bad for ya!

I laughed with the girl and her co-worker about the situation while they made my wonderfully creamy strawberry soft-serve ice cream cone. I wanted her to know that not all Americans are wound that tight!
    Last edited by kerrisan; 08-02-2006, 02:22 AM.
    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

yeah really
    not entirely the same but i work at a movie theater so its VERY expensive but i've given up caring or feeling guilty, people who live here have PLENTY of money to spend on the food here and most of them are so much stupider then us employees i no longer feel bad at all!

Comment

Hell, I was just happy to finally be able to use my Canadian quarters in a pop machine. It was one of the goals in my life. I like Canada - it's a great place to hang out, goof off and see the ocean.

Anybody who goes to another country and then starts comparing the differences, loudly and insultingly, needs to be thwacked upside the head and tossed out.
      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Cia
        Hell, I was just happy to finally be able to use my Canadian quarters in a pop machine. It was one of the goals in my life.
        In Canada, right? Please? Not the US, right? Just speaking as someone who picks out the Canadian coins that jammed his machines. And the plastic knives that someone things will magically give him credits, or the tickets, or the receipts, or the washers... And who was the idiot that put gum down the goal on the air hockey?

I don't mind the people who stick euro coins in the quarter slots, however. They work, if you're lucky, and don't gum up the works. Granted, I have no clue why you would want to do that-- it's one of the worst exchange rates you can get-- but hey, it looks cool to see the copper splatch in the middle of the silver.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn
          I don't mind the people who stick euro coins in the quarter slots, however. They work, if you're lucky, and don't gum up the works. Granted, I have no clue why you would want to do that-- it's one of the worst exchange rates you can get-- but hey, it looks cool to see the copper splatch in the middle of the silver.
          Especially since a euro coin with a different metal in the middle is a one or two euro coin. So not only the exchange rate pretty bad, a quarter isn't anywhere close to the value. When I was in Spain a couple weeks ago, a Euro was worth $1.30 (at least it's better than the pound exchange rate, a british pound is $1.80).

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn
            In Canada, right? Please? Not the US, right? .
            Well, yeah. Can't use Canadian quarters in any US machines, took them long enough just to be able to use a Weggie (Sacajawea) dollar coin in the machines, but you can use US quarters in Canadian machines.
            Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth kerrisan
              1) Lady, you are on vacation. When have you EVER been to a vacation spot that wasn't more expensive than your hometown (especially in a foreign country)?
              The best thing about living in the most expensive city in the world is that virtually everywhere else you go is cheaper (except Tokyo). When I went out to Finland for the first time, everyone told me how expensive Helsinki is, and how much beer cost...its cheaper than central London !

That's why so many Brits like to go to America for their holidays - with the strength of the pound against the dollar, almost anywhere in the US is a pretty cheap vacation.
              A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
              - Dave Barry

Comment

mm, creamy soft serve...*drools*

a vacation where things actually cost more? perish the thought. she should try going to hawaii or guam, then she'd have reason to complain.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl
                  That's why so many Brits like to go to America for their holidays - with the strength of the pound against the dollar, almost anywhere in the US is a pretty cheap vacation.
                  AAAAAAAHHHHHH! So THAT explains it. And I second whoever-it-was that said they think Brits are the best kind of tourist to have visit your job.
                  ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                  And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Hmm, I've been thinking the next country I want to visit is either Britain or India (the latter for mission work or something) . . . guess the exchange rate would NOT be in my favor!
                    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

I pity the poor exchange clerk who has to change her spare Canadian money back into USD at the end of her vacation.

"I gave you 150 dollars and you only gave me 133 back!"
                      "Er...that's because the exchange rate is -"
                      "I WANT TO SEE YOUR MANAGER!"

Comment

Quebec City is indeed a beautiful city. Raps, Ree, TA and I all really enjoyed our time there in February. I bet it is even better when it's not -30 C outside

As to the woman complaining, as a Canadian currently visiting the U.S. She may have a point, and what I mean by that is, it's probably the taxes that surprised her. An additional 14-15% on top of the indicated price can be hard to get use to at first. O.k. honestly it's hard to take when you are use to it, too. However, as you pointed out, being an ass to the lowly ice cream server accomplishes nothing but re-enforcing the stereotype of the "typical American tourist". I'm glad that you were next in line to correct that impression.

As a word of advice to tourists visiting Canada. You can pick up a little form in customs so that you can claim back at least a portion of the taxes. So save your reciepts folks.
                        "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

Even I felt the cold over there. I also saw many young chaps wandering around with big red horns. A local custom, I believe. They were even blowing them!

They make some tasty caribou pie, though.

Rapscallion

Comment

Yeah, a woman my mom works with told her about a place in Quebec that serves caribou steaks. I voted against it; being a Texan in Quebec was culture shock enough for that particular trip.

Comment

Working...
                            X