This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioning Gives Customer A Cold

Yesterday, a customer requested a tissue and I handed her a roll of paper towels since I didn't have any tissues available which the customer was OK with. She explained that she was getting a cold because of the air conditioning. She even mentioned that she wears a sweater at work and that one of her coworkers at work had a heater on--in air conditioning. I mentioned to the customer that I didn't notice it was cold and that then again I wouldn't. For some reason, I tend to heat easily even when standing still. It's like I'm not even affected by how cold the store actually is.
    My Fanfic Page
    My Fiction Page
    My Social Group
    My Pet Social Group
    My You Tube Channel

I dont understand how people can complain about a business being cold when it's 100+ degrees outside. I'd much rather be cold than hot.

When you're cold, you can always put on a sweater, when you're hot you can only take off so much before you get arrested for indecent exposure.

Comment

I'm one of those people who is always hot. No matter what, I'd always like it cooler. That is, unless I'm outside in the winter in frigid subzero temperatures and, even then, I don't wear a coat.

In fact, in stores, I get worse. I have what I call store claustrophobia. I'm the sort of person who likes to get in and out and I race through my business there while trying not to panic if people intercept me or cause delays. When I'm in a store, even if it's frigid, I start sweating. Gah!
      "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

I get something similar to store claustrophobia, but it's more of an agoraphobia (or whatever fear of crowds is called). I always get a panicky feeling whenever I'm in a crowd, not good especially when holidays came around. That's one reason I prefered working on carts, backroom or overnight stocking.

As far as the stores being cold goes, I prefer a cold store than a hot one. It cuts back on the number of sweaty smelly customers, not by much but it helps.
        "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

RB needs glasses... LOL... I thought the subject heading was "Air Conditioning gives customer a child"

LOL. As for the actual OP... You don't get a cold from how cold it is... It's a virus dammit. Your nose may run if you go from frigid temps to warm air. Not the other way around...

Comment

RB needs glasses... LOL... I thought the subject heading was "Air Conditioning gives customer a child"
            Depends what they are doing in that air conditioning
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'm also one of those people who are always hot. I can't stand it when people crank up the heat when I'm sweating to death- they can always put on a sweater, but what am I supposed to do?

On a side note though- my friend's daughter has similiar issues whenever the AC is on. If she's subjected to AC on a frequent enough basis, she gets a runny nose. But it's not a cold! You can't catch a cold from being cold (duh). We think she just has really sensitive sinuses.

Comment

Quoth Retail's Bitch
                I suppose that would be one way to heat yourself up at work...

I usually prefer it to be colder at work, for several reasons:

1) As Ringtail said, it cuts down on people who are hot, sweaty, and gross.
                2) It cuts down on ME being hot, sweaty and gross.
                3) My first job was working at an A&W. Several times in the summer, the air conditioning would freeze up, choke and die. Naturally, this happened on the hottest days of the year. And when you're stuck inside, on the hottest day of the year, with no A/C, over a fiery grill, it REALLY NOT FUN! We would even take tempature readings: it was about 34 degrees (Celcius) outside, 36 in the back by the sink, and 41 up by the grill and deep frier. God, those days sucked...
                I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Unless it's as cold as the Ed Sullivan Theater infamously is, I think I'd prefer it to the insane heat out there.
                  Desk-On: Apply directly to the forehead.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh
                    Depends what they are doing in that air conditioning
                    Gotta stay warm somehow.

Comment

It's unlikely the AC gave a person the cold virus. Pnemonia I can see.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

My nose runs when it's extremely cold or in airconditioning, but as others have said, it's not a cold. It's a physical reaction to temperature.

Colds are cased by a virus. If the filters on the AC unit are dirty, then it's possible it realeased a virus of some kind into the air, but I doubt it would come on that quickly.
                        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Erin View Post
                          When you're cold, you can always put on a sweater, when you're hot you can only take off so much before you get arrested for indecent exposure.
                          That's what I always say!!!!!!!!
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

being cold in the winter at my old telemarketing job was the reason why I brought so many crochet projects with me to work on. (loved that I was allowed to crochet while talking to a-hole callers...crocheting kept me sane!)

The production floor at that telemarketing job was freezing in the wintertime. I was constantly crocheting afghans just so I could have a blanket on my lap.

Too bad I didnt figure out how to crochet clothing until just recently...being able to crochet a sweater to wear on the floor would have come in handy then.

Comment

I came onto the shopfloor the other day. Bear in mind its the middle of summer and its been above 24 degrees here for the last few weeks, not something we are used to in South Yorkshire. I found the following: The air con was switched off. My co-worker has a FLEECE on (we have fleeces with corporate logo). The shop floor is at about 28 degrees! I had a shirt on, with the top button undone, not tucked in. AND I was sweating. AND i had been in the air conditioned office for 2 hours.

Why the hell he hadnt died with that fleece on i will never know. I sometimes think he is cold-blooded. Anyway, i told him if he was cold he cant be working hard enough. I turned the AC back on and told him to get some work done. I am the assistant manager and I HATE people meddling with the AC.

Comment

Working...
                              X