X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquids and Laptop = No Problem

Back Story:
    This customer brought in a laptop that he had spilled coke on to have the keyboard cleaned. The original complain was JUST that the keys were sticky and the buttons on the touchpad stuck. So we gave they keyboard and touchpad assembly an acetone bath and cleaned them. Fast forward 3 months later and he brought his unit back in because, apparently, we hadn't cleaned all the dust (which probably accumulated over the course of the 3 months) and that different problems were occuring with his computer. We sent the laptop in to our repair depot per the request of our customer. During the course of their diagnostic and estimation they, of course, found liquid spill damage which voided his extended warranty. This meant that he would have to pay $1300 out of his own pocket to fix a $1600 computer. But, hey, he voided his warranty through his own stupidity so it is fault...of course not.

Fast Forward:
    It's been a few weeks and the technician working on it has called him several times to inform him of the fact that his warranty is now void and he will have to pay for it if he wants to get it fixed. He finally decides to call us back and I get to field his call.

I'm going to skip the beginning parts of the conversation and get to the "Sucky" part.

Me: Basically what the repair depot is saying is that they found spill damage and that is not covered by the warranty you purchased. Had you gone with the Platinum plan you would have been fine.

Him: That's ridiculous, you expect me to pay $1300 dollars for a laptop that costs only $300 dollars more?

Me: It is out of our hands. They have found spill damage and you admitted that you had spilled liquid on it before. So, unfortunately that voids your warranty because that is what is most likely causing your system to malfunction.

Him: But I only brought it in to get the keyboard cleaned. The coke did not break anything else.

Me: Maybe you didn't notice the other problems before because your keyboard wasn't working and you couldn't even access your computer. Usually liquid damages are very apparent from the get-go...other times it can be delayed or not so obvious.

Him: But, when I brought it in the only problem was that the keys were sticking.

Me: It's a chicken or the egg problem right now. They have no way of knowing if the problems occured after the spill or before it. But the mere fact that there is evidence that liquid has been spilled on the system board VOIDs your warranty.

Him: Look, I have been working on computers for FOUR YEARS and assembled some myself. I know, there IS no possible way that liquids can damage a computer like that. I want to talk to a manager because this is your fault and I shouldn't have to pay for it. It was fine when I brought it in the first time.

Me: I'll have him give you a call tomorrow.

Yeah buddy, because there is no way liquids can get under a keyboard and get onto the system board. Maybe you have pieced computers together for four years...but those were probably desktops and not notebooks. If you spill on a desktop keyboard it probably won't screw your entire system...but this is a LAPTOP. 4 years? I've been working with computers for over 12 years and am a Software Engineer.....so I doubt you know more than me with your measily 4 years. Hopefully my manager tells him to f off.

I was originally going to say he's an idiot for thinking that liquids can't cause damage to his computer. But he added "like that" so he might have meant that liquids can't damage the computer in a way that would cause the problems he is seeing.

Admittedly, I doubt the issue was caused by the spill. 3 months is a long time for the effects of liquid damage to be hidden. But that doesn't negate the fact that his warranty is void.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
      Admittedly, I doubt the issue was caused by the spill. 3 months is a long time for the effects of liquid damage to be hidden. But that doesn't negate the fact that his warranty is void.
      Although dust + sticky residue can cause problems down the line, especially in the cramped confines of a laptop.
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
        Although dust + sticky residue can cause problems down the line, especially in the cramped confines of a laptop.
        The liquid might not have caused the problem, but I'm sure it contributed to it. Liquid by itself isn't as bad...as when it's been allowed to sit awhile, and turn nasty. Throw in various dust and other particles (crumbs, for example), and you have a recipe for disaster. All of that crap turns solid and jams up the keys.

He might have been safe if he had a regular (desktop) keyboard. Many brands have a solid top to help prevent spill damage.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I have to clarify, during the three months he claimed to have problems but it was still somewhat operational. So, it wasn't completely problem free for the three months. Eitherway, the mere fact that he spilled something on his computer voided his warranty. Unfortunately him crying to us won't change the policies and contract written up by his warranty provider.

Comment

Disagree

Quoth trunks2k View Post
            Coke, Orange pop and other high sugar drinks if not cleaned off complete can dry up in a low humidity environment, but the moment it gets humid they will suck the moisture out of the air and turn liquid (at-least gummy) again and start eating at your PCB. Additionally, citrus fruit based pops have citrus acid in them to help eat at the board. I have replace by hand trace lines damaged by old pop and sometimes the problem does not appear until months after the spill. But I had to clean of the gummy mess first so I know that is where the problem was.

Comment

You CAN clean a laptop keyboard?? I didn't think that was possible... is it something you have to take to a repair shop to do, or can you do it yourself? I don't have anything sticky, but there is dust and junk underneath my keyboard that I'd love to get rid of.........ooh it's an IBM laptop if that helps.....

Comment

Quoth air914 View Post
                You CAN clean a laptop keyboard?? I didn't think that was possible... is it something you have to take to a repair shop to do, or can you do it yourself? I don't have anything sticky, but there is dust and junk underneath my keyboard that I'd love to get rid of.........ooh it's an IBM laptop if that helps.....
                Use acetone (basically nail polish remover) and dip it and clean the contacts, keys, etc. Just make sure it's completely dried before plugging it in.

Comment

My bf spilled coffee on my laptop keyboard a few years ago, but luckily we caught it before it got underneath the keyboard. Since my warranty had expired, I tried to find a way to clean it through the Gateway technicians online chat. I asked them if I could clean it like a normal keyboard, just washing it with water, letting it dry, and plugging it back in, and they were like Oh no, that would damage the computer further to pour water on it!

Clearly. But that wasn't quite what I meant. And when I clarified, he didn't say whether the keyboard could be cleaned. I ended up buying a keyboard off of ebay to replace the icky coffee one, and besides the tab key not working, no other issues with it.

But now I know I can clean the keyboard... and my bf isn't allowed near my electronics (it wasn't the last thing he ruined of mine...)
                  Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                  Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                  The Office

Comment

And. be very VERY carefull, for most laptop keyboards they're held together by the metal sheet in the lower part. the rest is flimsy FLIMSY plastic. if you EVER remove the sheet from the keyboard to service it, you will need a LOT of pulse, a steady hand, if possible a controlled torque screwdriver for reassembly (too expensive and I am not sure it's findable for such small works). And wathever you do, don't use pressured cleaners that go cold when expelled from the can. i had a compaq laptop keyboard base break in 20 pieces on me for using forane.

P.s. he spilled something sticky on the thing, it accumulated dust too, and it got progressively worse? My bet is among other things he surely busted the cooling fans in the laptop. many models have them very near the surface of the machine, and if you lose that, your laptop's days are counted.
                    I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth volatile View Post
                      Use acetone (basically nail polish remover) and dip it and clean the contacts, keys, etc. Just make sure it's completely dried before plugging it in.
                      Don't keep any here . . . my nail polish remover is non-acetone due to the fact that acetone will eat away at acrylic nails.

Oh well, one can wear gloves when handling acetone. Problem solved.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                        Don't keep any here . . . my nail polish remover is non-acetone due to the fact that acetone will eat away at acrylic nails.

Oh well, one can wear gloves when handling acetone. Problem solved.
                        haha, sorry. i'm not too familiar with nail polishes. my nails do need some work though.

Comment

Quoth volatile View Post
                          haha, sorry. i'm not too familiar with nail polishes. my nails do need some work though.
                          The nail salon is my third home, after here and work. I'm in there at least once every 2-3 weeks for a fill-in and polish.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I've never even been to one LOL
                            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                            X