This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethics Question for all Copy Shop Employees

Hey you copy shop workers (or former workers!)
    I have an interesting question for you:
    Here's a situation: Customer walks up to your counter, holding an original that he wants copied. Let's say a banner or poster. Now, let's also say that there is a big spelling/grammatical error on the original.
    Question: Would you tell the customer that the poster or banner had this glaring mistake on it?
    I know it's not your job to do so...you did not typeset it, you have no control over what they bring in. It's not your concern...but would you tell the customer that it was wrong?

I think, if the customer was nice, I would ask if they meant for the spelling/grammar to be that way (maybe it was supposed to be funny?)...but if the customer was rude or in a freakin' hurry, I would keep my mouth shut.

What say you, folks? Have you been in this situation before? What did you do? What did the customer do?
    I no longer fear HELL.
    I work in RETAIL.

Never been a worker in a copy shop, but in my adventure to rid the world of bad spelling, I would probably point out the error, and double check to make sure they meant it that way...
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I would point it out. Then, if they disagreed or still wanted me to print it for some other reason, they had better pay first!

Comment

Well, I have been in that situation, and I have almost always pointed it out to them. There were a couple of jerks that came in and were jerks from the get go, and sometimes I let their errors go (simply because I figured they wouldn't want to be corrected by a stupid person, you know .) But for the most part, the majority of Kinko's customers were allright folks. And we genuinely did want them happy with their jobs.

Not only that, but if we just went ahead and asked them if they wanted a chance to correct the error, it would stave off the inevitable argument about whether or not we were obligated to re-run their corrected job gratis later.

Comment

Quoth Mango View Post
          I would point it out. Then, if they disagreed or still wanted me to print it for some other reason, they had better pay first!
          definitely agree with that one, prepay for any obviously incorrect banners that way they won't just refuse to pay and go somewhere else for the corrected version
          DILLIGAF

Comment

It would depend on how much I liked my job and how rude/polite the person was.

Usually doing little things like that will build up a stores rep, which is good for the business, and hopefully they will recognise good service and the company will reward you.
            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

This didn't really happen often when i worked in the copy department at my job. For say, business cards, letterheads, envelopes, I would correct the spelling or punctuation error, for example 'Aveneu' --> Avenue. Names, phone/fax numbers, email addies I generally left alone.

Policy is that once the customer completes the order they are to proofread it THEMSELVES one last time before signing the order form and paying. This way if there was any typos, it was the customer's fault and would have to pay for a second order....

Apologies for going kinda here, but of course we want our customers to be happy and not bitch at US for receiving a wrong order... So (at my store at least) they RARELY pay for a redo that was their own fault. The mistake gets tagged as 'store error,' thus chipping away at OUR profits: The customer gets a full or partial refund, depending on the situation, and a correct order at no/little cost to them. At least we wouldn't let the customer keep the wrong order. A few cards or envelopes if they were absolutely out, but NO full boxes.

BUT we still had to pay the vendor. It ticked me off to no end. The copy department's numbers were in the toilet while all the other departments did fine.

Comment

Warning them is a no-brainer for me, but then I'm good with spieling [sic].

Remembering to make them pay in advance for something questionable, now, that they didn't teach in school--good for you.

I sympathize with being tempted to make exceptions to the warnings for SCs, though--reminds me how I used to usually point out to businesses that I was undercharged, but wouldn't do so if I had a poor experience there. (As I got older I found I tend to point this out less, especially if I'm a regular, on the assumption that I deserve a volume discount over time or that I'll eventually have a bad experience.)
                I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

I'd point out the problem, especially for rude and arrogant customers. It would be a great opportunity to say, "Wow, you're an illiterate bozo," without coming right out and using that exact phrase. A pleasantly humbling experience nonetheless.

Besides, you know if they're that annoying when placing their order, just wait until someone else points out the bad news to them. They'll be back to the store, "You let me do this," blah, blah, blah.
                  I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                    Never been a worker in a copy shop, but in my adventure to rid the world of bad spelling, I would probably point out the error, and double check to make sure they meant it that way...
                    I'm glad i'm not the only one on a crusade for correct spelling and grammar!
                    "Those who do not complain are never pitied." - Jane Austen.

Comment

Well I'd point out the error and then let them make the decision of whether or not to go ahead and run the order.

Although once for a really nice customer of mine I actually took it over to the rent-a-computer, scanned it in, made the correction, asked them if they were ok with the correction, then ran it for them at no charge above and beyond the full color copies.

But then again this guy was always nice, brought in at least 3 large print jobs a week, and just had a pleasant manner.

Mongo
                      I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

I have to deal with photocopying queries on an almost daily basis, as the photocopiers are right by the issue desk.

Over time I've got to the point where if someone asks, I'll point out the errors, but if not, I won't. There's just not enough time to correct everyone's work, and experience has taught me that most people get quite defensive if we do tell them.

*Shrugs* Dunno if that's useful, but it works for me.
                        Me non rogo, hic modo laboro.

Comment

If I notice the error then yes I tell the customer about it. Most customers are very thankful when you catch a error. But then again I deal with a different type of client. well over 50% of my clients I have had for a minimum of 4 years. I have some clients who are secretaries at law firms who have left one firm and gone to another firm and make the new firm start to use us.

But to answer your question, normally a simple "mmm that spelling doesn't look right to me, let me double check that for you." does wonders. I have found that if you go the extra step than they love you for life and it makes life that much easier.
                          My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

I'm glad to see that most of the answers have been in favor of helping out the customer.
                            That's really the better way to go, in my opinion. I hate to see spelling errors, especially on professionally printed signs.
                            (in my department, there is a line of clothing for the older, but still 'with it' man. On the advertising vendor tag, it has a line about how 'we have the finnest styles'. I'm pretty sure they mean 'finest'...unless they're talking about fish...)
                            I really wish some copyshop employee had pointed out the error to them...
                            I no longer fear HELL.
                            I work in RETAIL.

Comment

On the topic of helping a customer to break the law:

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/no...ffn/ffn044.htm

And on the possible ramifications:

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/no...ffn/ffn045.htm

Not to be taken too seriously, though...
                              You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Working...
                              X