This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy maggot lady (warning, LONG)

So back in November, I get a call from the manager of an out-of-state store. She told me that someone had brought half of a pizza back complaining that there was a bug in it. According to the manager (who is very trusted and reliable), the bug was still moving when she saw the pizza.

Background: All of the food Domino's serves is precooked. One could safely eat sausage or chicken right out of the bag. After the pizza or wings are assembled, its cooked again and comes out of the oven at about 600 degrees. The pizza is then cut and put into a box and then into a heated bag for delivery.

If a bug were to happen to land in the pizza after it came out of the oven and before it was boxed, there is NO way that it would still be moving after the pizza was delivered and half consumed.

So, anyhow...the manager wrote up the report and sent the offending item to the lab. She also gave CML a coupon for a free pizza and faxed all the documentation to me. The lab report said that the bug was an adult insect and not a maggot.

The next day, I got a call from Corporate asking what had happened and I told them what the manager had said and faxed them the info. At that time, there was only 1 maggot on the pizza and CML wanted to settle without lawsuits. She wanted $5000. Corporate told her to call me. My boss is a Franchisee.

A week later, CML called me. Her story had changed (big surprise, this). The pizza had been covered with maggots and our manager had been rude and called her bad names. She thought they deserved at least $10,000 for the experience and if I didn't cut a check right away, she was going to get a LAWYER.

That was the magic word, so I told her that now that LAWYERS were going to be involved, I couldn't talk to her anymore and to have her LAWYER call me for our LAWYERS' contact information. Buh bye, now.

A couple of months passed and Corporate called me back. It seems as though CML wouldn't leave them alone. Now, the boyfriend had eaten half of the maggot covered pizza and when their son saw the maggots, boyfriend had spent the night with explosive intestional problems (my wording, she was much more graphic) and the son had delevoped eating disorders because he was afraid of his food. She didn't think that $15-20,000 was an unreasonable amount to ask for the trauma.

The nice Corporate lady told me that they were going to tag CML's account so that her CSR's would give CML my number and not talk to CML any further. I appreciated the warning and thanked her for calling.

A week later, CML called me and told me that she had mental issues (I was so surprised to learn that ) and that the stress had made them worse. She needed me to cut a check for $47,028 right away. At least she had a nice round number this time. I told her to have her lawyer to call me.

About a month later, I got another call from the nice Corporate lady. When she asked me if I had anymore info about *name*, I thought about it for a minute and then asked if that was the CML. Nice lady laughed her butt off for a while and then told me that her file was tagged with "CML, record everything."

Nice lady told me that CML continues to call them and now there were 2 maggot covered pizzas. She wanted my phone log and would fax their phone logs to me. Oh, and now CML wanted $50-80,000 for their emotional issues.

The next week (anyone seeing a pattern here?), CML called me and bitched me out because her LAYWER quit her case because I wouldn't return his calls. I had to put her on hold at this point because I needed to laugh so hard that water came out of my eyes.

CML called me again last month. I told her that I couldn't talk to her due to the LAYWER thing, but I still listened to her rant. Its up to 3 maggot covered pizzas, 5 people who are still suffering from the experience and $180,000 in damages. Plus, she's going to the BBB and the media over this.

I talked to the owner and called CML back the next day. I told CML that the owner was a Franchisee and wasn't Corporate. The owner couldn't possibly pay out that much money without being sued so that his insurance would pay. I explained that she would have to initiate a lawsuit before anyone would consider cutting a check.

She complained that her LAWYER had quit because we didn't return his calls. I told her to get a new LAWYER and that I couldn't cut a check for a dollar without proper authorization.

CML thanked me for explaining the process and wondered if I would send her some coupons for her time. I didn't want her back in our store, she's banned, so I grabbed a $20 bill out of petty cash and sent it to her.

Last Monday, the manager from the store called me laughing about CML. It seems as how she got a maggot covered pizza from the other pizza delivery place and wanted to be unbanned so she can still get food.

CML is still banned.

I called the other place and faxed all the documentation. They have promised to give me updates and documentation back.

My God. What some people won't do when they see dollar signs.

Comment

Anyone else think of a certain Monty Python sketch here?

Easy to Google; here's the last two-thirds or so for brevity (I didn't remove any copyright info):

Edit: Despite shortening it and the disclaimer, I think a link rather than a reproduction of copyrighted material is more appropriate:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/thursday.h...ython/poor.htm
      Last edited by Mixed Bag; 08-07-2006, 09:30 AM.
      I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Quoth erik316wttn View Post
        My God. What some people won't do when they see dollar signs.
        That's just it. I forgot to mention the timing. Corporate gets their phone call the first Friday of the month. I get mine the second Friday of the month. I don't think CML has a mental disorder, she's much too rational and lucid when she calls.

I think she's blown her monthly check on things like delivered pizza in the first week and starts calling all of her vendors demanding money by the second Friday. Some of them cave, so she has enough freebies to last until her next check.

Mixed Bag, I am so cracking up at your post

Comment

So back in November, I get a call from the manager of an out-of-state store. She told me that someone had brought half of a pizza back complaining that there was a bug in it. According to the manager (who is very trusted and reliable), the bug was still moving when she saw the pizza.

Background: All of the food Domino's serves is precooked. One could safely eat sausage or chicken right out of the bag. After the pizza or wings are assembled, its cooked again and comes out of the oven at about 600 degrees. The pizza is then cut and put into a box and then into a heated bag for delivery.

If a bug were to happen to land in the pizza after it came out of the oven and before it was boxed, there is NO way that it would still be moving after the pizza was delivered and half consumed.
          That makes me wonder if CML was trying to pull a "finger in the chili" sort of thing.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Ah...the glories of people who don't have an iota of shame.

I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

This reminded me of a scene from M*A*S*H. The crossdressing clerk Klinger comes up with a new sob story to get out of the army: his mother's dying. His CO checks his record:

"Mother dying last month. Month before that: mother AND father dying. Here's a goodie: mother and father dying, older sister pregnant. Here's an oldie but a goodie: Half of the family dying, other half pregnant."

She complains at YOU because HER lawyer quit??? That woman is beyond pathetic. But why'd you bother sending her the $20? I wouldn't have sent her a penny, waste of a perfectly good envelope.
              Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                That makes me wonder if CML was trying to pull a "finger in the chili" sort of thing.
                Dingdingding!!! You win the prize, LOL!!! CML even supplied her own bug. Probably from her own kitchen

Quoth Severen13
                Ah...the glories of people who don't have an iota of shame.
                Oh dang, I rang the bell too quickly. *rings bell again* I am so tired of dealing with entitlement queens.

Honestly, tho...CML is pretty entertaining, she has so many issues to bring up while I roll my eyes and go "uh, huh" during the rare pauses.

Quoth Talon
                She complains at YOU because HER lawyer quit???
                Not only that, he quit because I wouldn't answer his calls. This is beyond funny, its just screaming I'm serious about this, who knew that lawsuits would be dropped because the defendant wouldn't answer phone calls. That's going to be my defense strategy from now own!!!

But why'd you bother sending her the $20? I wouldn't have sent her a penny, waste of a perfectly good envelope.
                Because she was starting to make my brain hurt and I wanted her to go away. I can only take so much stupidity per day and had reached my limit.

I remember that MASH episode, back when we had a TV, I was a MASH addict
                Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 08-07-2006, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Not only that, he quit because I wouldn't answer his calls. This is beyond funny, its just screaming I'm serious about this, who knew that lawsuits would be dropped because the defendant wouldn't answer phone calls. That's going to be my defense strategy from now own!!!
                  Actually, I think she would be the plaintiff in this case. You didn't answer her lawyer's phone calls, therefore he quit and she must not have hired another one and let it drop, so the case was dismissed.

If you were a defendant in a real court case and you didn't answer calls or show up to court, the judge would automatically rule in favor of the plaintiff.

Just saying this because refusing to answer a plaintiff in a lawsuit is not a good defense strategy.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Talon View Post
                    "Mother dying last month. Month before that: mother AND father dying. Here's a goodie: mother and father dying, older sister pregnant. Here's an oldie but a goodie: Half of the family dying, other half pregnant."
                    Oh boy, good ol' MASH. Gotta love Klinger's antics.

Going back on topic, this lady HAS to be messed in some way. Got nothing better to do? jeez
                    "They have the internet on computers now?"
                    ~Homer Simpson

Another day at work, another broken desk

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      Actually, I think she would be the plaintiff in this case. You didn't answer her lawyer's phone calls, therefore he quit and she must not have hired another one and let it drop, so the case was dismissed.

If you were a defendant in a real court case and you didn't answer calls or show up to court, the judge would automatically rule in favor of the plaintiff.

Just saying this because refusing to answer a plaintiff in a lawsuit is not a good defense strategy.
                      This is what is so funny to me. I never got a call from her lawyer, not once. I answer every single message I get. I'm slave to my phone, it rules my life. I'd NEVER ignore a message from a lawyer. I'd never suggest that anyone ignore calls/letters from legal venues.

I just couldn't imagine that anyone would think that a good lawyer would give up a solid case because nobody answsered their calls. And then use that as an excuse to raise the money bid.

Quoth Whiney assed crybaby
                      My LAWYER quit because you were so mean, I want extra compensation for the trauma

Comment

Every time I delivered a replacement-exchange pizza out to someone who claimed s/he'd found a hair ...

1. The hair was on top of the slice.

2. It was the last slice in the box.

3. The hair was not burnt (as it should if it had gone through a 600+ degree oven).

4. The hair never looked like it came from the bald guy who takes the pizzas out of the oven and boxes them.

I guess it's just one of those mysteries.

Comment

Is there any possibility of the calls having been recorded, so higher ups (if applicable) can note the escalation of the number of icky bugs and monetary settlement?
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

She sounds nutso enough to have simply left a slice of pizza on the counter for months. Call each time she notices more maggots so her "evidence" would support her claim
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I so nominate that one for a WAR STORY
                              Who is this rectal-cranial inverted twit....and where is my sledgehammer??

Comment

Working...
                              X