This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What an evening

This has to do with a crappy manager and a theft, the two events sort of intertwinced, so I put the thread here. Longish, apologies.

Monday nights are always busy. There is a lot of work to do on top of the general customer service, renting movies, etc. Tonight I was working on transferring some retail product back to the distribution center, but taking frequent breaks to ring up customers, answer the phone, help find things.

A man, mid 30s, came up and asked if we had "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" which is still on the new release wall, so I walked him back to where it was. As we were heading back there (big dang store) he asked how many movies he could have out at any one time. I told him 9 after finding out that his account was secured. Gave him his 50 Cent movie and went back to boxing up movies. A few minutes later, our counter crowded with people asking questions, filling out applications, he starts walking up looking like he was ready to go. Instead, as a woman was walking into the store, he bolted right out the door.

I yelled at the manager that we had a runner and I ran to the window to get the license plate number and car information. A few customers even gave us information and offered to stay and act as witnesses. So anyway, the police were called.

Once they finally arrived (40 minutes later) the manager was taken in the back to get the security camera (guy's face was right front and center, great shot of his stupidity), and I'm left alone up front to handle everything. No problem there. Until the manager comes back up front to get the sticky note I had written all the car information on. I'm answering a question when the phone starts ringing. Manager starts walking toward the back again and yells at me "Fenig, GET THE PHONE!" I called back "Just a second!" then apologized to the customers for the volume level in the store.

A few minutes later, manager comes back up tells me that the officer needs me to fill out a statement but before I go he says "Don't you ever yell like that to me in front of customers. I'm serious. I'm your boss." Now, normally, not so bad, but he was being loud, rude, and doing it in front of customers.

I go back, fill out my statement, then take my lunch. I'm home now purely because while on my lunch I called the ASM (SM on vacation) and told her what was going on. She got coverage for my shift and sent me home. If it were just tonight, I would have been fine, but he's condescending to me every night. I'll ask him if he wants me to run the movies on the cart or if he has something more important that needs to be done. I do this with all the managers because we've had so much going on lately. It's a courtesy so that they know what I'm doing and what's getting done. He takes it that I don't know how to do my job so later when he asks me to do something he adds "Do you think you can handle that?" in a nasty tone to the end of any request.

I can take condescension, but only for so long.
    Last edited by FenigDurak; 08-08-2006, 03:44 AM.

Geez, that manager sounds like a jerk. It's great that the ASM let you go home. I hope the cops catch the runner.

Comment

I also hope the shoplifter gets caught. Also, the manager needs to learn that he needs to set a good example for the other employees.
      My Fanfic Page
      My Fiction Page
      My Social Group
      My Pet Social Group
      My You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
      X