Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sightings

Closed Thread

WOO-WOO Boy
Old 08-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Preschool Teacher

Default WOO-WOO Boy

I was at the grocery store the other day, standing in Frozen Foods, and heard what sounded like a really high-pitched train horn. It got louder . . . and louder . . . and then I saw the source: a little boy riding on the front (I kid you not!) of the mom's cart and pretending to be a train. That's very cute and I will be the first to condone creativity (especially when it keeps kids out of danger/trouble), but this was just annoying. Mom was just ignoring it, but everybody around her started getting PISSED, especially when she stopped for bagged broccolli. What was funny was that a tall man with a HUGE beard quietly told the kid to stop, and in his fear he did . . . then he just went "Woooooo . . . wooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! WOOO WOOOOOOOO!!!!!" Just as loud as before. I almost -almost!- went over to the kid to ask him to stop again (maybe Mom would have gotten the picture), but I was finished so I left.

You could seriously hear this kid from the entire food section of the store. Awful.

This goes in line with "Control Your Kids." Parents, don't be afraid to, oh, I don't know . . . parent!

Last edited by kerrisan; 08-08-2006 at 07:26 PM.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:33 PM
tool of bertingshire

Quote:
Quoth Kerrisan
This goes in line with "Control Your Kids." Parents, don't be afraid to, oh, I don't know . . . parent
But, that would be way too much work with the shopping that she has to do! I mean, if there was only a magic stick that could teach everyone how to parent...then stuff like wouldn't happen.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Preschool Teacher

I think alot of parents would rather ignore it than look like the bad guy. I can't remember which comedian it was, but somebody did a bit about parenting in pubilc.

Pardon me while I paraphrase.

Quote:
See, parenting in public always backfires. Everybody always sees the bad stuff and ONLY the bad stuff. Like, you buy your kid a drink:

Kid: But I want a laaaaaaaaarge!
Parent: No, Junior, if you finish the small, we can get you another small.
Kid: Noooooooooo, I want a laaaaaaaaarge!
Parent: Honey, please don't make Daddy angry. Finish the small and if you want another one you can get another one.
Kid: Laaaaaaaaaaarge!

---And then this is the part other people notice:---

Parent: *grabs child by the arms* I SAID YOU'RE NOT GETTIN' A LARGE!!!! YOU CAN'T HAVE A FREAKIN' LARGE!!! NOW DRINK THE SMALL!!!!
I think parents are just afraid of being looked at like the bad guy.

I looooooove the parents who pull the "if you're such a big boy/girl then I'll see you later" trick. The child quickly learns that they are only a CHILD and they need Mommy/Daddy. As long as the parent never takes his/her eyes off the child (without the child knowing, of course ).

Last edited by kerrisan; 08-08-2006 at 07:50 PM.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:06 AM
Cashier

I remember seeing that bit on TV but I forgot who it was.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Urge to kill, rising...

My dad never used to care about being thought of as the bad guy... many was the time he shouted, "If you don't shut up right now, you'll feel the back of my hand!", right in the middle of a busy store. Ah, memories.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Store Manager

My mom wasn't worried about parenting either. Like the time I was about 4 or 5 years old, I ran out in the street in front of a cop with his lights and sirens blazing. Thankfully the cop stopped in time so as not to kill me, but my mom was right behind me. She picked me up by one arm, and spanked me into next week. As she tells it, the cop actually got out and thanked her, he was terrified that he wouldn't be able to stop.

To this day I am still terrified of crossing the street.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Disgruntled College Math Prof

Quote:
Quoth toolbert View Post
if there was only a magic stick that could teach everyone how to parent...
We used to call those "willow branches" or "baseball bats"

Old 08-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Preschool Teacher

I'm too lazy to search myself, but have there been any lawsuits over spankings as "child abuse?"

I wouldn't be surprised . . .

Old 08-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Moderated Poster

Quote:
Quoth Primer View Post
We used to call those "willow branches" or "baseball bats"
Hickory switch here....

Old 08-10-2006, 01:39 AM
Pinball Wizard

Quote:
Quoth kerrisan View Post
I'm too lazy to search myself, but have there been any lawsuits over spankings as "child abuse?"

I wouldn't be surprised . . .
Well, when my brother got my parents hauled to court, the judge heard his case, then laughed at him and showed him pictures of real abuse.
Closed Thread