Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest, decent people exist... really!

I was working at McDonald's, silently cursing humanity as usual. Two women place their orders: one orders a combo, the other orders just a sandwich. I run the orders and forget about them. About 10 or 15 minutes later, one of them comes back holding a receipt. Uh-oh, I think, I forgot something and she's going to bitch me out. I ask if something's wrong, and she said,
    "No, actually, I owe you. She (her friend) ordered a combo, I just got a sandwich, and you gave us two fries. So, how much do I owe you?"

I was blown away. It was true... being the slave to habit and ritual, I accidentally gave them two orders of fries. Do you guys have any idea how many customers would have just let that mistake slide without a second thought or a single word? Do you realize how many times I allowed myself to be screwed over by sleazy, dishonest customers? And this honest, decent woman noticed the mistake and was willing to do the right thing!

I thanked her profusely for her honesty and told her that because it was my mistake, she could just have the fries. She thanked me and walked away. Oh, it just made my day. Don't you love those customers who, at least temporarily, restore your faith in others?
    "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

I almost over paid a man a hundred dollars and as I was dishing out the money, he told me to do a recount and he was nice enough to let me know of my mistake. I told him exactly how I awesome I thought he was and it made my day and yes, restored my faith in humanity again.

Comment

I changed out a hundred for a hotel guest the other day and that night my bank came up $40 short. The only thing I could think of was that some of the twenties must have gotten stuck together but I didn't know what room he was in or anything. So I told our finance guy and he said to wait until Monday (this was Thursday) and if it didn't show up, I would have to replenish the bank, which, of course, I was planning to do anyway.

Well the next morning, the guy I changed the hundred for comes in and goes "Good, I'm glad you're still here!" Apparently he didn't really count the money til they were out on the boat and he realized he was $40 over what he should have. They got back too late for him to come in that night, so he came in the next morning and gave me back the extra twenties! It was so nice to have someone that honest around!
      "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
        I almost over paid a man a hundred dollars and as I was dishing out the money, he told me to do a recount and he was nice enough to let me know of my mistake. I told him exactly how I awesome I thought he was and it made my day and yes, restored my faith in humanity again.
        That was incredibly nice of him. I once had a customer give me an extra hundred dollar bill because the new bills stuck together. When I told him of his error, he sort of did a slow-blink, murmured thanks, and took back the bill. What got me was how nonchalant he was about it. As if it didn't matter that he almost lost a hundred bucks. I still tell the story at work because it was so amusing. Had it been me, I would have been hyperventilating. Too bad though, I could have made a c-note.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Every once in awhile we'll have a customer return something that they found in their groceries.

I'm absolutely floored by this every time...and I thank the customer every time. Then I love my job for the next three minutes until another SC comes up.

***My roommate works with me and a customer gave him too much money. So he was handing back the extra 20 and the customer told him to keep it for being honest!***
          --AmericanZero8503--
          Telling Stories from the Front Line a.k.a Customer Service at a Grocery Store

Comment

I once actually put a fancy looking ponytail in my pocket as I had my hands full of beauty products while shopping at a store specializing in beauty products, perfume, make up, body and haircare and all that kind of things, and I clean forgot I had it in my pocket when I paid for everything, but as soon as I put my hand in my pocket, I realized I forgot to pay for the pontail holder, rushed right back in and explained to the cashier, she looked suprised and stunned when I explained and apologized before paying up for the ponytail holder!
            I think she had a few sucky customers right before me, but it was my fault for forgetting about the item, but she was so suprised at my honsenty.

I definetly did learn my lesson there.. but still she and I was both suprised the alarms didnt go off when I walked out the first time with the item, nor no security approached me. Since then, they upgraded the security systems which was also a good thing because if I hadnt came back and been honsent, they wouldn't know about the flaws and fixed them!

Comment

In my first week working where I am now, I had a credit card total $180 short one day... not good! If I couldn't find the money by payday, it would have had to come out of my pocket.

The morning of said payday (before the pays had been processed), a regular customer came in and said "Last week when I paid my account you under-charged me". He had the register receipt for the correct amount and the credit card docket with two numbers swapped around. $180 difference in his favour, but he was honest and we fixed the mistake.

Comment

I once was buying a bunch of groceries and the cashier slid my PS2 game, Silent Hill 3, over the scanner without actually scanning it, and she didn't notice. At home, while looking at the reciept, I discovered that the game wasn't on the receipt and went back to the store and to the service desk to pay for it. When I showed her the game, explained the situation, and opened my wallet, the woman behind the counter looked at me like I had two heads.

I also once managed to drop 75 dollars in cash in a busy major retailer and went to the service desk about a half hour later and someone had actually turned it in. It was an employee, but still....I also had my new watch fall into a customer's bag and she actually came back to the store and turned it in at the service desk! I was floored in both of those cases. Also, recently, a customer in my lane realized her purse was missing and found that someone had turned it in to the service desk.
                Last edited by Despina83; 12-31-2007, 04:13 AM.

Comment

mom did that once.
                  she was shopping in her fav grocery store and bought some disposable oven pan or something like that

when she got home she found out she had 2 stuck together so ... when she went back she returned the other item - the people at the service desk thought she was nuts. but as mom felt.... it'll just end up in things like higher prices in the long run, and it was the right thing to do.

jsut by coincidence a few months later she got her reward... they had a store lottery and she won 500 bucks. she felt it was god's way of saying 'thank you for being honest'

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                    In my first week working where I am now, I had a credit card total $180 short one day... not good! If I couldn't find the money by payday, it would have had to come out of my pocket.

The morning of said payday (before the pays had been processed), a regular customer came in and said "Last week when I paid my account you under-charged me". He had the register receipt for the correct amount and the credit card docket with two numbers swapped around. $180 difference in his favour, but he was honest and we fixed the mistake.
                    I have to shake my head whenever I hear stories like this. In Colorado, it's illegal to force an employee to pay back shortages. Of course, they can still fire you for it, so most often, it's worthwhile to just do it.

Eric the Grey
                    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Working...
                    X