This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 Bottles of Gatorade?!

When I worked at Kroger, things were usually pretty boring. But when things got interesting (without becoming illegal), they really got interesting.

These guys weren't sucky, just . . . .weird.

One weekend we had a sale on the big bottles of Gatorade: 2 for 1. No limit. Well, things were going pretty quietly when we had an Indian boy (probably 9 years old) come to one of our lines and buy 10-15 bottles. Nobody thought anything of it. Soon after, an Indian girl (probably 7) came through one of our lines. No big deal, right? Well, she too bought 10-15 bottle of Gatorade! A couple of us at the front have noticed this, and are thinking "Eh?"
    Then . . . an Indian man comes through and buys 10-15 bottles of Gatorade. By now some of us are like
    One of the sackers looks out and sees that the boy and girl are standing outside a white van with no windows (just a tad creepy . . .) and that there is a woman (we assumed their mother) and an older man (we assumed the grandfather) standing with them. As soon as the man we assumed is the father gets back to the car, the mother starts coming in. She too buys . . . you guessed it: 10-15 bottles of Gatorade.
    They all cycle in and out of the store (boy, girl, father, mother, grandfather) and by now, every employee at the front end has noticed. We kind of want to point out to them that they don't have to try and trick us; there is no limit on our 2 for 1 Gatorade sale. But we're all too busy watching and laughing and being intruiged by it all. The sackers, being pretty bored, start counting how many bottles the family was accumulating. Between all of us (this was back before I became a cashier) we counted 85-90 bottles of Gatorade in varying flavors!
    We all had our theories, ranging from the idiotic ("they're gonna build bombs out of them and blow us up!") to the more rational ("they probably just bought them here to sell at their own store" (happens more often than you think)). Or maybe they just really like Gatorade!
    Right after the grandfather left with the last of the bottles, our floor manager, in a very composed and professional manner, paged the assistant manager to call his register. However, when his register phone rang, he couldn't help but lose control of his laughter when, instead of answering "Register whatever" or "This is whoever," he answered, "You're not gonna believe this!"
    Last edited by kerrisan; 08-14-2006, 03:03 PM.
    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Even worse, it's possible there was no logic behind it at all. Most customers prefer this method.
    The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

They were just planning on having a really intense game of basketball. Or they really wanted their sweat to turn yellow.
      Once the entire family had come through:
      Cashier: "You guys know you can just come in and buy as many as you need, right? There's no limit."
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
        Once the entire family had come through:
        Cashier: "You guys know you can just come in and buy as many as you need, right? There's no limit."
        But then things wouldn't have been as interesting. We kind of wanted to tell them, but we wanted to see just how far they would go.
        ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...how many more times would they have come through if there WAS a limit?
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

well maybe they didn't see the "no-limit" part. But it's possible that they're just stocking up for sports. The more people in the family you have, the more stocking seems to happen.
            I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
              Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...how many more times would they have come through if there WAS a limit?
              I've actually toyed with the idea that they only stopped because they were afraid of getting "caught." They were really trying to be sneaky. So I think the real question is:

How many more times would they have come through if we had told them there was no limit?

Comment

Maybe they were having a hockey tournament on the rooftop and needed to make sure they had plenty.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

DGoddess, gotta love the Clerks reference!!!!!!!
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

We recently had six-packs of Coke, Sprite, and other sodas on sale for $.98. That's right, under a dollar. We couldn't keep it in stock. I saw carts that had eight cases of soda in them. On that Saturday the stacked boxes of cans were about eight or nine feet high when i came in at 11 a.m. At 8a.m. Sunday morning there were a piddling five boxes left. The morning manager had to take down the sign outside so he wouldn't have to face hundreds of pissed-off customers

Comment

Quoth Rocko View Post
                      We recently had six-packs of Coke, Sprite, and other sodas on sale for $.98. That's right, under a dollar. We couldn't keep it in stock. I saw carts that had eight cases of soda in them. On that Saturday the stacked boxes of cans were about eight or nine feet high when i came in at 11 a.m. At 8a.m. Sunday morning there were a piddling five boxes left. The morning manager had to take down the sign outside so he wouldn't have to face hundreds of pissed-off customers
                      Yeah, really. For that price I'd borrow my friend's Ram and a hand-dolly if it was no limit. You'd have been out of diet in a heartbeat, and I wouldn't have slept for a month.
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Man, I gotta see Clerks again. All I remember from it is something about glass walls and Windex . . .

Comment

Buying 85 bottles of Gatorate is a lot, even for me. I prefer buying 1 or 2 bottles in the large size if possible depending on what flavor(s) they have.
                          My Fanfic Page
                          My Fiction Page
                          My Social Group
                          My Pet Social Group
                          My You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
                          X