This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day jitters!

Ok people, roll up and share your stories...

How was your first day, anything strange you had to bring, or do?

How did your co-workers treat you, did they put you through and initiation?

Any one day job wonders out there, when the first day was so shocking and horrible you didnt ever go back.

Any advice for people starting on their first day?
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

My first day was Sunday. Didn't have to do anything strange, but i broke the wheel off the shop freezer. I was told to pull it out and mop behind it, but when i tried to put it back the damn thing nearly fell on me . The manager is a mate of mine. When i gave him the incident report form, he just laughed and said, "i'd forgotten how accident prone you are."

Comment

Back when I worked for Stop 'n' Go (now circle K) We had a short shift of training in a simulation store. They had to units in a strip mall, one unit was the training "mock" store and the unit next door to it was the real store, they were connected so the employee on duty could help you out if you had questions and the manager/trainer could bounce back and forth. I did one day of training there, the next day of work, I was placed at a store in a real bad are (If anybody is familiar with Oxnard California it's La Colonia) on my first day there I found out that some guy was shot in the parking lot the following week, made it into the store where they called 911 for him. Well the day I started, he died. Surprisingly I worked at that store for a few more weeks.
      My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Crap... you had to bring it up, didn't you?
        First day at Chesterfield, the old SM gave me an hour of info about the store, then looked at me, and said, "And this is the point where I ask if you can handle the floor for an hour while I go do paperwork."
        M: "Ah, heh, heh-he... you're not kidding, are you?"
        "Nope."
        M: "No, I can't handle the floor, alone, on my first day, particularly seeing as this isn't really a scheduled shift, this was orientation. Not to mention, Rick, I think his name was, is still milling around back there somewhere...?"
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

On one of my first shifts at my current job, I had to swap out the pallets of soda. Coke had been on sale the previous week, so I had to bring back the pallet of Coke and put out a pallet of Pepsi.

The soda pallets are huge and tough to move with only a pallet jack. Plus this pallet was not particularly well-stacked.

So I was bringing the Pepsi up, and I got it about half-way to where it was supposed to go, and one side of the pallet tipped and fell into and endcap of chocolate-covered cherries. A bunch of the 12-packs busted open and I had a huge Pepsi and chocolate-covered cherry mess.

I was mortified, but fortunately the manager was pretty cool about it.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

When I was a teenager I worked at Captain D's for all of 3 days. The final kicker was that I had to take the ketchup bottles off the tables and put them in this drainer thing and refill other bottles from that. GROSS!!!! I never have eaten there again.
            USN Retired

Comment

My first day was fun. It was the weekend after the first Spiderman movie opened, at the busiest theatre in the city. Gah, there was no time for my co-workers to give me a hard time. No time for any extra training either, past the group video training we got the week before. And then my second weekend Star Wars Ep. 2 opened, and my first weekend seemed like a walk in the park. Each day that weekend set a new busiest day ever, with the Sunday having like 12,000 people come through.

Bright side was anytime after that, when a co-worker complained, "Oh, it's so busy! I can't keep up!" I can set them straight on what busy really is!
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
              X