This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAAAARG! I MISSED it!

So I'm in Lowe's a couple hours ago, right? Husband, Baby, and myself went into the door closest the service desk because I had a return. There was a young lady working at the service desk and she was in the process of calling a man over to the desk to help her with something. There was one other customer who was standing there silently and sullenly. Apparently, there was problem. The man and the male Lowe's employee exchanged a brief, low, conversation, and the employee said something like, "sir, we're going to get this straightened out for you, just please be patient." The tone was one of someone trying to sooth an agitated person.

The girl turns to me and says, "Ma'am, what can I do for you?"

All I needed was to know if I could exchange something I bought at a different Lowe's at that store. She said sure, so leaving the baby and husband inside wandering around, I trotted out to my van to retrieve the stuff I wanted to exchange (It was an armload, and I didnt' want to haul it inside if the answer was no.)

So I come back to the entrance and the big sliding door is HANGING OFF IT'S TRACK AND BENT OUTWARDS ONTO THE SIDEWALK OUTSIDE.

I go inside and the young lady is enlisting another customer to help her manhandle the door back onto it's track. I said "What the heck happened here?"

Girl says, "That last guy shoved it open and left."

So, not only did this guy (who wasn't particularly big, either, interestingly enough) shove open a huge automatic track door (he must've really charged at it is all I can think), but he must've had his face two inches from a big red sign that said "not an exit" while he was doing it.

And I freaking missed it.

Trust me, those doors are easy to knock off track. When I would open at Walmart, I knocked it off track a few times.
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
      And I freaking missed it.
      That is a shame. It probably would have been a great show.

And depending on the way the door is set up, they're designed to do it for emergency safety reasons. Usually just snapps back in place when it happens.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Ask if you can buy/rent a copy of the security tape.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

My mom once "broke" the door at a coffee shop.

The building was a former bank, so it had an outer glass door (complete with card-slot on the wall; I wonder if the reader is still in there), tiny vestibule, and then the inner door. One morning she went to pull the outer door open and it came off the hinges (luckily nobody was hurt). Unfortunately I was in NM at the time this transpired.

Door was replaced a few weeks later (it was the original outer door from the bank and possibly before, so it was due for replacement). She still hasn't heard the end of that, apparently (she's a regular, so she knows all the employees and vice versa).
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

yeah those doors are made to come off track. In case of an emergency (fire, power outage etc) all you have to do is push open the door and it swings out. Usually not a big deal as customers usually ram them if the doors dont open fast enough. (well at least at my store lol)

Comment

yeah, the thing is, the way the doors are designed, if you get them off the track, nine times out of ten they're a real pain to get back in track.

There's a series of pins, one in the top, one in the bottom, that hold the doors in place. Basically, you have to get the top one in and bottom in (spring loaded) to get them back in place.

HOWEVER, it is possible to knock one completely out of the track so that only the top pin/wheel set is holding int in place. IN such a case, inorder to get the door back in track you have to go to tools, grab a big crow bar and lever the thing back in place.

I should know, it seemed like every other day I was having to do that when we brought in the tractors.
              Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Working...
              X