This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supermarket remodeling follies

The market I usually shop at (used to be called A&P) is undergoing remodeling. It's long overdue and about two-thirds completed at this point. Right now the exterior is being stripped down and redone. The entrance/exit is taped off and there are big signs posted everywhere asking people to please get their carts from inside the store, and to return them to the cart corrals in the parking lot. Pretty simple, yes?

Well of course management made a big assumption about SCs and literacy. I came out of the store yesterday to find close to a dozen carts dumped in the fire lane right outside the exit. Why? Because the extra carts are stacked up on the sidewalk right alongside the fire lane, which means that 1) no one read the sign and 2) they also didn't want to take the time to pull the carts up over the curb and stack them.

Once a grocery lackey, always a grocery lackey . . . I grabbed the carts and bumped them up over the curb, stacked 'em and put 'em in the conga line, no big deal. Took all of five minutes. The kid who bagged my groceries came flying out about halfway through the process, obviously having seen me through the window (and probably sent out by a supervisor to prevent a possible lawsuit). "Ma'am! You don't have to do that ma'am! Honest!" I just laughed and said 'Come on, let's finish up' and had fun trading remarks about SCs and their inscrutable ways.

Then there's the little old ladies six deep at the CS desk bitching about how everything's changed around and they can't find anything any more and they all want sherpas to help them trek through the supermarket wilderness, but that's a story for another thread.

Well, same thing going on with a department store in my area and I think their almost I'm not quite sure. I tell ya it's bit of a mess and I can't wait till they're finished.
    Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
    My space
    Facebook

Comment

When my store got its relay, there wasn't a really big mess or anything. It wasn't as if they were knocking down walls or building new ones or doing much painting. All the work was done overnight and the contractors had everything cleaned up and were gone before the store opened.

It was still a pain in the rear having to find where everything had been moved to, and helping the cutomers find everything as well.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Brighid45 View Post
        I just laughed and said 'Come on, let's finish up' and had fun trading remarks about SCs and their inscrutable ways.
        you gave him a link to the site, right? Word of mouth and all.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

at this:

they all want sherpas to help them trek through the supermarket wilderness
          "OK, madam, right this way. Your complimentary sherpa will meet you in a moment. Enjoy your shopping adventure."
          Last edited by Dips; 08-18-2006, 03:29 PM. Reason: add word I forgot
          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            It was still a pain in the rear having to find where everything had been moved to, and helping the cutomers find everything as well.
            :snorts: My store does that, and doesn't have a remodeling project to blame it on...
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Oh yes! I tell all the cashiers, baggers and cool managers about this site. The only exceptions are my co-irkers, because I don't want them to know they're being written up here.

The sherpa comment--it's literal! I've never seen more wizened blue-haired crones demanding personal guides through the store. I mean, COME ON. How freakin' hard is it to pick up one of the store layout maps at the entrance (with all the aisle contents printed up in big, big letters) and figure it out for yourself? My favorite line to date: "Ever since you changed everything around nothing's the same!" *snort*

I have to say, the remodeling has been done with a minimum of fuss and mess. About the only time it got bad was when they were rewiring the a/c and lights and little thingies of ceiling tile fluff kept dropping down on customers.

Comment

How freakin' hard is it to pick up one of the store layout maps at the entrance (with all the aisle contents printed up in big, big letters) and figure it out for yourself?
                I wish my store had something like that. Well, it has something close to that, but we never have any.
                Unseen but seeing
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

...Little thingies of ceiling tile fluff kept dropping down on customers.
                  Now I've got that 'I've been dreaming of a White Christmas' song stuck in my head. GAH!
                  ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                  And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Cart SCs

Oh, man, I hate SCs who screw around with carts the most... being that I work in a grocery store, I guess.
                    The only thing wrong with society is the people in it.

Comment

It's stupid really--all you have to do is take a cart from inside the entrance doors, use it, then take it out to the corrals where the baggers or whoever will bring them back in eventually. You could even rescue one from the corral to take inside if you wanted to. No-brainer, right? So what do people do? They abandon them inside the store after they check out, leaving them in the way of other people; they dump them in the fire lane next to the extra carts outside; or they leave them in the parking spots, sometimes right next to the corrals. All of which went on before the remodeling started, but now it's twice as bad. I feel bad for the cart guys.

Comment

Return the carts? Oh hell, just leave them in the parking lot, in the middle of the aisle, blocking my register....

Return the handbaskets? Don't worry about that, just leave them on the floor for others to trip over; leave them on the shelf where the newspapers are stacked, or leave it on the counter at my register. Really, I don't mind.

Of course, there are those customers who ask me what they should do with said basket or cart...I raise one eyebrow and look at them quizically - the cool customers get the joke....

Then there are the ones who ask where they should return the baskets and carts. My simple answer: it goes back where you got it from.
                        The customer is always right until I decide he isn't.

Comment

Quoth Canadian In Maine View Post
                          Of course, there are those customers who ask me what they should do with said basket or cart...I raise one eyebrow and look at them quizically - the cool customers get the joke....

Then there are the ones who ask where they should return the baskets and carts. My simple answer: it goes back where you got it from.
                          Sometimes, in the case of the baskets, there are areas around the registers that the cashier can put the baskets until they are picked up and deposited in their natural homes. Or maybe that just happens at my store...
                          Unseen but seeing
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                          X