Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

The overcomer of SC's everywhere (I need a cape)
Old 12-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Cashier

Default The overcomer of SC's everywhere (I need a cape)

Look, up in the sky, it’s a bird, it’s a plane….wait…this is me we are talking about. I’ll start again. Look, down on the couch, it’s a stump, it’s a rock…no, it’s Bob the Goat, defender of Customer Servants everywhere!

(I love cheesy intros)

So, I took a break and ran to my favorite place in the world to get a double cheeseburger. They have a playland, but it is not frequently used. I was sitting there enjoying the warm salty greasy goodness when a mom pushes the door open and lets two kids into the store, then walks out and gets back in her car. The two kids, about 5, made a bee line for the playland. They began screaming at the top of their lungs and throwing balls at the large windows, turning the store into a mega sized drum, that I was trapped inside. I turn back around, hoping to see the mom about to come tell her children to stop being animals. Her car was gone.

I walked up to the counter and told the kid working there that she left them. He said he would send a manager out. I went back and sat guarding the door to the playland. When the manager walked toward the playland I told him that she had been gone about 5 minutes. He asked if it was a woman with short straight blonde hair. I said yes. He said “She does this all the time. Our hands are tied, because we have a corporate policy that we have to attempt to contact the parents, and if they respond, we have to wait up to two hours before calling the police. She knows that and uses us for 2 hours of daycare.”

I said “That is about the single largest load of bullcrap I have ever heard.”

The manager walked into the playland and asked the kids where their mom was. They said “she left us here. You can call her if you want.”

I flipped out my cell phone and called the cops. The managers hands may be tied, but mine are not. I told the police what was going on. They said that they had an officer that deals with social work cases and he would be there in 5 minutes. I waited about 3 minutes. I went into the playland and asked the kids for mommy’s phone number.

I called the lady and said “Maam, I am at the McDonalds, are you aware you left your children here?”

Her: Yes, I am on my way to get them now. I will be there in about an hour.

Me: Well, you may want to call the police department to find out where they are by then.

Her: You have a corporate policy that you have to wait up to two hours after contacting me to call the police. Talk to the store manager.

Me: Do you remember the beginning of the conversation where I introduced myself…I do not work for McDonalds. I am what you call a concerned citizen. The fact that you abandon your children at McDonalds is reprehensible. The police will be here any second to take your children. I hope that the next time you see them it is thru bars.

The officer showed up. I repeated every word of our conversation, including the part where she notified me of how long she would be. The McDonalds is just past a traffic light. About 3 minutes later she came SCREAMING up to the traffic light, slowed to about 10 MPH, and pulled thru the red light, cutting off a car coming the other direction. She jumped out of the car and came running up to the officer and I. She started to speak but the officer interrupted her

Officer: Are you the mother of those children?

Her: yes

Officer: First, I am putting you under arrest for reckless driving and running a redlight. Second, I have secured a statement from this gentleman here, and the store manager about what happened today, and about other similar incidents in the past.

Me: (To officer) You may also want to know that the store manager keeps an incident log. Such a thing would probably be recorded. You can use that also.

Her: But I didn’t do anything wrong…

Me: maam, who was watching your children for the last half hour?

Her:…uuhhh…the employees.

Me: This is not a daycare, this is not a babysitter service, this is a restaurant. Nowhere is there a sign telling you what the hourly rates are for McKidwatch.

The officer snickered. I told him that I had to leave, I was late getting back from lunch. I gave him my contact info, and told him where I worked. 2 hours later the officer stopped into my work and came to tell me that there was a good chance that her children would be taken from her and given to their father. He then asked to see my boss. He told my boss why I was late, and that he was going to submit me for a “Good Samaritan award”.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Applicant

Thank you.

Sometimes corporate really does tie up an employee's hands . . .it is nice to see a customer jump the loop.

Those children might just have a shot at being a productive part of society and contributing as a story giver to this site (instead of being subject material like they are headed for with her)

Old 12-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Baristo Extrodinaire

That is awesome. You rock.

I'm dedicating the next drink to you.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Office Stooge

Thumbs up

Super bob the goat saves the day again!

Great job.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Insert clever title here

Thumbs up

Good job, Bob!

Hopefully, the kids will be better off with their dad than with Mommie Dearest. I suspect she's going to be cooling her heels and thinking about her actions for a very long time.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Turning trees into files

Bob, you are the awesomest!

Having worked in family law, I will bet she fought tooth and nail to get custody of those children. Old, sad story.

A company can have policies, but if the policies break the law, then the company could be held responsible. If those children had gotten hurt, you know she would have sued.
Document everything
CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Old 12-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Beer Monkey

Bob, you are a true hero and I sincerely hope you get that Good Samaritan award. That woman was a reprehensible piece of garbage.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Area Manager

I love you. That is all.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:57 PM
crouching tiger, hidden perv

Quote:
I said “That is about the single largest load of bullcrap I have ever heard.”
I concur. I can't believe they actually expect the employees to be responsible for abandoned children for 2 hours or more. (Yes, I would consider them to be abandoned, even if it's only a couple hours.) Unfortunately, I can believe that a parent would do that.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Bagger

I think I love you.
Closed Thread