This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky Gas Station Clerk

Yes, I know what you're all thinking. Blas87 would be the last person in the entire world to call a gas station clerk sucky. After all, she worked at one for a year, and understands all the woes of carding, gas prices, donuts, etc etc etc etc etc etc and all that fun stuff.

Yes, I have experienced all of that. Yes, I have been through all of that. Yes, I have wanted to kill customers. Yes, I have wanted to throw things at people without ID. But here's the kicker: I kept my cool unless a customer pissed me off (even then, I'd stay as calm as possible, but wouldn't hesitate to be a smartass with them). If I had a nice, decent customer in front of me, I would never have dared to treat them the way this rotten witch treated me.

First of all.......I know a lot of people don't always know the date right off hand. When I have my weekends off, I totally forget by Sunday night what day it is. I also know that it is very hard to believe that people born in 1987 and 1988 are old enough to buy tobacco and lotto. Yes, it's VERY hard to believe, but you know what? If you're working at any place that sells alcohol/tobacco, you'd BETTER know what the cutoff date is, lest you'd like a big fine for selling to minors!

And every convenience store/grocery store/etc I know of has one of those signs that says "If you were born after this date in "year", you cannot purchase alcohol" or whatever. Our register at the gas station always prompted "Born before "date/day/year" when we scanned smokes or beer or lotto at the gas station. It's not that hard to know, in fact, it's VERY important. Clerks should know the cutoff dates, especially if someone born in 1989 tried to buy cigarettes.

It's already happened a handful of times......a clerk checks my ID and goes "Sorry, you aren't old enough" or stands there and counts on their fingers and thinks and thinks and calculates, or out loud says "Hey Mary, 1987 is too young for smokes, right?"................morons! I'm sorry to be mean to retail employees, but boy, to not know that is just being plain dumb.

Well, the other night, I went in and this clerk already appeared to be in a bad mood. I was pleasant with her, and she snottily barks, "Gimme ID!", with this look on her face. She looked at my ID for a good minute. I just got this ID three days before my birthday this year, it looks EXACTLY like me, I haven't dyed my hair or done anything to alter my appearance. She glared at it, and then did the infamous, "Hey Jo, 87 is too young isn't it?" and of course, her coworker looked at her like she was as dumb as a box of rocks. I paid with my debit card, which of course, she wanted to see ID again for. I showed it without a problem. Instead of quickly comparing signatures and looking for matching names, she looked my debit card up and down and made sure every single letter in my first and last name matched. She looked at me as if I were someone to be suspicious of. I signed the receipt (if it's over $25 you have to sign), and then she grabbed my ID and my debit card again and compared all three signatures!.......

Wow...either this store has gotten in a lot of trouble in the past, or I look like a total underage criminal, or this woman is too damn stupid to even know how old a person born in 1987 is! I'm sorry if it makes me sound PFB or extreme SCish, but I will not return to that store and deal with a clerk that ignorant and stupid again.

The proper way to ask for ID is "May I see ID?" or "Can I see your ID?", as is with asking for ID for a check/debit card/credit card. Comparing signatures only takes a couple of seconds. If the names match on the ID and the card, you're good. You don't need to look them both over as if they are golden tickets to this year's superbowl. If you know how to read and how to calculate 18/21 years ago, you should have no problem doing this efficiently and properly, and courteously.

This woman shouldn't have quit her day job as a high school secretary, geez.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

I'd go back and demand a manager.

Comment

Are you serious? Don't you realise that a good manager is worth more than his or her weight in gold?

Pricy, very pricy...

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
        Wow...either this store has gotten in a lot of trouble in the past, or I look like a total underage criminal, or this woman is too damn stupid to even know how old a person born in 1987 is! I'm sorry if it makes me sound PFB or extreme SCish, but I will not return to that store and deal with a clerk that ignorant and stupid again.
        Poor Blas. :comforting pats: there, there**™®
        Maybe she IS that ignorant and stupid...and on a power trip, besides.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

ID for use of a debit card? Is that different from the Interac system? (swipe card, customer chooses bank account then types a PIN).

I have never ID'ed a debit card or had 'em sign either...

Comment

I am going to have to side with the clerk here since you shouldn't be smoking anyway!!!

Comment

"Gimme ID!"
              was this paired with the dreaded cbf?

it makes me glad that i don't smoke, although, i haven't been carded in quite some time for alcohol; guess i look the age now...

yes, politeness when asking for id is a must; most don't like it, but deal-there are worse things after all. however, this person has no business being a clerk anywhere; tact is necessary for public relations, if you want to keep your job, and i'm betting she won't be there much longer with that behavior.
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

To clear up any confusion about the debit card, there are some stores where their technology isn't as up to date as it should be, and there isn't a "debit" option, so therefore, debit cards are ran as credit cards, and you have to sign the receipt (at this store, you don't have to sign if it's under $25). The gas station I worked at had to run debit cards as credit cards and check for ID as well, but I was never extremely rude about it, all I did was compare names and signatures quickly and efficiently.

Also, the new Wisconsin driver's licenses ARE a bit......odd looking, but I am not the only person who has one. Since I'm under 21, mine goes vertically. But even so, all the driver's licenses have taken on a new "look". That clerk had to have seen several of those IDs before, they've been around for at least a year. Some people honestly don't belong in that kind of business.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

The ones in Virginia have the date one will be 18 and the date one will be 21, as well as being vertical for under 18.

Comment

The state I'm in also has vertical ID's for people under 21. Is it the same in every state?
                    My Fanfic Page
                    My Fiction Page
                    My Social Group
                    My Pet Social Group
                    My You Tube Channel

Comment

Not in North Carolina or Akransas, though that might've changed since my licenses in those states were years ago (before I was 21, obviously).
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                      X