This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glorious Spam! Wonderful Spam! (long)

So this lady calls up yesterday saying that she gets an absurd amount of spam, and blah blah blah etc. etc. Her problem, she couldn't send emails out through Eudora because it kept crashing on her. She blames it on "the octopus program". (It's a program that filters out spam) She's unhappy with it and blames it for everything that's going wrong with her computer. I put in a ticket, someone goes over and checks it out and finds nothing wrong, just the computer being slow. She calls back this morning, and I'm the only one around, so here goes nothing...

SC: Her
    Me:

SC: My Eudora is frozen. It's trying to download the new messages, and all I have is this white screen.
    Me: (Ooh boy. Frozen computer. Fun.) Alright, I'll put a ticket in for you and I can head over right now?
    SC: *complains about frozenness of computer, blames octopus program, etc.*
    Me: Well, I can go over there right now for you, if you would like.
    SC: *tells me she can't do anything on the computer, blah blah*
    Me: The only thing I can really do for you is go over there and take a look right now.
    SC: I need this fixed though! I'm too busy and I can't have this keep happening!
    Me: The only thing I can do is come over there and try to fix it, ok? I'm coming over.

Geeze lady, accept the fact that I'm coming RIGHT THIS MINUTE to help you and stop talking! I know it's important, which is why I'm leaving NOW! Oy!

So I get there, start up Eudora (it had unfrozen and closed by then) and lo and behold, after about 20 seconds, it starts to download her emails. In the meantime, she has mentioned how busy she is and moves to another computer to work. While she's there, I hear her go, "Oh come on!" to the computer. I look over, and she's waiting for a page to load in IE. Patience is not in this woman's vocab, apparently. So I'm pretty sure I know what's happening. This lady, with her octopus program, opens her Eudora, the octopus program slows it down as it filters out (no lie) over 600 spam messages, then allows the proper emails to go through. While she is being impatient and waiting for it to load, she thinks it's not doing anything, and starts clicking around. The program is now being overloaded with tasks, can't follow, and freezes. This lady panics and calls us. Tragic case of a PEBKAC error. She also swears that she didn't use that email address for anything, but somehow, magically, she gets hundreds of spam messages *per day*. No one else on our campus gets this much crap in their mailbox. Her computer has been checked for viruses, spyware, etc. and come up clean... She also complained that the "octopus" program catches all new email addresses, even legit ones, and she has to go through her spam and sort it all out. Well, which do you prefer? Going through a program that catches all of the spam and some of the legit or going through all the spam and deleting it every day? Cuz I think the latter is much better.
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

Good dog! It sounds like she needs to cut her losses and get a new e-mail address with all that spam reamage. And heavily disciplined with a frozen cod to never use the address again for anything other then something COMPLETLY ligit. Ouch!

Comment

Quoth WanderingSaint View Post
      Good dog! It sounds like she needs to cut her losses and get a new e-mail address with all that spam reamage.
      She's trying, but it's given to her by the system admin and can't be changed. So to her and she can deal with it. Not to mention, she's not very nice any time I have to talk to her for any reason (I guess she's like this with everyone). Although she was strangely polite today...

And heavily disciplined with a frozen cod to never use the address again for anything other then something COMPLETLY ligit. Ouch!
      I strongly concur. I also think she *might* have learned her lesson... but I wouldn't mind the frozen cod treatment on her either!
      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
      The Office

Comment

"Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, LOVELY SPAM, WONDERFUL SPAM! LOVELY SP---"

Oh wait wrong kind of spam.
        The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

After realizing I was getting 12 or more emails a day, and about 3 spanish people adding me to their MSN every day, I decided to figure out where I was displaying my email addy. So I googled my e-mail address and looked at which pages it showed up on, that I had an account with. I removed the email or changed it to "ask" for about five of my main web sites, and lo and behold, I only get maybe two spam messages a day now, and next-to-zero spanish people messaging me. (I also told MSN to block anyone trying to add me if I didn't add them first.)

So... If she really wants the problem fixed? Tell her to google her email and remove it from any websites she visits. Works like a charm!

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
            "Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, LOVELY SPAM, WONDERFUL SPAM! LOVELY SP---"

Oh wait wrong kind of spam.
            Not to be Captain Obvious, but that is after all how the other kind of "spam" got its name
            "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Honestly, this thread reminded me of THIS. I love this one and I'm sure you guys'll get a kick out of it.
              You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Working...
              X