This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking Words

I'd put this in off-topic, but a key part of it happened at work, so I thought I'd put it here. The Mods'll do what they do best if I'm wrong.

A while ago, just under two months, my fiancee died in her sleep... and while I was expecting it to happen eventually, I wasn't thinking it would happen for another 50-60 years, well AFTER we were married. Take a wild guess how I took it.

Because work only gave me 2 days off I had to go back in while I was still pretty much a wreck. The job being what it is, I ended up a crying wreck and walking out... I did get the shift manager's okay to leave, but it was still mid-shift with no note. I've been living off savings and the good will of a former roomie I've moved back in with, and I'm back in a condition where I want to get back out there and do something besides mope.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has an idea on how to put something like that down on an app/resume under 'reason for leaving' that doesn't sound like I'm unstable or unreliable.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

I would just put something like "unexpected death in the family" Then if they ask about it at an interview or whatnot, you can explain that your previous job was unsupportive, and did not provide you the necessary time to grieve so you had no other choice but to quit.
    The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
      I would just put something like "unexpected death in the family" Then if they ask about it at an interview or whatnot, you can explain that your previous job was unsupportive, and did not provide you the necessary time to grieve so you had no other choice but to quit.
      Well put, very well put.
      I drive a hearse. Anyone want to go for a ride? Don't let your first ride be your last!

Comment

Im so sorry to hear that you lost a loved one My sympathies are with you.

I agree about the "unexpected death" on the resume, it should be more than sufficent.
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I find that the best places to work for are the ones who give you a chance to explain the quick leaves of absence on your resume. When I was being interviewed here at the paper, the boss asked me for my explanations, and while I had to just be honest about Awful Waffle (there was no way in hell I would be sleeping on a cot in their kitchen during Christmas so I pretty much just up and left), I did get to explain that the other jobs had good reasons for my leaving...hazardous conditions, unjustifiable firings, etc.

But "unexpected death" is good. Anyone who doesn't understand that is a place you don't want to work for anyway.
          "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys. I really appreciate it. Now, I just have to hope I get a job out of this batch of apps and I don't have to go out and collect a dozen or so more. Any managers on here in Springfield, MO and need a worker?
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

What's your specialty, JustADude? Not in Springfield myself, but I might know some people.

Comment

Customer oriented type jobs (cashier, customer service, sales-floor, etc) seem to be my strong-suit, though I'm fairly quick to pick up most things that I try to learn.

Comment

Wow, I'm late here, but.... The "death in the family" explanation is excellent, but if you decide you don't want to specify, for whatever reason, just what happened, you could always say "family emergency" or even "personal reasons" and then answer any questions that may come from that.

I have something similar on my resume and find that I prefer to let the employer ask me instead of feeling compelled to spill my life story during the interview.

Good luck to you in your job hunt and I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.
                  Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Working...
                  X