This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Mere Sign Will Deter Her Majesty

Sorry about the typo in the topic title.

There's a family-run seafood place in town which will be closing soon due to their landlord's decision to tear the place down. So my husband stopped in for a plate of golden-fried goodness before it's too late.

While in line he took a nostalgic look around and noticed a sign over the napkin dispenser. "Please don't waste napkins. Thank you."

Anyone who has worked in a restaurant with a napkin dispenser knows what lead them to post that polite little reminder. My husband was kind of staring at it and admiring the refreshing honesty, but he wondered if the sign was effective. He didn't have to wait long to observe an unintended effect.

As he stood there he watched an older woman come up to the napkin dispenser, she stopped and (apparently) read the sign. She paused a moment, then reached in for a two inch stack of napkins.

Next, she marched over to her table, used about five napkins to clear off some crumbs, took the rest in her hand, marched over the wastebasket, deliberately threw them away, then marched back to the dispenser for another two inch stack to bring back for her family's meal.

I guess she showed that horrible offensive sign who is boss.
    Last edited by Dips; 08-25-2006, 08:41 PM.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

I don't take more than necesary napkins now, but when I was single I would always take a few extra to use in the house.

Comment

you wouldnt believe the massive amount of napkins we have to throw away at the movie theater because people leave them behind
      the worst is when they blow their nose or wipe their nose with them and leave them in the cupholder

Comment

Quoth Boulder_Bear View Post
        I don't take more than necesary napkins now, but when I was single I would always take a few extra to use in the house.
        I think that there's a big difference between taking some home to use, and grabbing a huge stack of them to throw 98% of them away, unused.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Some people are just bone-deep ignorant.

Comment

Quoth Brighid45 View Post
            Some people are just bone-deep ignorant.
            Willfully so, in a lot of cases.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

The sign is a useless weapon against an SC. They either cannot read it which makes their brain cells explode. My supervisor, pissed off that nobody was pulling into my lot, grabbed the sign and started shaking it and it actually worked for a bit.
              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I once told a lady who did the 2 inch pile-O-napkins (I was there getting a pizza), "Ya know, tampons arn't that expensive." She gave me a dirty look and people around her started laughing.

/Probably going to hell for that and other things I have done.
                "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

They should totally have saved security camera footage and used it as justification to add a $1 napkin surcharge on her next order!
                  "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
                  -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
                    I once told a lady who did the 2 inch pile-O-napkins (I was there getting a pizza), "Ya know, tampons arn't that expensive." She gave me a dirty look and people around her started laughing.

/Probably going to hell for that and other things I have done.
                    Oh! D**N my sides hurt. I always wanted to die laughing!

Comment

Working...
                    X