This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loser at Lowe's

So, DH and I were BBQ grill shopping this weekend. Lowe's was having a killer sale with 20% off on the BBQ's. The department was packed, of course. The employees were going nuts, naturally.

Enter the loser. He first finds the cheapest BBQ grill he can find - I don't fault him for that alone - but what I do fault him for is:

*Monopolizing the employee's time by trying to haggle a lower price and then;
    *Monopolizing the manager's time when the employee said no;
    *Cursing at the employee and the manager for not giving him a discount;
    *Buying the BBQ grill anyway and then demanding that someone assemble it for him.

The beauty part was the conversation he had with the employee re: assembly. L= loser E=employee

L: Well if you can't give me a discount the least you can do is put it together.
    E: I can take you to the customer service desk and we'll set it up.
    L: You mean you can't assemble it NOW? I neeeed it todaaaaay!
    E: You want it TODAY? Errr..
    L: Yes, you're here all day anyway, aren't you? And you're open til 9.
    E: (looking around at the 10 people waiting for help) Yes.. but...
    L: So what time should I be back to pick up my grill?
    E: How about 9:00?
    L: 9:00?!!!! That's too late, rant rave curse
    E: OK then you can come by and pick it up in a few days. (Turning to another customer) Can I help you?

The loser just sputtered and stomped off to customer service, no doubt to bitch and find another manager.

We waited our turn, got a great deal on a BBQ and slipped the guy a couple of bucks... he was a really nice kid and turns out he is working his way thru school there.

I guess it takes all kinds - I haven't seen that many SC's here in our new home, but I guess they are everywhere.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.
    --attributed to Albert Einstein

wow... some people should not be allowed in public or to use fire
    but in the future, be careful about doing that
    a lot of companies fire employees for taking tips

Comment

Really? That SUCKS.

This guy not only got the forklift out to get our grill, but he grabbed another guy and they loaded it on our truck for us - and made sure we got a propane tank to go with it.

I figured on a 90+ degree day, these guys are doing some extra physical work and they SHOULD get a couple of bucks to go have a beer after work.

But knowing companies as I do, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that they could put a policy like that in place. I will be careful in the future.
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.
      --attributed to Albert Einstein

Comment

As a Lowe's employee, I have witnessed such behavior on a daily basis. The level of entitlement people have is growing dangerously high. People want discounts, now, because they walk in the door.
        I really want to say "Lowe's Home Improvement, not Lowe's Flea Market."

On a side note, that was really great that you could understand and sympathized with him, and especially that you were a good customer.

I wish people like you would shop in my store.

-Minor thread hijack-
        I had a guy one day, buying a range(stove). He was going to get the display, so I offered 10% off retail, you know scratches/dents the whole lot. Well I hear him counting out loud, he thought I was going to give 10% for EACH scratch. I guess 10 scratches or dents and I'm outta luck.
        -Done-

cm
        Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

Comment

Fun with words

The SC doesn't understand the meaning of the word, least.

SC: Well if you can't give me a discount the least you can do is put it together.

You: Actually the least I can do for you is...nothing at all! Who can I help next?
          Last edited by Dips; 08-29-2006, 06:14 PM.
          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Too funny Dips!!!

Comment

Quoth MamaMootz View Post
              Really? That SUCKS.
              Yes, really. Tons of companies see it as bilking their customers. By tipping, they think it will create a system where the company plays favorites for the highest bidder.

Also, it could make the company look crappy, like they don't pay enough in wages. And it could also illegal, when it comes to accounting since I am not sure that the employee will pay taxes on tips, etc.

Comment

Customer Beating Robot, that's why if I'm going to tip someone who is not normally tipped, I will make it look like I'm shaking their hand while giving them the tip.
                Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

I have actually told a manager before that if I receive special service, than I am going to tip the employee who helped me. If that is a problem, then I will not accept special service.

This while someone was pressed into helping me at a place that had a no-tipping sign on the door. I don't much care about their policy. If someone's out loading my crap into my car, then it becomes MY policy. And my policy is to tip as I see fit.

Fair's fair. I won't be party to a company treating its employees poorly.
                  Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 08-31-2006, 05:39 PM. Reason: sloppy typing

Comment

Quoth Customer Beating Robot View Post
                    Also, it could make the company look crappy, like they don't pay enough in wages. And it could also illegal, when it comes to accounting since I am not sure that the employee will pay taxes on tips, etc.
                    That's one of those "grey areas." You're *supposed* to pay taxes on tips, since technically, it is considered "income." However, if there's nobody keeping track, there's not alot that can be done about it.
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

My thoughts on tipping, whether it's sanctioned by coporate or not.

If they go above and beyond in helping me, or I have a lot of stuff (and especially if it's heavy), I'll slip a few bucks in a handshake or something.

If the person looks like they're doing it only in hopes of a tip, then they don't get anything except a polite thank you. So there.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                      X