Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im pretty sure that light at the end of the tunnel is a train...l.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im pretty sure that light at the end of the tunnel is a train...l.

Oh mother of Godzilla! . Just when I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be a train… Im sorry this is so long.. Needed to vent.

Here is the basic Rundown of the last 2 weeks of my working life.

Monday2 weeks ago: I found out I was being moved to a new position. Better hours, Better job, Better boss, and best of all it would involve some graphic design work! SCORE. I was so excited.

Wednesday: My boss tells me she has to take Thursday Friday and Monday off to go see her aunt because her aunt has broken her wrist… OK no biggie. Three days on my own. Kinda ofsucks because it means working unpaid overtime but hell the light is getting closer so what the hell.

Friday: I find out that my boss is going to have to take more time off (possibly for extended periods of time) because of family matter. I assumed it was the aunt. I was wrong. I can deal was going to take them awhile to replace me anyway!

Tuesday: My boss is in and tells me she is going to have to go to America because her brother has had spinal surgery and needs help with his family… OK.. Wonderful so now my Promotion/move is put off till she gets back.. So I ask her Ball Park how Long I was looking at... 9 weeks… *whimpers* and Wednesday is her last day before she leaves…

Wednesday: I find out that she will be back on MAY 5th so my promotion is delayed until then and that I am going to be training my replacement on top of doing my own work and hers. But I am getting temp… Ok temp will be helpful.. OH wait it’s the evil temp I had last time.. Oh well I thought at least I wont have to train her again! (Ill try and dig up the thread on my evil temp from last my boss was away)

Thursday: I find out I’m getting my temp but not until the 10th of March so I am on my own till then. Starting an hour early and barely getting lunch while doing 2 peoples jobs... Also they have put a rush on hiring for my job now so ill be training the newbie without anyone to help me while working extra hours and they are also expecting me to start learning things for my new role while doing all this… *whimper* I don’t think I’m going to survive!

Monday: They are interviewing for my position today… Had several of the idiots who applied ring and say they cant find the office or they missed the phone call inviting them for an interview…* breaths deep* God dammit!

UPDATED
    Monday Again: They have hired someone to replace me... She starts the same day as the temp...
    This means I am going to have to work out what the temp is going to be doing and juggle my work and train the newbie..
    We only have 2 desks for three people... this is going to be fun! Oh and HR is disputing me getting my Time In Liu... Friday i was so stressed I nearly passed out so I got sent home so today I am snowed under... *tears out hair!*

Thank you so much for all the replies! It helps to read them and take my mind off the crap at work!
    Last edited by TealJellyfish; 03-03-2008, 12:00 AM.

Crap Lexie... Hopefully things will be ok shortly...
    When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Quoth Slytovhand View Post
      Crap Lexie... Hopefully things will be ok shortly...

68 days til my boss gets back (not including today) so yeah it's gonna take awhile!

Comment

Unpaid overtime? Excuse me?
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Unpaid overtime SUCKS!

Where I work, we get unpaid overtime. That's why so many employees are hording their vacation time and are well over the "limit" and are now being forced to take a day off here and there.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

How can you get unpaid overtime? I mean, sorry, I'm in California. They can't do that here. What state are you in? What is the law?
            Document everything

Comment

I'm in Australia and I'm on a salary. There is this little clause in my contract that says
              "You may be needed to stay longer than your hired hours to complete you work. You will not get paid extra for this time"

It could be worse. My friend is covering from 7am for me. If he wasn't such a sweetheart I would be here from 7am to 6pm everyday!

Some good news though!I found out that I am getting time in Liu(sp?) for the over time I'm working because the assistant manager is kick arse and likes me!

Comment

Quoth Wicked_Lexi View Post
                I'm in Australia and I'm on a salary. There is this little clause in my contract that says
                "You may be needed to stay longer than your hired hours to complete you work. You will not get paid extra for this time"
                While I'm glad to hear that you're getting some help, I would note that your contract reads specifically:

"You may be needed to stay longer than your hired hours to complete your work."

Notice it says YOUR work. It does not say YOUR MANAGER's work, or YOUR COWORKER's work. If you take on additional responsibilities, you should be compensated for them.
                Document everything

Comment

Quoth Wicked_Lexi View Post
                  Monday: They are interviewing for my position today… Had several of the idiots who applied ring and say they cant find the office or they missed the phone call inviting them for an interview…* breaths deep* God dammit!

Ummmm, just because they missed a call or couldn't find the place, does not mean that they are idiots. I have been known to do that. Wait all day for a phone call, and no one calls. The second you go to the bathroom and they call.
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Wagegoth, salaried people usually do not get paid overtime.

As for me, well, I noticed how vague and wrong what I wrote appears to be. We have our mandatory overtime, as you are all aware.

And before anyone jumps on me, I realize this is legal and the company is within their rights. But it still pisses me off.

Let's say you have to do your 8 hours of overtime a week. But you get sick and call out for a day. Or say you want to take a day off, using your vacation time. You will NOT be paid overtime for the overtime you still have to do.

That's why (shhh!) if I take a day off or I call in sick, I will not do my weekly overtime. I'll continue to do it this way until I get caught. I'm sorry, but you cannot penalize me for using vacation time that I acrued by working full time. Especially if you are going to jeopardize my sleep schedule and force me to sacrifice a weekend night every other weekend, if I take a day off or get sick, there's no way I'm going out of my way to work for straight pay.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Lexi's not in the U.S., so I don't know what the laws are, but a company in the U.S. cannot just say that a job is a salaried, i.e., exempt position, unless certain criteria are met. A factory job is almost certainly not going to meet those criteria.

Here's some information from the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development:

"What is meant by “salary”?
                      “Salary” is a regularly paid amount of money, constituting all or part of an employee’s wages, paid on a weekly or less frequent basis, that is not subject to reduction due to the quality or quantity of work performed. This is the general definition in federal law (29 CFR 541.118). Since Wisconsin’s overtime law does not define “salary,” and since Wisconsin’s overtime exemptions are interpreted in a manner consistent with federal interpretation, this is the applicable definition.

Which employees can be paid on a salary basis?
                      Any employee can be paid on any basis – salary, hourly, commission, piece-rate, flat rate as long as they receive minimum wage for all hours worked in the pay period, and as long as overtime is paid when required . Overtime is usually required at time and one-half the regular rate of pay for hours worked in excess of 40 in a week. There is a provision in the overtime regulations ( Chapter DWD 274, Wisconsin Administrative Code) that “exempts” employees whose primary duty is administrative, executive, or professional work from overtime requirements. One of the requirements for each of these types of work to meet the exemption is that they are paid on a salary basis.

Not all salaried employees are “exempt.” Employees must meet the definitions in the law in order to be classified as exempt. For more information on these definitions see “Wisconsin Hours of Work and Overtime Law”.
                      " Here's that link:
                      http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/er/labor_...Establishments
                      Last edited by wagegoth; 02-27-2008, 04:00 AM.
                      Document everything

Comment

Working...
                      X