This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I or shouldn't I?

My company is rolling out a new position at all its stores. It's called "customer service support."

Basically, this job has the following responsibilities:
    1. Bring in carts from the parking lot.
    2. Do customer carryouts.
    3. Backup cashiering when needed.
    4. Make sure the bathrooms are cleaned and stocked (according to the implementation memo, they want the bathrooms checked at least 5 times per shift)
    5. Do any other maintenance duties that may come up (including changing light bulbs, vacuuming carpets and mopping floors if necessary, shoveling snow and salting in winter, and cleaning up messes such as puke and the Shit Lady, but that's a whole 'nother story)

The downsides to this job are:
    1. the work could be fairly gross and unpleasant in hot and cold weather.
    2. I would have to take a pay cut (I'm making an extra dollar per hour for working third shift).
    3. The Shit Lady may not be banned from my store.

The upsides are:
    1. I am familiar with the work.
    2. Cleaning up gross things doesn't bother me as much as it does other people.
    3. I'd like to get back on days anyway.
    4. If it's full time, I need the benefits. I'm still paying for my own health insurance, and my premium just went up.

I am only going to consider taking the job if it's full-time. If it's part-time, I am not going to bother.

So...if it is full-time and offered to me, do you think I should take it.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Sounds like an all-rounder position, which is good as it gives you varied work. However, if you're the manager who needs to cut payroll, do you cut dedicated core team members or auxillaries?

I'd be wary.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
      However, if you're the manager who needs to cut payroll, do you cut dedicated core team members or auxillaries?

I'd be wary.

Rapscallion
      True, but in a lot of a companies, full time with benefits is a less risky position than part-time. Not all of them -- some will cut the full-time people first because they're more expensive overall.

Anyway, IPF, will the benefits offset a lot of the pay cut (especially considering you're already paying for health insurance)?

Personally, I've always been attracted to newly created positions.
      I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

I'd say as long as it's full time, go for it. You've said you wouldn't mind the disgusting parts, and the pay cut would probably be offset by both the benefits, and the joy of being back on days!
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Plus it sounds like you won't be in direct contact with customers all the time. So even if you wind up on till for awhile and you get an SC you can take solace in the knowledge that soon you'll be off doing something else.

There have been a few SC's that I've dealt with that made me wish I was cleaning a gross bathroom instead of talking to them.
          "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
          HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post

Anyway, IPF, will the benefits offset a lot of the pay cut (especially considering you're already paying for health insurance)?

Personally, I've always been attracted to newly created positions.
            Well, considering my health insurance premiums are now $250 paid quarterly, I think it would be worth it.

Plus, after a while I could take paid vacation.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
            X