This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most money you've gotten in change

The one thing I hate about being a cashier on the drives is how many people don't have dollar bills but enough change for me to take a swim in. I had one person give me $5 in change, and of course it was off. Or there was my coworker who had $20 in change. The record is $30 total in change I've heard.
    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Well, I had someone "try" to give me almost $20 in loose, unrolled, mixed change on a Friday night with a line a mile long. It was for beer, cigs, and junk. I DID NOT take it. I gave the guy wrappers and had him roll it. What gets my goat is when someone tries to use change when they have bills in their hand. Major suckage. They'll use the bills after I call them on it, then go get tons of junk just to use the change. And they just have to spend every.last.dime.of. it. I have rolled $65 before, with only $20 of it quarters. It's almost always on Thursday. They rarely buy food, just beer and cigs. Gets really bad at the end of the month. I hate working then.
    USN Retired

Comment

I ran into the change payers at Chili's a lot. I think the most I received there was $20 in quarters with an additional 7 something in loose change. The quarters were rolled, but of course, learning from my grandparents who ran a little grocery store in a bad neighborhood - you have to cut those roles open in view of the customer in case they are stuffed with filler items like buttons or foil or something else to make them look full!
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

£50. *dies* I only wish I was joking. It was all in pound coins, 50ps, and 20ps. Apparently it was an office collection; but whyyyy couldn't they have just paid with a credit card and taken the small change for themselves??? I had trouble fitting it all in my till. *cries*
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

$75 in quarters once. I didnt take it but heard about it. Some lady was going to the children's hospital, and she kept on saying how sorry she was so the clerk was ok with it.

Comment

I believe my record was $35...with very few quarters.

(Paid to me by a customer, not anything that I have even done.)
            Last edited by Bella_Vixen; 09-05-2006, 01:57 AM. Reason: clarification
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

I had a little girl pay for a huge bag of pick n mix which was nearly £5, in 1p's and 2p's from her piggy bank
              I sat for ages and counted it all and she didn't have enough either..fortunately a lady in the queue behind her lent her a bit more money.
              No way would I have done that if it wasn't a little kid though, adults should know much better.

Comment

I once had somone come in to the store where I used to work and buy $60 worth of groceries. They handed me 3 ziplock bags full of assorted change and tell me they don't know how to count. I had to count the change, it was unclear if they were just lazy or really couldn't count because they seemed a bit off in a backwoods kind of way.

Comment

I got $15 in toonies and loonies a few nights ago, but I really needed it as we were short on change and weren't getting the coin order till the next day.

Comment

I had a guy pay me with a mason jar full of pennies and nickels once, back in my 7-11 graveyard shift days. He came in around 2 a.m. and made me very nervous--I really thought once I started counting out the coins he would try to rob me, but he just took his purchase and left. I think the amount was around $5 or so.

Comment

I might win this one . .hmm, this week I think it was $4000 in quarters deposited by one customer.
                      *We have a coin laundry as a customer

A few hundred dollars in coin isn't rare though - we only take it rolled.

Comment

My biggest was a $25 order paid entirely in pennies. Fortunately, it was at the self-checkout. Unfortunately, the self-checkout hardware can only take one coin every two seconds or so, and it rejects out anything taken in the interim.

That guy was there for over 45 minutes. And when the time came to close the self-checkouts and empty the money, it was sure a trip carrying all that to bookkeeping.
                        Desk-On: Apply directly to the forehead.

Comment

I don't recall ever having more than a few dollars in change. I think if it were more than that I'd suspend their order and send them off to the Coinstar. They don't want to lose the 9.5% counting fee? Too damn bad. Go to a bank, not a grocery store.
                          "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
                          "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
                          My MySpace
                          My LiveJournal

Comment

I think its stupid that you have to accept so much change like that. They should have jet sorts by the register---so you can just dump the unsorted or sorted change into there and get the amount in a flash. It does make sense.

Comment

dimbulbs, indeed...

I think the largest amount I got in change was $6.50 for a 24-pack of pop. Thankfully it was late, so no lines. He just had it in a plastic bag, and was like: "I think it's enough" I'd refuse anything over $5 in (coin) change if it was busy.

of course, the bank located in the store has a change sorter, and spits out a receipt to take to the teller. Mind you, some nitwits take it to us cashiers, thinking we'd use it as some form of payment. [doing best Napoleon Dynamite impression] "Idiot!" I'd have to state that they take it to the bank tellers, not us...this happened a couple times.

one time, on my last job (which sometimes made me feel like I stepped backwards in time, but whatever)...a young boy wanted paper currency in exchange for $20 that was ALL IN PENNIES! "Sorry, we don't do that." "But they did last time?" "Well, try the bank next door...bye."

yep, I'm evil...
                              HI, I'M NEW TO ALL OF THIS wave of approval ™©®

Comment

Working...
                              X